Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Pre cruise Covid nerves

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I've been on two cruises since the re-start. One last October when we weren't allowed to mix with the "natives" in any port, despite it being a wholly UK cruise, and the other more recent 19 nights to the Med.

After the stupidity of the LFT pre-boarding (the most likely place for me to have caught covid in the whole pandemic period), it was very relaxed. There were still a few rules specific to Covid like having to be served in the self-service restaurant and wear a mask in the theatre, but cruises have always had much stricter health and safety regulations (sanitiser everywhere) so it was mostly just like the old days. The biggest issue for me was that you couldn't sit up at any bar, which we used to always do to chat with the bar staff as much as the other passengers.

Whilst others have said it's a daft choice if you're nervous of Covid still, I'd disagree (apart from the LFT fiasco). That may be because I choose to cruise on Cunard, where you don't have loads of situations where you are squeezed into the same space as many others, anyway. However, the Beatles tribute act put on a great show where everyone was up dancing and the "disco" was also popular.

I didn't hear of any Covid cases once we were on board for either trip.

One thing that we all noticed, though, on the Med trip, was how much more seriously mask wearing is taken in Spain and Italy. Almost a higher instance of compliance that we've ever had in the UK.

It did seem odd that we went ashore and mixed with the locals and then didn't have to do any further testing, but I was glad that that was the case.

I'm off on another cruise later this month and another in November. It's not something to be overly concerned about, in my opinion, though obviously it's not completely safe, any more than staying at home is.

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
I came back from a cruise around Spain and Portugal (TUI Marella cruises), on Saturday just gone. Things were almost back to normal. We had to do a pre flight lft the day before and there were the usual Covid questionnaires. There were reminders to keep sanitising hands, but the self service restaurant was self service, unlike when I went in October.
We were advised to wear masks on public transport, but there wasn’t much mask wearing by tourists or the locals.

It actually felt very safe and won’t hesitate to to go on another cruise in a few months time.

Despite all the moans about airports at the moment, I checked in my luggage at 09:50 (on the half-them Saturday ), went through security and was sitting down in the departures lounge 20 mins later. Flights both out to Palma and back into Gatwick on time. Maybe I was just lucky!

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
If you are fully vaccinated, what is the issue? Its just part of all other flu viruses now. We have to live with it , and I have had it with relatively mild symptoms recently.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Did a stay cation cruise last Sept, 12 nights a month ago and have a week in four weeks time. Last one and next one are replacements from cancellations from the last two years. Only half full at the moment which is great. Test at home the day before with a fit to fly lft works well, we still wear masks on board a fair amount but only 40% of people do. Only fully vaccinated allowed which is brilliant. All out on Southampton so no flying.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
If you are fully vaccinated, what is the issue? Its just part of all other flu viruses now. We have to live with it , and I have had it with relatively mild symptoms recently.

We took pretty much the same view till Mrs Earle went down with Covid a few weeks ago, but after we booked it and turns out it was a helluva lot worse than just a few relatively mild symptoms. She's a now a bit nervous of a second bout confined to cabin. Has a different view now she's had it. Hopefully all the ship precautions will mean we'll be fine. Not worrying about it, just triggered to see if anyone else had a recent Royal Caribbean experience to relate.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Bahamas laws/protocols currently require masks in all enclosed Public places, queues, shops, entrances to beaches etc etc

Practically they are hardly being worn anywhere. When we checked in the first thing they said was 'take your mask off, no need to wear it anywhere in the hotel'

Actually wandered around the cruise port today, hordes of maskless Yanks in all the shops

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Heading off on a Royal Caribbean cruise shortly and feeling a bit nervous on the Covid front. Loads of pre cruise protocols and recycled filtered sea air on board. Anybody had any recent RC cruise experiences to reassure nervous travellers?

Don’t worry about Covid19 the protocols are we’ll versed on Cruise ships, it’s the Monkey Pox you want to be worried about

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Heading off on a Royal Caribbean cruise shortly and feeling a bit nervous on the Covid front. Loads of pre cruise protocols and recycled filtered sea air on board. Anybody had any recent RC cruise experiences to reassure nervous travellers?

Well that went well. Lovely holiday, plenty of mask wearing by me and Mrs Earle, more than most. Back yesterday, Covid today!:facepalm:

FindonFan

Jul 15, 2014
Well that went well. Lovely holiday, plenty of mask wearing by me and Mrs Earle, more than most. Back yesterday, Covid today!:facepalm:
Rotten luck SSE, probably better to pick up Covid at home rather than during the cruise. Incidentally, did you fly to and from your cruise ship or embark from UK?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Rotten luck SSE, probably better to pick up Covid at home rather than during the cruise. Incidentally, did you fly to and from your cruise ship or embark from UK?

You're right. Nobody wants to get moved to Deck 3! Great holiday and a reminder how cheap some things are abroad. In La Coruna, we had 4 beers, 2 coffees and 2 frittatas for 11 euros. Drove to and from Southampton. My wife got pinged this morning for a Covid contact on 16th June, but I'd already tested today.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Cruises were called Floating Petri Dishes for any and every bug going, long before Covid. If anything they're probably a healthier place to be than they were before

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here