Poyet to Sunderland

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Benno must have happy memories of the League 1 winning season under Gus and could be argued that Gus turned Benno into a Prem player, so he has good reason to think highly of him.

I see he has just signed a new contract at Norwich but it never does any harm to keep on the good side of a former manager just in case.....

You cynic! Fair play though, I'm sure he'd grab a move to Wearside.

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
I think Gus's seeing us in court was more about protecting his reputation than a genuine threat. It's in all parties' interests to let this one lie now.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I don't know if an ET will still go ahead....I would like it to happen if only to know what happened to bring to an end Gus' employment.

Surely Gus will still want to protect his reputation which has taken quite a knock....although Sunderland have employed him. Wouldn't imagine they've sought a reference from Tony Bloom...which would probably be fairly neutral in any case.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Gus won't want a reputation as a litigator, nor may it be really in his interest for a public hearing of all the sorry details.

If he takes a step back he'll drop it, and now he can spin it that he did this to fully commit his attention to SFC.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
What happens with the court case is nothing we can control, and it will take it's natural course.

If the club have acted badly, then he should take us to court, and if he does so, he may well win.
If the club have not acted badly, then he should not take us to court, but if he does so, he would probably lose.

Either way, the right outcome would appear to be reached. Personally, I'd rather he did take us to court, so that we know what happened. Otherwise everyone will always wonder and have their various theories and prejudices.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Gus won't want a reputation as a litigator, nor may it be really in his interest for a public hearing of all the sorry details.

Plenty of managerial sackings roll on for ages and ages before everyone is satisfied. It doesn't leave the manager with a sullied reputation necessarily. I know the lawyer who represents Gareth Southgate and the case against Middlesbrough ran for years. Has that had any impact on Southgates reputation?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I doubt getting another job is going to deter him from his principles, and if he feels he's been wronged, then he'll continue with it.

Another manager recently took an ex employer to court while in a new job. Helpfully, I can't recall who it was.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I doubt getting another job is going to deter him from his principles, and if he feels he's been wronged, then he'll continue with it.

Another manager recently took an ex employer to court while in a new job. Helpfully, I can't recall who it was.

Sam Allardyce?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Plenty of managerial sackings roll on for ages and ages before everyone is satisfied. It doesn't leave the manager with a sullied reputation necessarily. I know the lawyer who represents Gareth Southgate and the case against Middlesbrough ran for years. Has that had any impact on Southgates reputation?

No, but then Southgate wasn't sacked for 'gross misconduct' was he?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Er, yes. Crystal Palace apart, I can't see any other Prem / Big Championship club taking a punt on him after he messes up with England U-21s. Significantly, Boro have never been the same since.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Jim Magilton, who won against Ipswich, represented by the LMA, was at QPR.
Russel Slade, also cleared his name whilst manager of Brighton but I'm not sure if it went to court.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
No, but then Southgate wasn't sacked for 'gross misconduct' was he?

May as well have been, as they didn't want to pay up what he was due in his contract.

If Gus feels he didn't do anything that can be classed a Gross Misconduct then he would want to clear his name. And why wouldn't he?

I really don't think that Football Clubs are that bothered by legal matters in managers past. After all Terry Venables was still given the purse strings at clubs after being disqualified from being a Company Director!

matt

Mar 19, 2007
Not sure what he could make a case for, should he wish to. Seeing as he seems to have got the first job he went for (I assume), his reputation does not seem to have been damaged to any significant level by the summer's cluster****.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
So it seems the genercal consensus is that this is still going to drag on...and on.... will this have a detrimental effect on the Budget for Oscar (if it hasn't already)?
I guess until the case goes ahead (if ever) the Club need to keep some money back just in case it needs to be pay up.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Now he's got the Sunderland job what the hell does it matter any more? If past misdemeanours didn't make any difference to Ellis Short it won't make any difference to anyone else either.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
graeme anderson ‏@sunechograeme 6m
Poyet: "Brighton is in the past for me. We need to move forward and for me it is all about Sunderland now." #safc
Retweeted by Andy Naylor

Andy Naylor ‏@AndyNaylorArgus 3m
Richard Bevan of the LMA: "I know Brighton and Gus have moved on." Suggests GP has or will drop his threat of legal action against #bhafc.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Andy Naylor ‏@AndyNaylorArgus 1m
Richard Bevan of the LMA: "I know Brighton and Gus have moved on." Suggests GP has or will drop his threat of legal action against #bhafc.

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
As I have said before, I thought Gus was bluffing. By saying he wanted to go to court so that the truth comes out, suggests he was right and the club was in the wrong. Because why would you want the truth to come out to make you look bad.

But Gus was never going to take the club to court, because there is no way he would want the whole footballing world to know what happened.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports