Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Proper Albion pubs

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
What qualifies a pub as proper Albion? During our first season or two at The Amex, the Battle was frequently "regulars only" after matches, presumably as they didn't want to be overrun by football fans so I am not sure that qualifies it as an Albion pub.

May have changed now of course - I've not been in there regularly after games since 2014ish

Same as the Railway, they even turn away Albion after big games.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I don't know about Brighton and Hove, but there's a proper Albion pub in Winchester next to the station called, obviously, . . . . the Albion. A real ale boozer owned (I think) by the Flower Pots brewery of Cheriton. Well worth a visit. Anyone else who's supped there care to comment?

P.S. Don't the "top boys" of Palace drink at the Albion in Selhurst or Thornton Heath or whichever hole it's located. The name of the pub must really stick in their craw.

There was an Albion in Norwood which we paid a visit it to before a game in the 80's. Which was nice!

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Er, I took that to mean Brighton fans only? They certainly always let me in in the stripes... But then I guess I was a regular there too.

No, it was "regulars only". Luckily we'd been going in there after basically every game during the first season so we'd become regulars but on a few occasions they turned away friends who'd been to the game based on the fact they weren't regulars

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
I don't know about Brighton and Hove, but there's a proper Albion pub in Winchester next to the station called, obviously, . . . . the Albion. A real ale boozer owned (I think) by the Flower Pots brewery of Cheriton. Well worth a visit. Anyone else who's supped there care to comment?

P.S. Don't the "top boys" of Palace drink at the Albion in Selhurst or Thornton Heath or whichever hole it's located. The name of the pub must really stick in their craw.

Yes, quite often over in Winchester for work and make a point of going there every time. Seems to change hands/manager quite regularly but the Flower Pots Brewery is one of my favourites.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Well if that fits the criteria , there is the Albion Inn in Church Road.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Before it got ponced up the Preston Park Tavern was solid Albion. They used to run a minibus up from Withdean to the pub. The Hollingbury has taken over to a greater or less extent, although it is often depressingly empty when I go in, not like the PPT in its heyday.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
I always remember being in there pre Chelsea in August 83 on the Saturday lunchtime. Doors locked, juke box off and peeking out from behind the curtains as thousands of Chelsea exited the station looking for trouble, we were between 50 and 100 in number. Outgunned.

My old Sarnt-Major used to tell us we were NOT outnumbered - we were operating in a target-rich environment !:eek:

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
The station pub behind Preston park station used to be Albion and away fan friendly. I haven't been for years so I don't know if it still is. The Long Man of Wilmington has a bit of Albion memorabilia and they do a bus service to the Amex on match days. Closer to my home the Coach house in Rottingdean has plenty of Brighton fans in.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Preston Brewery Tap used to be heaving on Withdean match days. Could leave there 20 minutes before kick-off, miss out on all the fanzone-type hoopla, and be in your seat in the South Stand about, oh, a minute after kick-off. You rarely missed much... Then you could be back in there again half an hour after the final whistle. And on Saturdays, in the early Withdean era at least, you could pick up a Sports Argus from the newsagents along the road from about 6pm. Magic!

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Last edited:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Preston Brewery Tap used to be heaving on Withdean match days. Could leave there 20 minutes before kick-off, miss out on all the fanzone-type hoopla, and be in your seat in the South Stand about, oh, a minute after kick-off. You rarely missed much... Then you could be back in there again half an hour after the final whistle. And on Saturdays, in the early Withdean era at least, you could pick up a Sports Argus from the newsagents along the road from about 6pm. Magic!

the pink one was the only paper worth reading

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here