Poyet to Sunderland

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Where does it say ANYWHERE that he is going to take us too court? Pretty sure he'd already have done it by now if he was going to, why would he when he's gone and got a premiership job a few months after? If he really knew he would win in court he'd have done it already knowing what Gus is like as a man. (Egotistical and self centred)

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
Where does it say ANYWHERE that he is going to take us too court? Pretty sure he'd already have done it by now if he was going to, why would he when he's gone and got a premiership job a few months after? If he really knew he would win in court he'd have done it already knowing what Gus is like as a man. (Egotistical and self centred)

Exactly. He said he wanted to so that the truth would come out, but he had no intention to because he wouldn't want the truth to come out. Clever man.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I would imagine that sunderland would ask him to drop the case now he is employed - I cant imagine they will want a new manager with this on his mind/hanging over him. If it went to ET there is bound to be some negative publicity for Poyet and sunderland would not want that IMO. Hopefully this puts a line in the sand to a very sad and disappointing end to Poyet's association with BHAFC.

Goldstone76

Jun 13, 2013
I cant imagine that Sunderland would want their manager distracted by a court case.. he has a 'huge job' job on his hands from today. My feeling is that its going to get forgotten about with some kind of club PR spin to say that its settled. I suspect the possibility of litigation forced the club to put buying/loan player funds aside and we will now see 'a big movement' from the club..

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Has Gus used it as a trade off ? TB has given him a reference and the court case is soon forgotten about ?

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I cant imagine that Sunderland would want their manager distracted by a court case.. he has a 'huge job' job on his hands from today. My feeling is that its going to get forgotten about with some kind of club PR spin to say that its settled. I suspect the possibility of litigation forced the club to put buying/loan player funds aside and we will now see 'a big movement' from the club..

This is what I think as well, the Jan transfer window could be interesting for ins and outs!

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Has Gus used it as a trade off ? TB has given him a reference and the court case is soon forgotten about ?

Well not necessarily. TB could have just given a reference anyway which could just have been "Mr Poyet was Manager at B&HAFC from x date to y date." You don't have to say any more than that; but it would admittedly not be much help to Sunderland! Happened to me with someone I was thinking of recruiting who was in dispute with a previous employer. But I took a punt and she worked for us - excellently - for 9 years without any problems. Mind you, her previous employer was a certain local authority in E Sussex!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It wouldn't be the first time Gus said one thing, and then did the opposite. Plenty of occasions when he said players were fit and ready to go, only to get nowhere near the matchday squad.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2384322/Gus-Poyet-Brighton-court-sacking.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23568921

However, it would appear that he hasn't taken any action as yet. My understanding of Employment Tribunals is that you have 3 months from the time of suffering a detriment (ie the time he was formally sacked) which, by my calculation would have been the 23rd Sept. However, as with most of these limitations no doubt there are exceptions to the rules.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
This matter will not go to open court, nor is it likely to go to an employment tribunal.

If this is pursued any further by Gus, it will be by independent arbitration, which means that "the facts" will never become public knowledge.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I suspected that Gus was bluffing and it was more about his reluctance to accept responsibility for his actions and preserving his wider reputation across football. The Albion dealing with the matter formally would have made it so much more difficult for Gus than if they had just sacked him because he went through a formal investigation, disciplinary hearing and appeal and still got dismissed for misconduct.

It would be helpful if the bad blood ends here and for both parties focus on other priorities, however it isn't quite a perfect outcome. I don't think The Albion were ever too concerned about doing their dirty washing in public having dealt with matter confidentially they were never going to spill the beans unless they had to at a court hearing. So would never really get a chance to give their side of things. From Gus's point of view he hasn't cleared his name and so there will remain a question across football about his baggage and this will get reinforced big time if he ever does something similar at Sunderland.

No doubt Gus will write a biog someday and tell the world his side of things. But on balance I think I'll be more interested If Tony Bloom ever writes his memoirs as it could be a right rollickingly good read though, not just for the Gus saga but also for all the other stuff around the Club (who knows what riches lay ahead of us), stadium but also his poker activities etc.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
This matter will not go to open court, nor is it likely to go to an employment tribunal.

If this is pursued any further by Gus, it will be by independent arbitration, which means that "the facts" will never become public knowledge.

No, they did the arbitration bit.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I was under the (possibly) mistaken impression that the court case had been set for January
I'm sure it will now be dropped.
Hopefully Messrs Bloom, Bridcutt and Ulloa will keep their phones off in January (but I doubt it)
Just watch us get drawn against Sunderland in the FA Cup now !

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Exactly. He said he wanted to so that the truth would come out, but he had no intention to because he wouldn't want the truth to come out. Clever man.

It's impossible to come to that conclusion unless you know the facts. Your statement is mere conjecture.

Anyway, one man's ooh isn't he clever is another's meh.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
No, they did the arbitration bit.

No they didn't. Gus appealed under the clubs own procedures which meant his case was heard by other directors but with the same conclusion. He was sacked. It has, as far as anyone is aware, not progressed beyond that.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Even if Gus did go ahead with this the lost of earnings will be minimal now. I think It was always about the money so can not see it going any further now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports