Poyet to Sunderland

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
We wanted rid, Gus wanted out, how was it so messy?

He wanted paying off, if not all then part of his contract ... perhaps?

Wasn't going to get it so threw a paddy .......... make up the next bit ......... we all know the ending

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Re: Fair Play, Gus.

Both sides just played the game of egos.

"I want to go."
"Tough, you're not going"

Then a couple of months later.

"We want you out."
"Well, I don't know if I want to go now."

Truth is, both sides wanted the same thing, such a terrible shame they couldn't have just agreed to part company. This could so easily have been a mutual agreement, rather than the slurs, inuendos and collateral damage such as long-serving Charlie. Thank goodness he has a job out of this all, because he was the one I felt sorry for more than anyone. Whatever the details of the fall-out between Bloom and Oatway, I just couldn't see what Oatway or Tanno had been suspended for. Just looked like a move to pressure Gus into doing what we wanted him to do, which was to just walk.

All was handled so shabbily IMHO. I know we like to look at things at defend the club, or certainly Bloom because we love him, and always will, but this should have been handled so much better. We wanted rid, Gus wanted out, how was it so messy?

Yes. It probably is that simple.

Gus now has what he has badly wanted for a long time. I hope it works for him.

The albion has still not recovered. When we reach another Championship playoff semi final, as a minimum, we will have.

If Gus can set other matters straight by relegating Palace then all the better.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
It is likely if anything happens it'll be through arbitration and none of the details will come out anyway.

I'm no expert, but surely that would depend on how strong each side thinks their case is. If either side thought they had a cast-iron, or at least very good case, I doubt they'd accept arbitration. If it could go either way, then yes, you would think both would accept that.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
quite odd, two different messages. the second part, about Oscar is good, he's moved on. but the bit "Apparently they can’t leave me alone because they keep coming back to me." doesnt make any sense, thats got to be to stir up the questions in the fans. I dont see why they (assuming BHAFC) would want to follow up anything with Poyet. Or is it the LMA, are they trying to make something out of it? never ending bloody story.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
quite odd, two different messages. the second part, about Oscar is good, he's moved on. but the bit "Apparently they can’t leave me alone because they keep coming back to me." doesnt make any sense, thats got to be to stir up the questions in the fans. I dont see why they (assuming BHAFC) would want to follow up anything with Poyet. Or is it the LMA, are they trying to make something out of it? never ending bloody story.

He knows he's going to be quoted and knows it will cause some "unrest". Assuming there's no ongoing dialogue between him and the club I'd imagine TB/PB will be trying to figure this out too ... which may be the only reason he chose to speak in riddles?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

I can't figure out who "they" is either.

It shirley can't be BHA - we're done. We've got him out with no compo, what more could we want?

I suppose it could just be the LMA - "c'mon Gus, we fancy a fight; why don't you let us support you in taking them to Court?". Unlikely, but possible.

His solicitors? "C'mon Gus, we fancy a fight (i.e. we want more fees), etc....". Pretty unlikely too, I'd have thought.

The Press? "C'mon Gus, tell us the truth. We know it might screw you over, but we have newspapers to sell". More likely, imo.

Nobody? Gus is just making "they" up, to allow himself to be able to continue to talk about it in ambiguous terms to try to persuade all and sundry that he was the wronged party, all while not actually doing anything. FWIW, this seems the most plausible explanation to me

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
No, more likely some sounding out from a club not too far away from Chelsea, but they decided to stick with their Jolly manager.
Serious question (as you're a mod) - are we allowed to speculate now? I see the 'Fulham' story is circulating again.

D

Deleted member 22389

Of course he wants to forget about it now, but he didn't want to a few weeks ago did he???. I do believe it was Poyet lodging an appeal and the only reason the last few months was painful, was because he didn't want to be here and he couldn't get his own way. He is such an ********.

Your right. For me he basically gave himself the sack in the interview after the Palace match. I know we need to stop talking about Poyet, but his comments do my head in.
If things start going wrong at Sunderland there will be hundreds of people on their own forum trying to dicipher what he said. f**g mind games.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Serious question (as you're a mod) - are we allowed to speculate now? I see the 'Fulham' story is circulating again.

As far as I am concerned, the club have conducted their own internal investigation and sacked Gus for gross misconduct. People can post what they want unless it is breaks the libel laws. The reason why we were reluctant to allow speculation on NSC over the summer was that there were legal implications if comments were made, and therefore it was better to be safe than sorry.

Speculation that one player or manager is subject to interest from another club is fair game, after all we were all happy to discuss Reading's interest in Gus at the time.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I hope we draw Sunderland in the 3rd round of the F.A. Cup :albion2:, at home!

Yeah right like we need that, never tempt fate... knowing his jammy luck they would win...... can you just picture that smug face walking towards the Sunderland fans after the game holding aloft his red & white scarf grinning like a cheshire cat before he turns to the directors box saying "This ones for you Bloom"

I can do without that thanks

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
And the massive question that no one knows the answer to is WHY? Why walk away from a job that you absolutely love and is tailor made for you, when you had constantly talked about the long term and a lot of even your tactics on the field suggest long term planning rather than short term gain. He very clearly wanted to stay here long term and build something special. Then suddenly a massive inexplicable U turn, shortly after Barber joined the club.

SOMETHING happened. Clearly.

Something did happen.
For whatever reason ( financial/dis-satisfaction ? ) he entered into talks with another club, in March. They offered him the job. He tried to use this to get a better deal out of BHA. TB wouldn't play ball. Gus threw his toys out the pram and offered his resignation.
The last two months were clearly spent in an atmosphere of bitterness and non co-operation, coming to a head around the time of the play-offs.
Maybe GP decided he couldn't work with Barber and wanted to engineer an exit. He certainly ' ramped up ' his interest in other jobs in the last two months of his tenure. He was hardly ever out of the media spotlight.
Any long term plans had disappeared by March. GP wanted away. Perhaps it might have been better to release him in March and unleash a new man for the play-offs but TB clearly decided to see the season out.
The rest is history.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Thing is, Gus has always lived by the principle that if one of his players wanted to play at a higher level, he would NEVER stand in their way. Perhaps he felt the club should've taken the same attitude towards him.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Of course he wants to forget about it now, but he didn't want to a few weeks ago did he???. I do believe it was Poyet lodging an appeal and the only reason the last few months was painful, was because he didn't want to be here and he couldn't get his own way. He is such an ********.
Ooo, I love a game of hangman. Is there an A? Cool, how about an H? Excellent. An L? Oo, I think I've got it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports