Poyet to Sunderland

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
This from Sam Wallace in The Independent - a man with his head so far up Poyet's arse, it's amazing he can see to type. The same reporter who broke the news that he was a certainty to take over at Reading:

How gross was Poyet’s misconduct anyway?
As Gus Poyet occupies the favourite’s position for the vacant Sunderland job, Brighton have still not explained what constituted his “gross misconduct” charge that led to his suspension and eventual sacking. Could it be that it amounted to very little and that Brighton are counting on Poyet not taking legal action against them? Either way, it need not give Sunderland cause for concern.

Isn't he a palace fan and a lot of what he writes has an element of anti-Brighton spin ???

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
This from Sam Wallace in The Independent - a man with his head so far up Poyet's arse, it's amazing he can see to type. The same reporter who broke the news that he was a certainty to take over at Reading:

As Gus Poyet occupies the favourite’s position for the vacant Sunderland job, Brighton have still not explained what constituted his “gross misconduct” charge that led to his suspension and eventual sacking. Could it be that it amounted to very little and that Brighton are counting on Poyet not taking legal action against them? Either way, it need not give Sunderland cause for concern.

Your first para explains the second.

Sure, BHA come out and explain why they sacked Gus ... kerching!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Granted most references I have received for job candidates have been very bland and uninformative outside of dates of employment and salary.

I always followed up written references with a telephone call which were often far more informative - I was saying that I felt confident when providing a job reference in giving details of why an employee was dismissed and/or being truthful about their capabilities and work ethos.

You are walking on very dodgy ground then. References about performance and ethos are subjective normally and you leave yourself open to being sued if someone fails to get a job because of your reference. If you own your own company then I hope you have very good legal insurance and if you work for someone then I hope they understand if they are ever sued.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
You are walking on very dodgy ground then. References about performance and ethos are subjective normally and you leave yourself open to being sued if someone fails to get a job because of your reference. If you own your own company then I hope you have very good legal insurance and if you work for someone then I hope they understand if they are ever sued.

Totally. I don't think any business talks about an individuals performance any more .. so many senior people leave under Compromise Agreement too

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
References-
If someone who has worked for me has been a good employee they will get a detailed glowing reference, if they have been shite they get a reference a bit like this,

I can confirm that Mr Bloggs worked for whatever Ltd between 10/4/2013 and 10/10/2013.

That is all they get as then I am not open to being sued, if I am asked for more detail I ignore it. That normally tells the prospective employer everything they need to know.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Well few rumours around Jol is out today so could provide a further twist.

Personally prefer Gus to go to Fulham

I'd think that most likely, although his public statements about wanting the Sunderland job may give him a bit of an awkward moment. If Short wants him he'll be aware of the potential conflict and so would likely make a quick decision. If he doesn't get offered today then I suspect he's out of contention

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
References-
If someone who has worked for me has been a good employee they will get a detailed glowing reference, if they have been shite they get a reference a bit like this,

I can confirm that Mr Bloggs worked for whatever Ltd between 10/4/2013 and 10/10/2013.

That is all they get as then I am not open to being sued, if I am asked for more detail I ignore it. That normally tells the prospective employer everything they need to know.

My last business were involved in an action where a former employee contested the consistency of references. If you are inconsistent you are still opening yourself up, albeit less so. I think few large businesses will provide much more than dates and position

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Gus must be SALIVATING whilst watching Fulham this weekend. Soon he'll have the remains of a nice PLUMP dutchman to feast on.

On a completely seperate topic I found it VERY odd watching the highlights from the Fulham game. The two goals scored to the right goal where bizarre to say the least. I assume this is their "family" stand which can be away or home or neutral fans?

A goal went in for fulham and only about 50% of the stand jumped up, the others stayed down with some clapping some not so happy. And then Cardiff scored a BELTER of a winner and again, only about 20% of the stand jumped up. Bizarre.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Gus must be SALIVATING whilst watching Fulham this weekend. Soon he'll have the remains of a nice PLUMP dutchman to feast on.

On a completely seperate topic I found it VERY odd watching the highlights from the Fulham game. The two goals scored to the right goal where bizarre to say the least. I assume this is their "family" stand which can be away or home or neutral fans?

A goal went in for fulham and only about 50% of the stand jumped up, the others stayed down with some clapping some not so happy. And then Cardiff scored a BELTER of a winner and again, only about 20% of the stand jumped up. Bizarre.

I think the same thing every time I see them on MOTD.

I went to Fulham a few seasons back for a non Brighton game and noticed a neutral section in one of the stands on the side. Didn't sit in it but looked full of tourists (decent idea to boost crowds) and away fans who didn't get a ticket in their initial allocation.

Maybe they have made it a bigger section and moved it behind the goal.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

I went to Fulham a few seasons back for a non Brighton game and noticed a neutral section in one of the stands on the side. Didn't sit in it but looked full of tourists (decent idea to boost crowds) and away fans who didn't get a ticket in their initial allocation.

This has baffled me for a while too. I remember thinking a couple of weeks ago that some away fans must be in that section as only a few Fulham jumped up when they scored. Confusing and weird.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
I am in no doubt that that Gus wants both Sunderland and Fulham to continue losing, to improve his chances of getting either job. Given what he said about his watching closely the form of clubs that might call him, I would be wary of him if I were a supporter of any of those clubs.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Ah that explains it! I was SO confused watching on MOTD as I couldn't work out whose fans were behind that goal, you usually can from prevalent shirt colours but it was a complete mix.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

So Gus has intimated, nay insisted, that he is taking this to court and this journalist finds it strange that the club haven't come out and explained the full details to the press in advance of any court case? Am I missing something here, or is this guy completely clueless?

I'd be interested in Not Andy Naylor's take on this.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Wii he have learnt his lesson, and talk about Sunderland being a big club while downplaying his interest in managing the likes of Chelsea one day?

D

Deleted member 22389

Wii he have learnt his lesson, and talk about Sunderland being a big club while downplaying his interest in managing the likes of Chelsea one day?

Well we are all experts at reading his mind now lol. If he mentions about going to play golf, ceilings or chelsea that the first hints.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports