Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Qatar World Cup

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Is anyone actually going ? I’m going for 2 games, was kind of non pluses but looking forward to it now we are a few weeks away. Pleasantly surprised by how much is going on out there during the month and half expected it but the relaxation of alcohol rules in public will help. Hopefully get tickets for Argentina / Mexico while out there.

I was also a bit non plussed about South Africa because England games weren’t in the best places and the weather was terrible (depths of winter) - but it was a brilliant tournament despite Englands showing.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I do, I am pretty sure most people do unless they have been living under a rock.

Fine, ban Iran, however that doesn't answer the question as why Ukraine should replace an Asian teams place in the world cup.

It took longer than expected, but it was predictable that calls for Ukraine should be included have come.
They first came from Ukraine....................

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No, I can't be arsed with whataboutery.

You really can’t just brush off the valid comparisons, like that.

You’ve suggested that one nation should be banned, for the crime of supplying arms to another, who are wreaking destruction on a civilian population.

Its an absolutely fair question, for people to ask you why you feel that same sanction, should NOT equally apply to England, or other countries, supplying bombs for the Saudi government to drop on Yemeni schools and hospitals.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Good luck with that - we may have to insist on Ecuador and Argentina withdrawing too for that!
I think you might have missed my point.
Which is broadly the same as a lot of other people are making.
If we want to ban other countries for supplying weapons to countries committing war crimes, we have to be prepared to not turn up ourselves.
The fact that we individually had no part in those transactions is neither here nor there.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The whole thing is so unedifying bling fest. Years of construction and thousands of deaths for build stadiums for a 4 week tournament only to take them away afterwards.

The really is the ultimate in sports washing for a country trying to pretend to be something it isn't.

Every stadium is still air conditioned, WTF are we doing? And this despite moving the whole thing to the winter.

Words fail me

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I know it's been posted elsewhere but thought it deserved it's own thread

Much as I hate praising Aussie sportsmen (my daughter currently being there with her Australian partner :wink:) I await England's response with baited breath

i doubt there'll be one , Southgates already been gagged by the Qatar world cup committee head Sheik , whatever his friggin' name is , try not to get hung up on the Aussie thing , you can't judge a nation by it's cricketers alone ....Qatar 22...?? it's a no from me .

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The whole thing is so unedifying bling fest. Years of construction and thousands of deaths for build stadiums for a 4 week tournament only to take them away afterwards.
to be fair it’s better than the massive white elephants that are left in Brazil & South Africa which came at a huge cost and have not been used since

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Is anyone actually going ? I’m going for 2 games, was kind of non pluses but looking forward to it now we are a few weeks away. Pleasantly surprised by how much is going on out there during the month and half expected it but the relaxation of alcohol rules in public will help. Hopefully get tickets for Argentina / Mexico while out there.

I was also a bit non plussed about South Africa because England games weren’t in the best places and the weather was terrible (depths of winter) - but it was a brilliant tournament despite Englands showing.
South Africans are football mad as is the continent on the whole , they were always gonna put on a blinder with the exchange rate , the general vibe of the place and everything being cheap and plentiful for travelling fans , the absolute OPPOSITE to this abomination of an event , i can't remember now but i think Australia were also one of the countries that missed out on this particular bid , so you have gone from one of the most free living , liberal minded, inclusive options to one of the most restrictive , drachonian , elitist cultures on the planet with a climate that matched Death Valley and who will demolish the majority of the infrastructure once the tournament is over , in what way does that help the environment , why not convert the facilities to house refugees , displaced people and asylum seekers etc....?? There have to be 10s of thousands of Yemeni's made homeless in the last few years , or do we just accept that they will probably end up in Bognor.??

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
South Africans are football mad as is the continent on the whole , they were always gonna put on a blinder with the exchange rate , the general vibe of the place and everything being cheap and plentiful for travelling fans , the absolute OPPOSITE to this abomination of an event , i can't remember now but i think Australia were also one of the countries that missed out on this particular bid , so you have gone from one of the most free living , liberal minded, inclusive options to one of the most restrictive , drachonian , elitist cultures on the planet with a climate that matched Death Valley and who will demolish the majority of the infrastructure once the tournament is over , in what way does that help the environment , why not convert the facilities to house refugees , displaced people and asylum seekers etc....?? There have to be 10s of thousands of Yemeni's made homeless in the last few years , or do we just accept that they will probably end up in Bognor.??

Not arguing any of that , just saying that temporary stadiums make a lot of sense compared to the huge empties left in other countries. South Africa could convert some of theirs for refugees as well I guess ? Same continent to so less to travel

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Not arguing any of that , just saying that temporary stadiums make a lot of sense compared to the huge empties left in other countries. South Africa could convert some of theirs for refugees as well I guess ? Same continent to so less to travel
South Africa is now in serious financial strife

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It was a truly dire tournament from the quality of football. But the overriding memory is the stupid and incessant vuvuzelas. That is the only WC I completely turned the TV down for. Whatever atmosphere was a the matches, was completely downed out and dissipated by that dreadful sound.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I feel a bit sorry for the players here TBH. People attacking them for not taking more of a stand, but it really shouldn’t be up to them. The highly paid suits should have taken a stand on this years ago, but presumably all fancying too much of a jolly at someone else’s expense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here