Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Property Purchase

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Had mine replaced a couple of years ago - Valiant Combi boiler for £800 and £200 labour ( might have forgotten about the VAT :wink: ).

Madness. Living to work.. £200, Minus tax, NI, Lunch, Fuel, Van ins/tax, PLI, Gas Safe reg, screws, cement, use of powerflusher, clothes, tools.. He's come away with £120..might as well stack shelves or drive a van without any of the hassle..

For a straight swap perhaps but it’s always 5/6 hundred Labour and that’s a really cheap job. Closer to a grand I’d say.

If you're doing it properly, and LEGALLY..

The blokes an idiot for doing it that cheap unless he’s a mate.

Quite.. But none of my mates would ask me to do it cheap.

As seems to be the done thing round here I'd recommend Charlie at Pavilion Plumbing and Heating for a conventional boiler replacement although the way things are I'd be looking at a heat pump if I were doing it now.

Without a doubt, Gas increasing again in October and Jan, and there's that levy on bills applied to elec under 'enviroment charge' .. Back when elec was 'dirtier' than gas, that was added... But now elec is much better than Gas (In Uk anyway) so expect that to be swapped out over to gas sometime soon too.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
I've just had a quote to have 5 radiators replaced. 3 of these are being moved approximately 50-60 cm's. Total price £2,800

Rip off alert !
July 2017, I had a new Vaillant combi boiler with 10 year guarantee, five double radiators the largest being 2000mm x 600mm this one replaced a single rad of the same size all rads were admittedly, sited where existing rads were removed, hence saved on pipe work as used a lot of the existing system, included in the price was removal of copper cylinder and header tank and running all cold outlets to the mains supply and hot water supply rerun back to the combi, total cost which included leaving central heating tails for me to connect to the new rad and towel rail once I’d extended the bathroom into the now defunct airing cupboard. £3,300

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I am in the process of buying a very dated 2 bedroom bungalow. The survey has highlighted a number of areas that need to be addressed quickly. I would really appreciate hearing from anybody who could give me rough figures for getting the following work done. I appreciate it's difficult without seeing the property:

A complete re-wire;
A new boiler, radiators and piping;
The cavity walls to the north and south being emptied, as insulation has been wrongly installed;
A new, absorbent driveway, approximately 3m x 5m (the water currently has nowhere to drain as there is block paving and the driveway slopes towards the garage;
Artexing removed from all ceilings due to the risk of asbestos;
Two low-level boundary walls to be removed and replaced.

I know surveys pull up all sorts of things, but any rough prices or advice much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

We have some artex and I have just left it - but when we do 'get rid' of it, I expect to just skim over it with plaster, unless it's in bad condition?
Works on textured coatings are no longer notifiable as when it does contain asbestos, it is generally in tiny quantities and well bound into the material.
When I used to test for asbestos, artex would get smashed to smithereens and you still wouldn't pick anything up.

Do seek advice from a professional though.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Happy to quote but would need a site visit
Regards steve
Thanks Steve. I haven't exchanged contracts yet, but will contact you when it's all mine. Just looking at rough figures at the moment.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
We have some artex and I have just left it - but when we do 'get rid' of it, I expect to just skim over it with plaster, unless it's in bad condition?
Works on textured coatings are no longer notifiable as when it does contain asbestos, it is generally in tiny quantities and well bound into the material.
When I used to test for asbestos, artex would get smashed to smithereens and you still wouldn't pick anything up.

Do seek advice from a professional though.
Thanks for your advice.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No, just one quote. In Burgess Hill if you'd like to quote

I'm actually thinking of the heating engineers we've used on a couple of occasions this year. Great work, low-ish bills.

I'll get a ballpark price. To clarify, are you moving three rad's just a couple of feet, plus two new entirely new rad's (room sizes please) with all the plumbing required for those?

If they cover Burgess Hill and the ballpark price is significantly below £2,800, I'll pm you.

Does the £2,800 include VAT?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Rip off alert !
July 2017, I had a new Vaillant combi boiler with 10 year guarantee, five double radiators the largest being 2000mm x 600mm this one replaced a single rad of the same size all rads were admittedly, sited where existing rads were removed, hence saved on pipe work as used a lot of the existing system, included in the price was removal of copper cylinder and header tank and running all cold outlets to the mains supply and hot water supply rerun back to the combi, total cost which included leaving central heating tails for me to connect to the new rad and towel rail once I’d extended the bathroom into the now defunct airing cupboard. £3,300

Well it’s not 2017 anymore prices haven risen considerably since then.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Well it’s not 2017 anymore prices haven risen considerably since then.

Absolutely but moving five rads for £2800 that’s a complete rip off. Let’s be honest here, if you were not a plumber I’m sure you’d move them yourself as I would, admittedly I did start my working life as an apprenticed plumber so do have a little knowledge but I left that trade after the first year of paid day release tech with two evenings a week unpaid at tech. I was earning 2 shillings (10p) an hour, £4.00 a week before tax and national insurance. You may think the price quoted is value for money, I think the quoter should wear a mask and carry a swag bag ?

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I'm actually thinking of the heating engineers we've used on a couple of occasions this year. Great work, low-ish bills.

I'll get a ballpark price. To clarify, are you moving three rad's just a couple of feet, plus two new entirely new rad's (room sizes please) with all the plumbing required for those?

If they cover Burgess Hill and the ballpark price is significantly below £2,800, I'll pm you.

Does the £2,800 include VAT?

5 new radiators. 3 are moved to underneath bedroom windows. A forth is an upright vertical radiator.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Up
Absolutely but moving five rads for £2800 that’s a complete rip off. Let’s be honest here, if you were not a plumber I’m sure you’d move them yourself as I would, admittedly I did start my working life as an apprenticed plumber so do have a little knowledge but I left that trade after the first year of paid day release tech with two evenings a week unpaid at tech. I was earning 2 shillings (10p) an hour, £4.00 a week before tax and national insurance. You may think the price quoted is value for money, I think the quoter should wear a mask and carry a swag bag ?
Well we don’t know the full story, what kind of rads how expensive? Is it to be power flushed. If the rads are £250 each then it’s not that bad is it?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

We'll soon find out!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
5 new radiators. 3 are moved to underneath bedroom windows. A forth is an upright vertical radiator.
A rough estimate allowing 2 days labour and couple of hundred for pipe and fittings I'd say around £900

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here