Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet to Sunderland

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Last few months at Albion so painfulPoyet was evasive when repeatedly quizzed about the issue at his unveiling yesterday.

The Uruguayan said: “Brighton was painful in the last few months.
“It’s not about clarification because it is not in my hands. My idea is to forget about it. I need to forget about it and I have been pleading with everyone to forget about it. Apparently they can’t leave me alone because they keep coming back to me.”

/[/url]

Yeah well that's what happens when you've spent 4 years commenting on everything you are questioned about, even if it has nothing to do with you. Not sure I've heard him "pleading with everyone to forget about it" but coming over all coy is not something I've seen before. I suggest Sunderland have let him know in no uncertain terms that it's a condition of his contract that he stops talking about what happened at Brighton in the press? He must be pretty well gagged anyway if he has any intention of pursuing for wrongful dismissal.

Last edited:

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Fair Play, Gus.

Fair play my arse, last few months so painful after he wanted to walk away and was not allowed to do so.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I've generally kept out of the Poyet threads because they get polarised so quickly, but I don't really agree with your reading of those quotes. Particularly "It's not about clarification because it is not in my hands.". That reads to me like it's in the hands of his lawyers. He might not want to talk about it, but for as long as he's claiming against a professional football club for unfair dismissal the media are definitely going to want to talk about it!

I agree. Either way he's only been at Sunderland five minutes and already he's saying things that can be mis-interpreted! :lolol:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Could mean anything - who is pursuing him? His lawyers, the League Manager's Association, BHA, someone else? His lawyer's are under instruction from him, so if he wants to move on he can tell them to drop it. Same with the LMA I would have thought. I would also think that Sunderland would want him to drop it as it will distract him from his job there. Oh well, at least he told people to leave Oscar out of it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He says he wants people to forget it but until people know for certain he isn't pursuing action they won't. Instead of playing games with valid questions, why doesn't he just say, the case is in the hands of his solicitors to pursue or that he has dropped the claim.

last few months at albion so painful

2672073.jpg

gus poyet at sunderland's press conference yesterday

sunderland’s new head coach brushed aside talk of pursuing the seagulls through the courts following his sacking as manager in june for gross misconduct.

Poyet was evasive when repeatedly quizzed about the issue at his unveiling yesterday.

The uruguayan said: “brighton was painful in the last few months. It is difficult to explain. This is good because it is time to move forward. It’s good for me to start to talk about sunderland now, it’s gone.

“it’s not about clarification because it is not in my hands. My idea is to forget about it. I need to forget about it and i have been pleading with everyone to forget about it. Apparently they can’t leave me alone because they keep coming back to me.”

poyet says comparisons with his albion successor oscar garcia are unfair on the spaniard.

“i would like nobody to compare oscar to me, leave oscar alone,” he said.

“he needs the support of the whole club, let him do it. The same for me.

“i don’t know what will happen in the future, i can’t tell you that, it’s unpredictable. I didn’t expect to get the sack and i can’t tell you what will happen tomorrow. Football is incredible.”

poyet has signed a two-year contract at the stadium of light. He has also taken mauricio taricco and charlie oatway, his assistant and first team coach at the amex, with him as part of the backroom team as well as former albion goalkeeping coach andy beasley.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/10725486.last_few_months_at_albion_so_painful/

looks like he will be on the move again???

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Of course he wants to forget about it now, but he didn't want to a few weeks ago did he???. I do believe it was Poyet lodging an appeal and the only reason the last few months was painful, was because he didn't want to be here and he couldn't get his own way. He is such an ********.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
If that's the case, they are grown men people come and go at work all the time in your adult life. They need to man up or ship out.

Ah, the classic use of the everyday work scenario in comparison to a football club.

If I was at a football club and used to really enjoy working under my old manager...and really disliked working under my new manager and disliked the feeling around the place, then I would probably jump at the chance to go work with my old manager, in the same role im currently in, on the same or better wages.

Does that mean I'd have to man up? I personally think that's a completely normal reaction.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The question is if Poyet drops the action will that free up budget for players? We've spent bugger all and probably need an impact signing in the next window to kick on.

We haven't spent a lot in TRANSFER fees, but the likes of Ward and Andrews are not playing for free.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Fair play my arse.

So what he is doing here is saying that he is not going to take us to court to clear his name (wonder why that is Gus?) and that we all need to stop thinking about him and move on. Really?

The man has an ego the size of Neil Shipperly.

Good manager though.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Was he ever taking us to court, I know he threatened it but were any papers ever served? I'm assuming we would know about if they had.

He has six years to bring a case. Also, it takes quite sometime to build a case and present it ( being this will be a court case and not an ET case ). Given it's only been around 3-4 months since he was sacked it is unlikely he would have raised a case by now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here