Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 16-26/4/21

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Thank you.

Built on sand and it appears potentially criminality.

Kindberg comes across as the polar opposite of Potter as a person.

Indeed.

They had a very rough aftermath from this and its near miraculous that the new board managed to save the club but it worked out well in the end and they've started this season in a good way. They've also kept the oddities up, with their new coach being very into transcendental meditation and making quite a few headlines by predicting (with some success) the events of upcoming games.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes, back when they were a bit crap :D

They still concede shitloads, even whilst "good". Not saying we will but definitely could get a result against them.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
That Östersund had more money than their competitors in the fourth and third tier was never a secret - I mean, they had a full-time employed manager which is something you very rarely have at that level in Swedish football. Everyone always knew Kindberg invested money in the club - its no more secret than Brighton having more resources than Tranmere Rovers back in the 2010/11 League One. That the money came from Kindbergs illegal dealings however did not get revealed until much later.

Yet Potter's reputation was built on the myth that Östersund was a small provincial club with 600 attending games and little money that he took from the fourth tier of Swedish football to the premier division. The reality is that Östersund were a good third tier club when Kindberg came along. He made it a feeder club for Swansea, loaning players from the Welsh club. and it went belly-up after a disasterous season when they got relegated. The fact that Potter got them promoted in a canter against teams that were 3, 4, 5, even 10 times smaller than Östersund was no great shakes.

Now Potter did well at Östersund - but it was on the back of a lot of money flowing into the club in an underhand/illegal way. He was lucky with some of his results there - and he deserves credit for taking them to the top tier and to Europe. But even today Östersund have a bigger turnover than several other teams in the Allsvenskan and that demonstrates that they were never really that small a provincial club with little or no money.

Thank you.

Built on sand and it appears potential criminality.

Kindberg comes across as the polar opposite of Potter as a person.
It should be said that there is zero evidence that Potter knew anything about what Kindberg was up to - and he appears to be a decent, genuine guy. Indeed there could be a question mark over whether he is ruthless enough to be a long term player in the dog-eat-dog world of football management.

On the flip side - anyone who takes money from a social housing programme that he is responsible for, uses it to plough into a football club, and then hikes the rent on the tenants to cover the cost - is a bit of a scumbag in my book.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Yes - the ruthless and clinical nature by which Burnley put Wolves to the sword today is a demonstration of what Potter has failed to do over the past two seasons - when the chips are down certain managers know how to get the results they need.

Potter should get another shot at it next season but unless he fixes the soft underbelly the team will continue to struggle.

Have to agree - thank God the “big 6” didn’t get kicked out, I generally feel we have a chance against them. No chance at all against the bottom 6 when we never turn up. Has to change.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Anyone else here remember a time when football commentators ...... described the football in front of them?

I thought I’d tuned into Foxes TV. The Sky bore spent 11 minutes, vaseline to hand, eulogising over every LCFC player.

Coming to an abrupt end with “Oh .... Zaha scores against Leicester, again”.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I've said it before but (offsides excepted) I'm liking the new light touch VAR. Quick look, nothing clear and obvious and go with the refs on field decision.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I think a Palace win will better serve us. As it will give Chelsea further motivation to beat Fulham and catch Leicester:shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here