Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] QATAR dangle the freebies - where would you stand ?

Would you go to Qatar as a slag cheerleader ?

• YES. I would WHORE myself to it and have the trip of a lifetime for free. Its the WORLD CUP ffs.

Votes: 18 13.6%
  • NO. Its a disgusting regime and I will have no part of this grubby spectacle.

Votes: 109 82.6%
  • MAYBE. If it gives me the chance to get my arse out to Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani on telly

Votes: 5 3.8%

• Total voters

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I am sure some games will be empty - locals could buy tickets for a tenner and many bought loads. But still doesn’t change the fact tickets have gone somewhere and England fan take up is about par.

Russia had plenty of empty games early on so it’s not really a yardstick

Article about empty games in South Africa - https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2010/jun/13/world-cup-stadiums-empty-seats
Its worth remembering that this entire jamboree is just a vehicle for propaganda. There are plenty of reasons to mistrust the various Qatar/FIFA speil. This was a report at the end of May:

That could prove to be hopelessly outdated and wrong. Maybe the games will all be packed out. If they are - and by who - remains to be seen.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Its worth remembering that this entire jamboree is just a vehicle for propaganda. There are plenty of reasons to mistrust the various Qatar/FIFA speil. This was a report at the end of May:

That could prove to be hopelessly outdated and wrong. Maybe the games will all be packed out. If they are - and by who - remains to be seen.
I also think you are under estimating the demand from other Arab nations - they’ve had to reopen the old Doha airport to deal with shuttle flights from Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Saudi etc - https://www.arabianbusiness.com/ind...eopen-to-ease-traffic-ahead-of-fifa-world-cup

Also I believe there has been huge interest from Indians given the close proximity.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Indeed.

It has already cost more than 5x of any WC in history so its not really about money.

However this ultimately means they can probably buy enough fans to get almost every game filled.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
As someone who loves to write a travel diary, I don't know if I could have said no.
I'm not sure you will be their target audience. I have a feeling that they are after the clean living white picket fence type of fans. Your advocacy for a weed smoking sex dungeon might not be quite what the Qatari's have in mind for show casing the country to the world.

I'm still waiting for the invite to your debaucherous den of iniquity here in the UK. :) And was ever hopeful when you first suggested it

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
As someone who loves to write a travel diary, I don't know if I could have said no.
You are genuinely the last person I would have thought could be bought.

I obviously gave you far too much credit for your non football related views.

not that you’d care mind. :)

Last edited:

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
The HIGNFY take down of Gary Neville was highly amusing the other day….

Personally it’s a no from me Clive but I get why some people would absolutely be tempted and go for it. The England band though are so like ten/fifteen years ago so of course they’d f***ing jump at the chance. It’s going to be the only semblance of ‘atmosphere’ at this moodhoover of a World Cup.

The thing is the Arab’s are going to lap this up and fill the stadia - even the one that looks like a fanny - but expect most of the time they’re going to whoop and cheer at anything that happens at either end.

For me the whole thing is totally moribund all round

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Got to be honest, as it’s my nature, and I’m not particularly proud to say absolutely I’d go. I’d love to be supporting my team out there. Of course, from the little I know (bribery to even get the thing!) and the appalling laws etc I am completely against. But you have to go with what shit hand you’re dealt and it’s not my fault or Englands fault. Feel free to criticise - I prob deserve it - but as I say, I’m honest. Actually feel bad for this post for the likes of @Frutos tbh.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Got to be honest, as it’s my nature, and I’m not particularly proud to say absolutely I’d go. I’d love to be supporting my team out there. Of course, from the little I know (bribery to even get the thing!) and the appalling laws etc I am completely against. But you have to go with what shit hand you’re dealt and it’s not my fault or Englands fault. Feel free to criticise - I prob deserve it - but as I say, I’m honest. Actually feel bad for this post for the likes of @Frutos tbh.
I dont think anyone who goes/wants to go should take any personal blame or feel bad about it tbh...

You're not supporting Qatar by going, you're supporting FIFA.

For Qatar it is already done. They want to arrange the tournament without major incidents (like terrorist stuff) and thats all. They've already got what they've came for - international recognition that they are a rich, powerful and influent country. If three people come or 300 000 people come doesn't matter. They've spent £20b on this, four or five times more than Japan/South Korea (the previous most expensive tournament), if you buy some souvenir camel toy or some other shit doesn't matter to them. Nothing changes by watching or not watching or going or not going.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Gonna be honest, I‘d grab the chance to go and support the team - there wouldnt be a chance in hell I could afford a trip to Qatar for 4 weeks off my own back. You never know, if they paid me to go with those conditions imposed, I might just be foolhardy enough do a Marina Ovsyannikova and hold up a 🌈 sign whilst the guys in front of me are singing the sportswash top 20.

877B0FEF-910B-4F8A-A62C-910240D08EB6.jpeg

The decision should never been made in the first place and wouldnt have been except for the bribes and corruption (allegedly!). That decision was made 20 years ago though and nothing the players or fans do now will change that. So lets get out there, focus on the football and win the bloody thing.

"A number of England and Wales fans will be paid to travel to Qatar for the World Cup and given free tickets to the opening ceremony, but there is a catch: they will be expected to be ambassadors for the tournament. A number of England and Wales fans have signed up to the deal, which includes paid-for flights and accommodation but necessitates a minimum 14-day stay and attending “selected and scheduled” events. One will be the opening ceremony on Sunday 20 November, during which fan leaders will feature in short sections of the TV coverage. “Ideally we hope that you will stay for the entire duration of the 29 day tournament,” organisers told potential travellers. The Times has reported that 40 England fans and 40 Wales fans have agreed to take up the offer."

OK, so how's your scruples ? If you were offered free flights, free accommodation, free tickets + £60 a day spends to attend (presumably) several England games in Qatar - but you must act as a cheerleaders both at the game and online in order to help sportswash the whole event...would you take it ?

The knee-jerk is to give this thing the middle finger. Its utterly abhorrent that the Qatar authorities are literally buying off fans to promote their grubby tournament. But then again....being honest, wouldn't a BIT of you be slightly tempted ?

I'd like to think I'd turn it down flat. But I'd be lying if I said I'd decide immediately.

Be honest.
Shit country. Shit culture. Shit tournament. Its a no from me. None league for this world cup!!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Gonna be honest, I‘d grab the chance to go and support the team - there wouldnt be a chance in hell I could afford a trip to Qatar for 4 weeks off my own back. You never know, if they paid me to go with those conditions imposed, I might just be foolhardy enough do a Marina Ovsyannikova and hold up a 🌈 sign whilst the guys in front of me are singing the sportswash top 20.

View attachment 153401

The decision should never been made in the first place and wouldnt have been except for the bribes and corruption (allegedly!). That decision was made 20 years ago though and nothing the players or fans do now will change that. So lets get out there, focus on the football and win the bloody thing.
I wouldn't go holding up Marina as some Beacon of Moral Grandeur . She spouted Russian Propaganda on that channel for many years and primed the Russian Public to believe that the Ukrainian Government and people were demonic. For me to suddenly get a conscience doesn't absolve her of her crime of fuelling the rhetoric and earning millions of dollars off fuelling the hatred she now claims to object to.

I suppose better late than never but she has just as much Ukrainian Blood on her hands as anyone.

Sorry, I digress. Yes go and hold up your banner :)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Aaaand.....now the £60 daily allowance for the fan stooges has been withdrawn: https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...d-cup-by-qatar-have-daily-allowance-cancelled

“Due to the recent developments in the media, we are keen to protect our visiting fans from the erroneous misinformed statements regarding ‘fans receiving payment for the trip’. Accordingly, the daily allowance will unfortunately no longer be issued. The allowance was intended as a small uplift on your own personal funds to assist with refreshments during your stay. Praise be to Allah, and may your daughters be serviced by a thousand camels.”

No beer. No bunce. It just gets better and better :lolol:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
seems Qatar want to gain a rep for welching on agreements :unsure: funny way to go about sportswashing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside, I do like World Cup tat and have been building up a collection of drink glasses over the years. I normally buy a couple for each tournament but, beyond football stickers, there’s absolutely no WC tat in the shops this year….nothing. There’s always a stall in the supermarkets selling all sorts of crap with the German flag on it and in previous years we’ve even had Jogi Löw’s Nivea grooming kit. But nought this time. Maybe it’s a Berlin thing?

What’s it like in England?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
As an aside, I do like World Cup tat and have been building up a collection of drink glasses over the years. I normally buy a couple for each tournament but, beyond football stickers, there’s absolutely no WC tat in the shops this year….nothing. There’s always a stall in the supermarkets selling all sorts of crap with the German flag on it and in previous years we’ve even had Jogi Löw’s Nivea grooming kit. But nought this time. Maybe it’s a Berlin thing?

What’s it like in England?
In contrast, this is the first time I've seen any Canadian WC tat in shops :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here