Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Pre cruise Covid nerves

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Heading off on a Royal Caribbean cruise shortly and feeling a bit nervous on the Covid front. Loads of pre cruise protocols and recycled filtered sea air on board. Anybody had any recent RC cruise experiences to reassure nervous travellers?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Heading off on a Royal Caribbean cruise shortly and feeling a bit nervous on the Covid front. Loads of pre cruise protocols and recycled filtered sea air on board. Anybody had any recent RC cruise experiences to reassure nervous travellers?

We're going with John Inverdale in a few weeks, may be worth looking at cruise critic and some of their forums for specifics but from what I understand there are still plenty of covid protocols to keep you safe and social distancing and wearing of face masks indoors are still the norm rather than the exception.

1901Phil

Feb 1, 2012
Tunbridge Wells
I cruised on Regent 20 Apl to 2 May and was very impressed with the safety protocols on board. Passengers were asked to wear masks except when in their cabins, seated in bars or restaurants or on an open deck. Hand sanitisers were in position all over the ship and guests needed to have a supervised rapid flow test before boarding

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
We're going with John Inverdale in a few weeks, may be worth looking at cruise critic and some of their forums for specifics but from what I understand there are still plenty of covid protocols to keep you safe and social distancing and wearing of face masks indoors are still the norm rather than the exception.

He'll like the scrum for the bar

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

I wasn’t aware he had his own cruise liner

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I cruised on Regent 20 Apl to 2 May and was very impressed with the safety protocols on board. Passengers were asked to wear masks except when in their cabins, seated in bars or restaurants or on an open deck. Hand sanitisers were in position all over the ship and guests needed to have a supervised rapid flow test before boarding

Then you go onshore and mix with all and sundry. My old man just got back from one, after 2 weeks there are Covid all through the boat. Both him and his partner came back positive. Mild symptoms though...

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

It was at a "quieter time" during the pandemic iirc (last September) but we did a Disney Cruise for my birthday. Had to have a pre-boarding covid test with a short wait afterwards for the results (sent by text message), and had to wear masks while wandering around the ship, but apart from that it was fine. No feelings of worry, and a thoroughly enjoyable & relaxing few days away from the desk.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
not sure why you would go on a cruise if you are in any way bothered about covid......most current travel insurance policies have covid caveats for cruise ships and countries nominated as red zones by then WHO.....ie if you get covid , don't bother getting in touch.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Spoken to lots of people on cruises and they absolutely loved it, they missed it massively.

Depending on where you are boarding you have to test to get anywhere near the ship, they take protocols seriously.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Ooooooh there’s posh!

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

Sounds like a nightmare if I’m honest.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Have done two cruises in the last six months - December, a week long northern Europe one (Brugge, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Le Havre), and a two-week one in April (flew to Malta, then Croatia, Italy, Greece and Turkey). Both with P&O, and both excellent. Had to have a lateral flow before boarding; December's cruise there was a requirement to wear a mask walking around the ship/in the theatre, but other than that, everything was normal, and we had a superb time.

To our knowledge, neither cruise saw any Covid outbreaks at all.

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
I just heard about a friends parent, in her 70s, who went on a saga holiday to Spain, contracted covid in the hotel and felt so bad she decoded to fly straight home. Presumably infecting half the plane......

mjking73

Apr 17, 2013
Littlehampton
Done a cruise in November, Covid protocols were heavier in place at the time compared to now, and even that was fine. Should be a lot easier now but masks may still be mandatory in some areas.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Strange choice of holiday if you are concerened about covid. Spend most of the time worrying rather than enjoying it.
With total respect to original poster I was thinking the exact same. Whilst still living with covid a cruise would be the worst possible type of holiday to have particularly if anyone is classed as vulnerable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here