Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Price Increases

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The have’s and the have-not’s.

With many of the have’s having moderate income, but being by choice up to their eyeballs in card and car lease/PCP debt ….. they would say “life’s too short”.
Must be this! But if you’re worried about food prices, not exactly new news, why would you ‘buy’ a bloody great SUV and an expensive one at that? You can’t eat a car, but it can eat your income.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
I love a tangerine, and the prices don't seem to have gone up ridiculously. However, more often than not when I peel them now, even a day or two after purchase, they've often already started drying out. I can't be doing with that, so I don't bother any more.

I assume this is probably because they're stuck on the HGV's for much longer these days, trying to get through our gummed-up borders.
If you bought them from a supermarket, they bought them a little while ago when they were cheapest and kept them stored to sell now. We have some super juicy nadorcotts at the moment, like satsumas, but they cost me 25p each wholesale. You cant have it all.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Heinz soup in Tesco now £1.70 a can. I can't recall what it was pre-shitfest, but that made me blanch and not bother.

The price of cereal these days absolutely blows my mind.
Lidls soup is lovely and half that price. I prefer their tomato soup, to Heinz, and I never thought I’d say that.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If you bought them from a supermarket, they bought them a little while ago when they were cheapest and kept them stored to sell now. We have some super juicy nadorcotts at the moment, like satsumas, but they cost me 25p each wholesale. You cant have it all.
Well I used to.
And i want it back.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Lidls soup is lovely and half that price. I prefer their tomato soup, to Heinz, and I never thought I’d say that.
I wouldn't rule it out, but Lidl's would be an "extra" shop. I've not broke the Tesco habit yet, I'm just more selective and choose more stuff thats on offer.

I should use Lidl more often, their fresh bakery is great (I LOVE their cheesy baps). We use it more in passing for a couple of extra bits though, as opposed to the main shop.

Also - there's nowhere at the till to pack your shopping. Whats THAT about ? ???

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I wouldn't rule it out, but Lidl's would be an "extra" shop. I've not broke the Tesco habit yet, I'm just more selective and choose more stuff thats on offer.

I should use Lidl more often, their fresh bakery is great (I LOVE their cheesy baps). We use it more in passing for a couple of extra bits though, as opposed to the main shop.

Also - there's nowhere at the till to pack your shopping. Whats THAT about ? ???
You put it back in the trolley so they can operate the till very quickly. Then you go to the packing shelf, and pack it at your own leisure.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You put it back in the trolley so they can operate the till very quickly. Then you go to the packing shelf, and pack it at your own leisure.
Ahh, the "Shelf of Shame" - for the people who can't keep up. We always bung it all in the bags for life (on the floor), with a mild sense of panic.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
At least you lot get to the supermarket!

This is what happens when you click ‘1’ on your online shop thinking you were ordering a kilo…🙄

AAFE79BF-CB2C-40E5-BAD0-E671981E3410.jpeg

What were they thinking - I know times are hard but this was part of a bulk shop of £102!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
What’s the availability like compared to pre Russian invasion of Ukraine? Just out of interest.
Asda and Tesco availabilities are very unpredictable since the invasion.

Coupled with birdflu, post-covid whatevers, and probably Brexit issues (although nobody is going to admit to Brexit being anything than the new Golden Age).

The cheapest own-brand ranges are especially hit and miss, although there always seems to be plenty of the premium brands which I won't pay for unless absolutely necessary as their prices are ridiculously high.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ahh, the "Shelf of Shame" - for the people who can't keep up. We always bung it all in the bags for life (on the floor), with a mild sense of panic.
:lolol: it does appear like that to us, but having used Lidl’s in Germany and France, other countries have no problem using the shelf for its original purpose.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Is legislation to make sure all the supermarkets sell 75% of goods produced from the UK viable?

Or has that horse well and truly bolted?
Of course we can always go back to a 1950's economy Lenny. Potatoes, carrots, swede, parsnip and turnip during the winter, a bit of Broccoli and Cauliflower sometimes, strawberries, lettuce and tomatoes in the summer. Dig out those 50's cookbooks and vote for it, if you haven't already .... oh :wink:

Last edited:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
At least you lot get to the supermarket!

This is what happens when you click ‘1’ on your online shop thinking you were ordering a kilo…🙄

View attachment 157388

What were they thinking - I know times are hard but this was part of a bulk shop of £102!
14p for ONE mushroom. That's nearly three shillings. :facepalm:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Has anyone else noticed the chronic LACK of french mustard these days ? Its my go-to condiment whenever I have steak, but I haven't seen it anywhere in months. I was in a pub a few weeks ago with a mate and his doris when I brought this up. She didn't believe me. There happened to be a Co-Op right next door, so I told her "if you go in there and come back with a jar of french mustard, then I will give you a tenner for it" (and I wasn't joking). She took up the challenge, but came back crestfallen and empty handed.

Probably something to do with grain supplies from the Ukraine. f***ing Putin.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Has anyone else noticed the chronic LACK of french mustard these days ? Its my go-to condiment whenever I have steak, but I haven't seen it anywhere in months. I was in a pub a few weeks ago with a mate and his doris when I brought this up. She didn't believe me. There happened to be a Co-Op right next door, so I told her "if you go in there and come back with a jar of french mustard, then I will give you a tenner for it" (and I wasn't joking). She took up the challenge, but came back crestfallen and empty handed.

I recommend Lidl's Dijon mustard, but don't try the Aldi version, its watery muck.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
top tip - put some bakery items in middle of the shop, cashier have to count and type in, slowing them down.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Dijon is a poor substitute IMO. Doesn't work with steak at all. In fact, I don't think I ever have dijon with anything.
Ah, do you prefer the French Mustard with the bits in ?

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France

It’s the same in France mate! None in the supermarkets. You can waste hours listening to some little French geezer in a beret and fag hanging out mouth giving his opinions on the mustard famine. There are usually 99 reasons one of which usually involves Macrons hatchet women Elizabeth Borne being responsible

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
top tip - put some bakery items in middle of the shop, cashier have to count and type in, slowing them down.
Worked that out years back, always put an item that needed weighing about every 10 items along the conveyor.. just buys you that catch up time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here