Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] QATAR dangle the freebies - where would you stand ?

Would you go to Qatar as a slag cheerleader ?

• YES. I would WHORE myself to it and have the trip of a lifetime for free. Its the WORLD CUP ffs.

Votes: 18 13.6%
  • NO. Its a disgusting regime and I will have no part of this grubby spectacle.

Votes: 109 82.6%
  • MAYBE. If it gives me the chance to get my arse out to Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani on telly

Votes: 5 3.8%

• Total voters

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

"A number of England and Wales fans will be paid to travel to Qatar for the World Cup and given free tickets to the opening ceremony, but there is a catch: they will be expected to be ambassadors for the tournament. A number of England and Wales fans have signed up to the deal, which includes paid-for flights and accommodation but necessitates a minimum 14-day stay and attending “selected and scheduled” events. One will be the opening ceremony on Sunday 20 November, during which fan leaders will feature in short sections of the TV coverage. “Ideally we hope that you will stay for the entire duration of the 29 day tournament,” organisers told potential travellers. The Times has reported that 40 England fans and 40 Wales fans have agreed to take up the offer."

OK, so how's your scruples ? If you were offered free flights, free accommodation, free tickets + £60 a day spends to attend (presumably) several England games in Qatar - but you must act as a cheerleaders both at the game and online in order to help sportswash the whole event...would you take it ?

The knee-jerk is to give this thing the middle finger. Its utterly abhorrent that the Qatar authorities are literally buying off fans to promote their grubby tournament. But then again....being honest, wouldn't a BIT of you be slightly tempted ?

I'd like to think I'd turn it down flat. But I'd be lying if I said I'd decide immediately.

Be honest.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
This might give Barber an idea

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Dissapointed there isn't an option on the poll to accept and then go gay-for-pay while there, just for shits and giggles.

Upon reflection, that pretty much sums up option 3. That'll be me then.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I'm sure I would albeit not possible with work and family etc. I learnt to embrace my double standards years ago.

Altogether now "YOU CAN STICK THAT F***** WIND FARM UP YOUR ARSE"

"WE HATE SOLAR, WE HATE SOLAR"

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I don’t actually know anything about Qatar. Apart from the WC, what is there to do for two weeks? *

Whatever, the answer is “no”.

* edit: let alone 29 days?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Where do I sign up?

The time for boycotting the whole thing was when it was first announced, it's too late now and it's happening whether we like it or not (I don't).

£60 a day should just about buy a couple of pints.
How does that work? We couldn't boycott it when it was announced because there was nothing to boycott. Now there is something we can boycott we can't because we didn't when there was nothing to boycott? :shrug:

As to the question of the thread, I'm not interested in visiting Qatar at all (prefer colder climes) and have never really had any desire to watch a world cup in person (sometimes I struggle watching on TV), so I would be a no even before the question of morality/conscience comes into it.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Also Dutch fans - https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2022/...-be-social-media-spies-at-world-cup-in-qatar/

I think I've also seen references to Spanish and, possibly, Australian fans doing likewise.
Yep Belgian, French and Welsh fans too.

The reaction here is the same as it is in the UK. There is already controversy about the king going or not.

In other news, the second largest supermarket here, Jumbo, put out an ad for the world cup with dancing builders which as you can imagine, has gone down like a lead balloon.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
You have to consider the consequences of selling your soul. I posted previously that I had little interest in the World Cup in Russia four and a half years ago due to the nature of its venue, only to cave and find it an enjoyable tournament.

At what cost though? We can’t continue to placate regimes that don’t want to conform to the values of the global community. I found myself profoundly depressed by the events of the war in Ukraine back in February and March, and it was my wife who recognised it and urged me to cut myself off from the media, as she put it, there is no value in getting upset about things you can’t affect.

Maybe she’s right, maybe not. But no amount of sand can bury your head from the cost of your gas and leccy bill this winter. This is something we have to remember. Nazi Germany hosted the Olympic Games on 1936. Did the world learn from that?

Perhaps Qatar doesn’t threaten to cause global instability in the way the previous host has, or Nazi Germany did. But I think the lesson we have to learn is that we cannot continue to support and placate evil, for everyone’s sake.

It sounds like such an obvious statement when written without context. And yet we do it.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here