Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 6-8/5/23

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The time wasting by Arsenal unreal. Near Villa levels.

Players down holding their heads after being breathed upon.

Starting a brawl in injury time where everyone is half heartedly pushing each other clearly just to waste time. Then the ref blows up on the dot without adding any further time.

Something that needs to be stamped out of the game. I’m aware we do it as much as anyone else
Karma.

Newcastle top the stats in terms of most of the time wasting metrics this season.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The time wasting by Arsenal unreal. Near Villa levels.
... I’m aware we do it as much as anyone else

If we do it as much as Villa and Arsenal just did, why even mention it? Surely you're mentioning it because Arsenal were time wasting far more than we ever do?

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
If we do it as much as Villa and Arsenal just did, why even mention it? Surely you're mentioning it because Arsenal were time wasting far more than we ever do?
I mention it because of how irritating and obvious is was in this game.

I would like to think we’re not *as* bad, but I’m sure there are opposing fans forums who have said the same of us. We certainly aren’t innocent of it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Go on then, I'm all ears.

Sorry, but I do not understand that. Newcastle are a nearer target, Arsenal are already beyond reach so surely the more teams we can still ,even in theory, can catch the better.

Newcastle are 10 points ahead of us (and + 12 GD). Overtaking them, plus either Man U or Liverpool is not a realistic aim IMO.
The best we can realistically hope for is Europa. To get that, it would be better if City come to the Amex as Champions already, and also if we go to a defeated Arsenal next weekend.

I realise you may not agree, but that's what I think.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Newcastle are 10 points ahead of us (and + 12 GD). Overtaking them, plus either Man U or Liverpool is not a realistic aim IMO.
The best we can realistically hope for is Europa. To get that, it would be better if City come to the Amex as Champions already, and also if we go to a defeated Arsenal next weekend.

This

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I mention it because of how irritating and obvious is was in this game.

I agree, but I don't think we're ever that bad (and we're not as bad as Villa). We don't seem to be as street smart. That's not to say we've never done anything to waste time, but we're not like some sides.

I would like to think we’re not *as* bad

We're not.

Morvangull

Oct 19, 2010
Bognor Regis

OK, I see your logic, although I am not so sure about going to Arsenal after they have lost as I think they would be more determined to put matters right after a defeat.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

On that sort of sports psychology, Arsenal are now assured of 2nd place and may play accordingly on Sunday.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Sorry, but I do not understand that. Newcastle are a nearer target, Arsenal are already beyond reach so surely the more teams we can still ,even in theory, can catch the better.
Newcastle are 10 points ahead with a better goal difference, with Leeds, Leicester, Chelsea & us to play. Say they only got 4 points from those 4 games (which would be pretty crap for them) that would mean they finish the season on 69 points. For us to over take them & get 70 points we'd need to win 5 out of 6. Unfortunately i dont think thats happening. For that reason I would have preferred an Arsenal loss today so that when we play them on Sunday they know the title is gone...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
OK, I see your logic, although I am not so sure about going to Arsenal after they have lost as I think they would be more determined to put matters right after a defeat.
Arsenal seem to play better when confident - they were better today on the back of their last win, while they went 3 in a row without a win, and appeared a bit lost. I can see their heads dropping once they know the fight is over.

And remember City. If they come to ours needing to win, I can't help feel that they definitely will. They are miles better than us, and they'll be completely focused on doing what's required. Now if they were already champions, caught between celebrating and preparing for FA cup/ CL finals, maybe they'll take it a bit easier?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Recent comments on here really bring home just how far we've come.

We're discussing what position we can realistically achieve (5th), and a few are discussing what position we can not realistically achieve (4th).

What will we be discussing this time next year?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Recent comments on here really bring home just how far we've come.

We're discussing what position we can realistically achieve (5th), and a few are discussing what position we can not realistically achieve (4th).

What will we be discussing this time next year?
How our demise can be traced back to the poor decisions we had in the 22/23 season, leading us to miss out on the Europa League, and consequently losing important players.

Cheers :cheers:

Morvangull

Oct 19, 2010
Bognor Regis
How our demise can be traced back to the poor decisions we had in the 22/23 season, leading us to miss out on the Europa League, and consequently losing important players.

Or, with more positivity, if we can again manage to obtain a European spot as we did not progress beyond the quarter final round in the season

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

That's one possible future scenario. But there are several other possibles.

By poor decisions, I assume you mean refereeing/VAR decisions, and not our own decisions?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here