Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Property Purchase

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I can't speak for all of it, but when we bought our house we had to have the Artex removed and it cost us £6k - that was nearly 20 years ago, so assume about £9 or £10k now (we did get the cost of the house reduced by £6k as a result of the survey)

Assuming no asbestos, it's an easier and cheaper job for a plasterer to scrape off the peaks, uni bond then apply a final skimming coat of plaster.

We had this done, at a similar price to standard plastering.

You'd never know that we once had Granny-esque Artex.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I've just had a quote to have 5 radiators replaced. 3 of these are being moved approximately 50-60 cm's. Total price £2,800

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Boiler shouldn't cost you more than a grand to have fitted. Probably the same for the radiators and piping depending on the flooring - floorboards easy - tiles / laminate hard.

Re the drive drainage. I have two spare drainage pipes with grills on top that you could put at the bottom of the slope - you can have them for free assuming you're in the Sussex area.
Thank you. I am in Hove, so may take you up on that offer.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I am in the process of buying a very dated 2 bedroom bungalow. The survey has highlighted a number of areas that need to be addressed quickly. I would really appreciate hearing from anybody who could give me rough figures for getting the following work done. I appreciate it's difficult without seeing the property:

A complete re-wire;
A new boiler, radiators and piping;
The cavity walls to the north and south being emptied, as insulation has been wrongly installed;
A new, absorbent driveway, approximately 3m x 5m (the water currently has nowhere to drain as there is block paving and the driveway slopes towards the garage;
Artexing removed from all ceilings due to the risk of asbestos;
Two low-level boundary walls to be removed and replaced.

I know surveys pull up all sorts of things, but any rough prices or advice much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

For your cavity wall issue I would highly recommend these guys !

https://cavitech-uk.com/

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I am in the process of buying a very dated 2 bedroom bungalow. The survey has highlighted a number of areas that need to be addressed quickly. I would really appreciate hearing from anybody who could give me rough figures for getting the following work done. I appreciate it's difficult without seeing the property:

A complete re-wire;

The cavity walls to the north and south being emptied, as insulation has been wrongly installed;
A new, absorbent driveway, approximately 3m x 5m (the water currently has nowhere to drain as there is block paving and the driveway slopes towards the garage;
Artexing removed from all ceilings due to the risk of asbestos;
Two low-level boundary walls to be removed and replaced.

I know surveys pull up all sorts of things, but any rough prices or advice much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ref the re-wire when we had a survey prior to moving in they recommended a re-wire. I had a sparkie friend of mine over who said the wiring was absolutely fine. That was 10 years back have not worried about it since.
For the boiler we have just had a replacement installed, we are a 10 radiator property with underfloor heating in the kitchen, cost to move the boiler location and supply and fit a new Ideal Vogue 40kw was £2200.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Does that quote seem a bit high to you then, Westander?

Yes. If [MENTION=15182]Perkino[/MENTION] replies, I think I may be able to get a far lower price for the rad's.

An obvious thing, because the building industry is so busy (I know quite a few folk in it), people are often quoting big prices. Not bothered if they're rejected, but great money if they are.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill

A complete re-wire;

Boiler shouldn't cost you more than a grand to have fitted. Probably the same for the radiators and piping depending on the flooring - floorboards easy - tiles / laminate hard.

Boiler for a grand eh.. to buy (plus vat) .. if you want a cheap one. Given the age, it's likely to have a heat only boiler with cylinder and tanks in loft. Conversion to mains combi/flush etc etc - approx £4/5k+vat and dont forget Part L of building regs.. upsized rads all round please..

I've just had a quote to have 5 radiators replaced. 3 of these are being moved approximately 50-60 cm's. Total price £2,800

Yikes, although detail/info is everything here. Are these regular convectors or columns..? Pipes from walls or floor ? Given advice on Part L (see above) they should be offering you advice to upsize if possible.
Say - 5 convectors/valves - £700, pipework etc £150 - 2 men 1.5days is around £1850ish (all plus vat)

Some good plumbers on here or speak to Brighton Plumbing Solutions on 07973618932

Does that quote seem a bit high to you then, Westander?

yes

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Thank you. I am in Hove, so may take you up on that offer.

No problem. Sussex Driveways kindly left them when they did my driveway earlier this year ! They would be a doddle to fit for any competent DIY'er. Happy to drop them off to you - just PM me with your address if you want them.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Boiler for a grand eh.. to buy (plus vat) .. if you want a cheap one. Given the age, it's likely to have a heat only boiler with cylinder and tanks in loft. Conversion to mains combi/flush etc etc - approx £4/5k+vat and dont forget Part L of building regs.. upsized rads all round please..

Had mine replaced a couple of years ago - Valiant Combi boiler for £800 and £200 labour ( might have forgotten about the VAT :wink: ).

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Had mine replaced a couple of years ago - Valiant Combi boiler for £800 and £200 labour ( might have forgotten about the VAT :wink: ).

For a straight swap perhaps but it’s always 5/6 hundred Labour and that’s a really cheap job. Closer to a grand I’d say.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
As seems to be the done thing round here I'd recommend Charlie at Pavilion Plumbing and Heating for a conventional boiler replacement although the way things are I'd be looking at a heat pump if I were doing it now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here