Poyet to Sunderland

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I hope he's got a big winter warming coat...cos he'll need it! Those northern sorts dont take to losing very well n from his first interview i would have to say he aint convinced me!!! But, lets wish him well n wrap up warm!!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would imagine that sunderland would ask him to drop the case now he is employed - I cant imagine they will want a new manager with this on his mind/hanging over him. If it went to ET there is bound to be some negative publicity for Poyet and sunderland would not want that IMO. Hopefully this puts a line in the sand to a very sad and disappointing end to Poyet's association with BHAFC.

I cant imagine that Sunderland would want their manager distracted by a court case.. he has a 'huge job' job on his hands from today. My feeling is that its going to get forgotten about with some kind of club PR spin to say that its settled. I suspect the possibility of litigation forced the club to put buying/loan player funds aside and we will now see 'a big movement' from the club..

That's pretty much how I see it.

D

Deleted member 2719

I have never disliked Sunderland until now. I have zero respect for Gus anymore hope he falls flat on his face.

With any luck Bloom won't let him get anywhere near our players.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
graeme anderson ‏@sunechograeme 6m
Poyet: "Brighton is in the past for me. We need to move forward and for me it is all about Sunderland now." #safc
Retweeted by Andy Naylor

Andy Naylor ‏@AndyNaylorArgus 3m
Richard Bevan of the LMA: "I know Brighton and Gus have moved on." Suggests GP has or will drop his threat of legal action against #bhafc.

I am very encouraged by this.

I hope that's the end of the sorry saga now.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Gus quote today "Every time a new manager arrives, he wants to stay as long as possible and prove he was the right choice".

Err no! The moment he has a bit of success he wants to tout himself for other jobs with a suggestion that he should be destined for bigger things, and when the going gets tough he has the toys out of the pram with a suggestion that he is not being fully backed by the chairman.

Sorry but whilst respect for what he did for us the manner of his departure leaves a bad taste and on that basis I pray they get relegated so we can witness his epic flouncing!

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
I hope we draw Sunderland in the 3rd round of the F.A. Cup :albion2:, at home!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The question is if Poyet drops the action will that free up budget for players? We've spent bugger all and probably need an impact signing in the next window to kick on.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
In January how many of 'his' players may fancy the Premiership wages scale and jump ship I wonder.
May not be a bad thing in the long term, as Oscar will then have the funds required to get his style of players in.

D

Deleted member 22389

In January how many of 'his' players may fancy the Premiership wages scale and jump ship I wonder.
May not be a bad thing in the long term, as Oscar will then have the funds required to get his style of players in.

May be your right. May be some of our players can't get over Gus going.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I doubt getting another job is going to deter him from his principles, and if he feels he's been wronged, then he'll continue with it.

Another manager recently took an ex employer to court while in a new job. Helpfully, I can't recall who it was.

Jennings Berg, who trousered £2 million from Blackburn

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Fair Play, Gus.

Last few months at Albion so painful

2672073.jpg

Gus Poyet at Sunderland's press conference yesterday

Sunderland’s new head coach brushed aside talk of pursuing the Seagulls through the courts following his sacking as manager in June for gross misconduct.

Poyet was evasive when repeatedly quizzed about the issue at his unveiling yesterday.

The Uruguayan said: “Brighton was painful in the last few months. It is difficult to explain. This is good because it is time to move forward. It’s good for me to start to talk about Sunderland now, it’s gone.

“It’s not about clarification because it is not in my hands. My idea is to forget about it. I need to forget about it and I have been pleading with everyone to forget about it. Apparently they can’t leave me alone because they keep coming back to me.”

Poyet says comparisons with his Albion successor Oscar Garcia are unfair on the Spaniard.

“I would like nobody to compare Oscar to me, leave Oscar alone,” he said.

“He needs the support of the whole club, let him do it. The same for me.

“I don’t know what will happen in the future, I can’t tell you that, it’s unpredictable. I didn’t expect to get the sack and I can’t tell you what will happen tomorrow. Football is incredible.”

Poyet has signed a two-year contract at the Stadium of Light. He has also taken Mauricio Taricco and Charlie Oatway, his assistant and first team coach at The Amex, with him as part of the backroom team as well as former Albion goalkeeping coach Andy Beasley.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/10725486.Last_few_months_at_Albion_so_painful/

I've generally kept out of the Poyet threads because they get polarised so quickly, but I don't really agree with your reading of those quotes. Particularly "It's not about clarification because it is not in my hands.". That reads to me like it's in the hands of his lawyers. He might not want to talk about it, but for as long as he's claiming against a professional football club for unfair dismissal the media are definitely going to want to talk about it!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I'm not sure what it says. He doesn't say "it's over" indeed he implies that he may still well be pursuing, just that he is not going to respond to any media questions re Brighton. Might have hoped for all those that supported him through his time here he would have been more explicit.

Sure the club will make a statement one way or other pretty soon

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Even if Gus did go ahead with this the lost of earnings will be minimal now. I think It was always about the money so can not see it going any further now.

I assumed he would be pursuing a breach of contract case rather than unfair dismissal in which case the fact he has another job is academic.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I assumed he would be pursuing a breach of contract case rather than unfair dismissal in which case the fact he has another job is academic.

Exactly. This isn't about loss of earnings but probably the fact that there should have been a sizeable payoff. When you terminate a contract you would normally be expected to pay the remaining value of the contract unless there are valid grounds for the termination. The club obviously think there were.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports