Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 11-14/8/23

Jul 7, 2003
O'Neil has just said that he was told they want the on field ref to make the decision. You can possibly understand why Hoops didn't give it but that is why VAR are supposed to step in. Surely at worst, they should have asked him to come and have a look on the monitor to confirm he was happy with his decision.

I'm sure on field refs are now holding back on 50/50 calls knowing that VAR should be there to back them up but if that doesn't happen then they all look stupid.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I’ve got a feeling that we are going to get an awful lot of this ourselves this season.

By 'this', you mean the bad decision Wolves got, rather than the favourable decision Manure got?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I guess they'll excuse it along the lines of 'the ball had gone....natural momentum', or some other such bollocks.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I guess they'll excuse it along the lines of 'the ball had gone....natural momentum', or some other such bollocks.
I thought that, but the ball HADN'T gone. It went straight up in the air and was still in the box!

Absolute farce. Another apology - or crap reason behind the decision - incoming. Disgraceful either way.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
O'Neil has just said that he was told they want the on field ref to make the decision. You can possibly understand why Hoops didn't give it but that is why VAR are supposed to step in. Surely at worst, they should have asked him to come and have a look on the monitor to confirm he was happy with his decision.

I'm sure on field refs are now holding back on 50/50 calls knowing that VAR should be there to back them up but if that doesn't happen then they all look stupid.
You should get rid of VAR if it's not going to make a decision there.
The VAR official should not be asking how bad is that ref's decision. It should be asking is that decision wrong.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
I was looking at that thinking, as i said to mrs DTH, well now Wolves have got a stonewall pen. Of course completely forgetting that the game was at old trafford!
I wonder if we may see next week a few Wolves players going down easy in the box looking for some recompense for tonight although i cannot remember that happening for us after last years fiascos.
Was looking forward to my trip next week but certainly a little more nervous now.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
1692052476062.png

Yep.
This is fine. Nothing to see here.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Well if, as has been suggested, the VAR official was the same as in our match Howard Webb will surely have to act. I cannot accept, like everyone else posting, that it was not possible to see that it was an actual stonewaller right from the start let alone on a replay.
He will just get left out of one game. And will then be back
PGMOL not fit for purpose
VAR has never been fit for purpose

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Howard Webb apologises.

He’s probably got a standard letter he sends out each time

VAR is not fit for purpose. Let’s just go back to enjoying games where one referee makes a cock up - they’re only human and all that

Rather than now we have TWO refs that make a cock up each time.

So now that we will forever have these VAR farces - what is the point of
A: attending live games and spending increasing amounts of hard earned
B: playing a supposedly equal sport in the Premier League
C: the PGMOL

An anyone on here explain please

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Time to fire up the 'team with most PGMOL apologies' league table.
I think we need a thread specifically for VAR cock ups and a table of just who has benefited from them. We will not be winning that league either :smile:

We could be in with a shout of keeping our most apologies issued by PGMOL title though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here