Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League 3/3 - 5/3

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
A Swansea defeat today would be crushing for them. All to the albion's good, I think.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Tactically yes - but I wasn't hoping for a defeat for Wet Sham for tactical reasons! As I said, I think we'll finish ahead of Swansea anyway, so not too bothered about them getting three points today - it won't happen very often!
If you're confident we'll finish above Swansea even if they win today you don't need to worry about any results, as we're safe. For the rest of us though, finishing above Swansea is far from certain, so them losing would be great.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Perhaps you are right. I have a nagging suspicion that West Brom will continue to implode as long as Pardew is at the helm.

That is by far the most likely scenario, don't get me wrong, I am not saying Pardew is any good. They should have changed manager after they lost at home to Southampton in the league at the start of February, when they could still have got a proper manager in. Now it is too late to change.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
West Brom to win today and then go on a run to stay up would be amazing for us. They would have to beat Watford, Bournemouth, Swansea, Newcastle and Palace. Plus a couple of points at the big 6. Taking points off all of our other rivals and still only then getting to 37/38, but more importantly making it really difficult for Newcastle, Palace and Swansea to make the 38 point mark.
I can see the logic in this, but they also play Leicester and Burnley at home, so wouldn't be limited to 37/38 points.

They're not playing Palace until the last game of the season, so they're probably down by then anyway, so winning today won't help that.
It's over a month until they play Swansea and nearly two until they play Newcastle, so I can't see a win today helping much with those either.
In fact, a loss and a Pardew sacking, followed by a new manager might be the best way for them to get some results against our rivals.

Basically, if West Brom catch us we are down come what may, so we want them to win as much as possible to make it more difficult for the teams that can more easily catch us.
Ok now you've gone silly.

Last edited:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The West Brom conundrum is a tricky one. They are screwed and even if the sack Mr Lover Lover then they are still screwed as no decent manager is going to touch that job with a shitty stick at this stage of proceedings. However, they still have to play teams that we need to drop points so we really could do without them completely imploding.

If they lose today then some will see that as a good thing as they will be all but down but surely we're better off with them clinging to some desperate shred of hope for as long as possible? Otherwise they're just going to be a free 3 points to every other team, which is detrimental.

The news that Dancing Al wants to stop them shipping so many goals first is good. Let's hope they go for damage limitation, play dire defensive football and grind out a load of nil nil draws. Starting today.

I still think they'll lose though.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Burnley to beat Everton. Puts them under pressure for next week, and no reason why we can't catch them

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The West Brom conundrum is a tricky one.
It is.

However, they still have to play teams that we need to drop points so we really could do without them completely imploding.

If they lose today then some will see that as a good thing as they will be all but down but surely we're better off with them clinging to some desperate shred of hope for as long as possible? Otherwise they're just going to be a free 3 points to every other team, which is detrimental.
We all agree that we want them to take points off rivals - but is that more likely to happen if they're clinging on to a shred of hope of survival, or if they're down and playing without pressure? And if they're basically down, can a new manager come in with the idea of preparing for the Championship, and get the players playing for them?

One consolation is that it doesn't matter what we want, what will be will be.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I'm almost tempted to put a bet on WBA to win at Watford.

Not a dead cert though.

Burnley 1 Everton 1 as well.

Best bets for the 6 pointers are draws (about a 30% chance)

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
:goal: for Everton 1-0. Looking a completely different team from the shambles at the Amex.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
It is.

We all agree that we want them to take points off rivals - but is that more likely to happen if they're clinging on to a shred of hope of survival, or if they're down and playing without pressure? And if they're basically down, can a new manager come in with the idea of preparing for the Championship, and get the players playing for them?

Exactly. So many different ways of looking at it.

The most important thing is that loads of people expected us to be the team cut adrift at the bottom of the league at this stage and we are very much not.

One consolation is that it doesn't matter what we want, what will be will be.

Indeed.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Feels weird having to explain this, but we only need to finish above 18th place, and Swansea are currently that team, so obviously we want them to lose.

I delayed posting along those lines for similar reasons.

The priority is staying up, any extra placings are bonuses. On any given day, if we are above 3rd from bottom, then matching or doing better than those in the bottom three is a good day.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I haven't bothered putting the TV on for today's lunchtime game - could they have picked a worse game to show? Who ****ing cares?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Exactly. So many different ways of looking at it.

The most important thing is that loads of people expected us to be the team cut adrift at the bottom of the league at this stage and we are very much not.

The most important thing for me is that having come this far, we see the job through. I have every confidence that we will.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here