Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Pubs closing for Palace game ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The Caxton ,under new ownership, again (!) has a very odd stance on football. They have announced on social media that they are categorically "NOT a football pub" and do not show any games at all, ever. They will have door lads on and only allow admission to home fans. Then they show a pic of a corner of the pub somewhere with what looks like a hastily assembled shrine to BHA and the Amex. All very odd and all a bit JCL/cynical attempt to lure BHA fans in even though they are in their own words, not a football pub. Odd to even bother raising the subject at all.

Whats wrong that? A bit like the Prince Albert or somewhere I guess. Not a football pub, but will of course welcome a football crowd.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The Caxton ,under new ownership, again (!) has a very odd stance on football. They have announced on social media that they are categorically "NOT a football pub" and do not show any games at all, ever. They will have door lads on and only allow admission to home fans. Then they show a pic of a corner of the pub somewhere with what looks like a hastily assembled shrine to BHA and the Amex. All very odd and all a bit JCL/cynical attempt to lure BHA fans in even though they are in their own words, not a football pub. Odd to even bother raising the subject at all.

It is not a TV football pub, no SKY, it is however a nice pub for football fans to drink in. The pub is run by an Albion fan hence the BHA display, nothing cynical about it at all.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Whats wrong that? A bit like the Prince Albert or somewhere I guess. Not a football pub, but will of course welcome a football crowd.

It was the statement that it's not a football pub but the a pic of a shrine to BHA. Just struck me as odd. As far as I know the Albert does show some football, certainly used to. I've not been in there much since the smoking ban as it reeks of patchouli oil and sweaty bikers ballsacks.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It is not a TV football pub, no SKY, it is however a nice pub for football fans to drink in. The pub is run by an Albion fan hence the BHA display, nothing cynical about it at all.

I know who it's run by. My opinion on the matter is obviously in the minority. I'll leave it there aside to say good luck to BM with the pub, it has been one of my favourite boozers for many a year and have been friends with several of the owners. I look forward to seeing the new place,

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I’m off to the Caxton tonight as it happens but didn’t know it had an Albion connection.

Presumably it’s a new landlord - the lease was up for only £15k very recently. A Brighton/Sussex pub selling Kent beer though...

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’m off to the Caxton tonight as it happens but didn’t know it had an Albion connection.

Presumably it’s a new landlord - the lease was up for only £15k very recently. A Brighton/Sussex pub selling Kent beer though...

Think it only re-opened this weekend.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

The new landlord used to post here a lot, but doesn't anymore, except occasionally to advertise / promote charity stuff :thumbsup:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
It was the statement that it's not a football pub but the a pic of a shrine to BHA. Just struck me as odd. As far as I know the Albert does show some football, certainly used to. I've not been in there much since the smoking ban as it reeks of patchouli oil and sweaty bikers ballsacks.

It is not a football pub in that it does not have SKy sports up on the big screens. It is however a Brighton fans friendly pub owned by a massive STH Brighton fan and even has a pic of the Amex painted on the walls in the garden.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The new landlord used to post here a lot, but doesn't anymore, except occasionally to advertise / promote charity stuff :thumbsup:

Ah - gotcha. And that would explain why it's the chosen venue for tonight - I did think it was a bit of a leftfield choice!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Was that the purchase fee for the lease, the ingoing, or the annual rent.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Was that the purchase fee for the lease, the ingoing, or the annual rent.

Not really sure - I've only ever spent time on the drinking side of the bar, and I don't really want to go into why I knew the Caxton was available a while back (nothing sinister however!).

All I understood was that for £15k the keys were yours, or the Albion's most famous fan as it turns out!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not really sure - I've only ever spent time on the drinking side of the bar, and I don't really want to go into why I knew the Caxton was available a while back (nothing sinister however!).

All I understood was that for £15k the keys were yours, or the Albion's most famous fan as it turns out!

NSC Arms ? Ernest could do the MEAT raffle every Sunday

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here