Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 16-26/4/21

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Palace have 4 more points than Albion tonight. We’d have only 1 fewer if we’d got in the way of Benteke that time. We’d be thinking about this season completely differently with 5 games to go. Safe with a real chance of overtaking that lot for once. It really is fine margins.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Palace must be absolutely gutted tonight. They’ve absolutely BATTERED Leicester by their standards - four shots in a single game and they didn’t even get a point.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Palace have 4 more points than Albion tonight. We’d have only 1 fewer if we’d got in the way of Benteke that time. We’d be thinking about this season completely differently with 5 games to go. Safe with a real chance of overtaking that lot for once. It really is fine margins.

.....and if Moder's goal against SU hadn't been offside, we'd have been ahead of them.

In fact, this season there are about twenty such 'ifs'.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
But by the same token both Wolves and Fulham should have buried us right at the death in the Amex fixtures.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
But by the same token both Wolves and Fulham should have buried us right at the death in the Amex fixtures.

I'd argue that the evidence of my own eyes and the various xG stats both suggest there's been more cases where it's gone against us this season. Not, to be clear, that I have any interest in getting into an argument about the merits of xG.

Could've, should've, though. At the end of the day it's either in the back of the net or it isn't (unless you're Villa against Sheffield United last season of course - which goes to show luck definitely doesn't always even out over time) :shrug:.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'd argue that the evidence of my own eyes and the various xG stats both suggest there's been more cases where it's gone against us this season. Not, to be clear, that I have any interest in getting into an argument about the merits of xG.

Could've, should've, though. At the end of the day it's either in the back of the net or it isn't (unless you're Villa against Sheffield United last season of course - which goes to show luck definitely doesn't always even out over time) :shrug:.

But it did result in the relegation of Plucky. Which you must admit was quite funny.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I've just seen a stat that Leicester have only spent one week out of the top four since September 2019. Unfortunately for them it was the last week of last season. Nonetheless that's really impressive and shows just what is achievable if you get it right on and off the pitch.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I've just seen a stat that Leicester have only spent one week out of the top four since September 2019. Unfortunately for them it was the last week of last season. Nonetheless that's really impressive and shows just what is achievable if you get it right on and off the pitch.
Would be interesting to see their wage bill Vs ours .... Surely it can't be that different. Same with Leeds.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Would be interesting to see their wage bill Vs ours .... Surely it can't be that different. Same with Leeds.

I’m no expert obvs, (we’d need the views of a DULLARD) but I reckon Vardy, Schmeichel and Rodgers alone probably account for about 50% + of what we pay our entire starting XI plus GP.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yet Potter's reputation was built on the myth that Östersund was a small provincial club with 600 attending games and little money that he took from the fourth tier of Swedish football to the premier division. The reality is that Östersund were a good third tier club when Kindberg came along. He made it a feeder club for Swansea, loaning players from the Welsh club. and it went belly-up after a disasterous season when they got relegated. The fact that Potter got them promoted in a canter against teams that were 3, 4, 5, even 10 times smaller than Östersund was no great shakes.

Now Potter did well at Östersund - but it was on the back of a lot of money flowing into the club in an underhand/illegal way. He was lucky with some of his results there - and he deserves credit for taking them to the top tier and to Europe. But even today Östersund have a bigger turnover than several other teams in the Allsvenskan and that demonstrates that they were never really that small a provincial club with little or no money.

It should be said that there is zero evidence that Potter knew anything about what Kindberg was up to - and he appears to be a decent, genuine guy. Indeed there could be a question mark over whether he is ruthless enough to be a long term player in the dog-eat-dog world of football management.

On the flip side - anyone who takes money from a social housing programme that he is responsible for, uses it to plough into a football club, and then hikes the rent on the tenants to cover the cost - is a bit of a scumbag in my book.

They were a small provincial club with 600-700 attending (and much less in the very first games) and with small resources. Ten times bigger than the opposition in the fourth and third tier? Yes, arguably, and yes arguably its not the craziest achievement in the world to get them out of there - plenty would have, I reckon. But moving up from Superettan with what I believe was the cheapest squad in the league and then doing well in Allsvenskan and then beating a bunch of good teams in the Europa League is what made GP a name, as well as the style of football. Beating Anundalen and Älgarna in division 2 Norrland back in 2011 really made no one raise their eyebrows.

The "Swansea feeder club" thing is a bit funny. They borrowed two players from Swansea who were both shite and went home after a few months of not making the starting eleven.

As for ÖFK having a bigger turnover than some other clubs in Allsvenskan, yes this is indeed the case. Because someone made this skiing & ice hockey crazy town interested in football through playing well and interacting with the community resulting in increasing the average attendance from about 700 in 2011 to 6000 in Potters last year. 6000 is more than a lot of other clubs are able to pull in Allsvenskan, which leads to higher turnover. Turnover is also a bit misleading as some of it came through selling players and playing in Europe. If you want to point at the turnover in 2019, you have to remember they also made the greatest recorded economical loss in Allsvenskan ever (40m SEK).

The "big turnover" does not show "they were never a small provincial club with little or no money". Its like looking at Brightons current turnover and saying that it was never a small or poor club with no money.

On the subject of Kindberg I can only agree, it is indeed scumbag behaviour. As you say, Im pretty sure GP (as well as other people on the board and working in the club) never knew, though retrospectively it could be said maybe people should/could have been more questioning about where the feck his money came from.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I demand that we do as well as Leicester, we have had four years and haven’t ever looked close to winning the league. The natives are getting restless and TB had better sort it out sharpish

Leicester were 5000/1 when they won the title, I doubt our odds have ever been that long

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
What makes all the difference I think between Btn and Leicester is 3 key players . Madison who can set up goals on a regular basis and their 2 strikers . Not convinced the rest of their team is better than ours . We create a lot but don’t take our chances , they do .

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Surely it can be that different.

Leeds is probably closer, though I imagine their summer signings of Kock, Llorente, Raphina and Rodrigo probably makes more money than anyone in the Brighton squad (maybe with the exception of Lallana, as moving on a free transfer often means that some of the money the club saved on the transfer ends up in the players bank account).

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I demand that we do as well as Leicester, we have had four years and haven’t ever looked close to winning the league. The natives are getting restless and TB had better sort it out sharpish

Leicester were 5000/1 when they won the title, I doubt our odds have ever been that long

Apparently someone once asked TB if he like to win the Premier League won day and he said yes he wood. We are no where near to winning that why would he say it to us fans what want to win in now cos of what he said. Im sick of being in a premier league but losing all the time. Broken promises to us fans way make the club this season especially. Potter out and take TB wiv him cos they said we should won the premiership and no we’re near mate.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Surely it can be that different.

Leeds is probably closer, though I imagine their summer signings of Kock, Llorente, Raphina and Rodrigo probably makes more money than anyone in the Brighton squad (maybe with the exception of Lallana, as moving on a free transfer often means that some of the money the club saved on the transfer ends up in the players bank account).
40m a year in the current football climate really isn't that much.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

In the last accounts declared it was £41m a year more for Leicester

Leeds wages last year in the Champ were £78m including a £20m promotion bonus. Albions wage Bill when promoted was £40m (in 16/17) including the £9m bonus.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here