Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet to Sunderland

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Gus Poyet will continue for years to divide opinion among Albion fans.

I am grateful to Poyet for putting the club back where it should be, but he was aided by a chairman who gave him his chance in management, who backed him financially, who provided him with the infrastructure, and who did not interfere with his management of the team.

However, I am finding it difficult to forgive him for his self-centred comments and behaviour, which gathered pace during his time at the Albion and culminated in his virtually gifting Palace victory in the second-leg of the play-off semi-final last season.

Poyet’s antics left the club wholly unprepared for the new season and left a legacy that continues to handicap the team.

The question that we must ask is: to whom do we give the benefit of the doubt, Tony Bloom or Gus Poyet?

For me, the answer is simple.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
To be honest, I think he as good as had the Sunderland job but talked himself out of it. I think he probably wishes he kept his gob shut in the last 3 weeks.

It's verging on embarrassing ruling people out of jobs in the media, discussing meetings publicly and talking as if the job is his. That is enough to put any employer off even if they were keen to start with.

It didn't, did it?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Elliott Bennett ‏@Ebenno88 58m
Buzzing to see my old gaffer back in management and in @premierleague brilliant manager and I'm sure will do great for Sunderland

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Benno must have happy memories of the League 1 winning season under Gus and could be argued that Gus turned Benno into a Prem player, so he has good reason to think highly of him.

I see he has just signed a new contract at Norwich but it never does any harm to keep on the good side of a former manager just in case.....

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Benno must have happy memories of the League 1 winning season under Gus and could be argued that Gus turned Benno into a Prem player, so he has good reason to think highly of him.

I see he has just signed a new contract at Norwich but it never does any harm to keep on the good side of a former manager just in case.....

Benno also keeps in touch with former players. He is going to be best man to Murray next year.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Good luck to Gus et al, just so long as they keep their eyes away from certain people here.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Good luck to Gus et al, just so long as they keep their eyes away from certain people here.

I think you are likely to be disappointed on that front. I'm sure Gus would love to prize away a couple of what he may consider his players.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Poyet no longer taking us to Court?

That's what I'd like to hear, I would hope that it would have been one of the requirements for being offered the role, to drop the pending court case to concentrate fully on keeping Sunderland up (which he will).

Let's hope we hear something tangible about this in the next few days...

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Was he ever taking us to court, I know he threatened it but were any papers ever served? I'm assuming we would know about if they had.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Poyet no longer taking us to Court?

Similarly, I wasn't aware he was taking us to court?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

We keep complaining that most of the squad aren't good enough for promotion so why they'd suddenly be good enough for the top flight I'm not sure.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
We'll only find out if Gus mentions it in a live interview or BHAFC pre-empt him with an official announcement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here