Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet to Sunderland

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
This bit intrigues me. I'm not convinced, to use an old cliché, a leopard can change it's spots. Everyone can see he needs to be more circumspect in interviews. The ironic thing is that if he had said the right things after the playoff semi final, he may already have the Premier League job he so craves.

I don't think it is fair to use the leopard cliche, a leopard would always eat you even if it could change its's spots.

Gus came here when we were at Withdean and it was easy for him to stamp his authority, and I can see how it got out of hand. Going to Sunderland will be different, they are already a big established club and Gus would simply go there as just another manager.

But as you say he has made it just that little bit harder for himself by not just leaving with dignity and without his outbursts after the semi's

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I don't know, you can’t really compare them, Gus with was committed to 3 1/2 seasons with us, and for all intent and purposes he did the job he was paid to do.

We did beat the Black Cats bitter rivals twice and we beat them once, so if you just look at what he accomplished on the pitch and the length of time he was here, the job swings his way.

It looks as if it just depends on how they view the reasons for his dismissal and if he can charm them with his version and how they judge the seriousness of the gross misconducts.

What happened here has probably been the best lesson of his life and we may see a more watered down version of Gus in a new job.

Yes, he may have learnt his lesson. But where is the evidence? Threatening legal action? No. Vulture approach to his Prem dream? No. I genuinely hope he has learnt, but can't see it yet.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
This bit intrigues me. I'm not convinced, to use an old cliché, a leopard can change it's spots. Everyone can see he needs to be more circumspect in interviews. The ironic thing is that if he had said the right things after the playoff semi final, he may already have the Premier League job he so craves.

Spot on. Shame that it ended the way it did, for Gus, as well as us (although we seem to be already back on the road to success under Oscar; long may that continue).

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
I'm getting a strong feeling that Gus Poyet will NOT be the next manager of Sunderland AFC.
I've just about had it with my club.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I'm getting a strong feeling that Gus Poyet will NOT be the next manager of Sunderland AFC.

Oh? Based on? Just curious - no dissent implied. You'll have much better antennae than me re things SAFC....

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

Just a guess but I think Jol will be gone on Saturday if Fulham fail to win, and Gus is being lined up there. He could be using the high profile Sunderland interest to 'hurry things along'.

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
Oh? Based on? Just curious - no dissent implied. You'll have much better antennae than me re things SAFC....

Rumours coming out of the club. The grapevine around here. One story that he's been interviewed and he didn't particularly impress.
I'm bitterly disappointed. I didn't want to lose Paolo but could have happily got on the Gus Bus.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Yes, he may have learnt his lesson. But where is the evidence? Threatening legal action? No. Vulture approach to his Prem dream? No. I genuinely hope he has learnt, but can't see it yet.

True, by chosing not to leave with dignity it doesn't bode well, he does tend to add fuel to the fire even when he is the one tied to the stake.

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
Just a guess but I think Jol will be gone on Saturday if Fulham fail to win, and Gus is being lined up there. He could be using the high profile Sunderland interest to 'hurry things along'.

I don't know about this weekend but I do think Poyet could be Fulham's new manager soon. It won't be that he'll have "used us", I think he'd have come here if we'd offered him the job.
So we'll be able to watch Poyet keep The Cottagers up at our expense this season and Paolo become a world-class manager over the next few years.
Not that I'm feeling a little bitter and frustrated right now.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I don't know about this weekend but I do think Poyet could be Fulham's new manager soon. It won't be that he'll have "used us", I think he'd have come here if we'd offered him the job.
So we'll be able to watch Poyet keep The Cottagers up at our expense this season and Paolo become a world-class manager over the next few years.
Not that I'm feeling a little bitter and frustrated right now.

Sorry, I also think that if he gets offered the Sunderland job first, he'll surely take it. Just that it wouldn't surprise me if he wants to hurry things up.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Whatever anyone thinks of Gus, we can all agree he has a strong ego.

Most chairmen of Premier League clubs have big egos too. I don't think many of them will set up a clash of egos unless they are 100% convinced they're getting a quality manager who will make their life easier. If Gus didn't impress at interview as suggested, I doubt it was because he sounded unsure of himself, or too willing to let a director of football make the big decisions on player movements.

smiler

Jan 12, 2006
Shoreham by Sea
Poyet would be very keen on the Fulham job because if he stands on a chair in his office and looks out the window he might be able to see Stamford Bridge

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
I'm with Rokerite on this one. I just don't think Gus will get the Sunderland job.

Maybe call it female intuition if you like, but I reckon they'll go for someone else. Gus is a bit too much like PDC and I don't think the Sunderland board will want to take a chance again. Reckon they'll go for someone a bit more established.

Tony Pulis anyone?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
1. Now that PDC is on the TV pundit market I would MUCH rather watch him than Gus.
2. There are reports of RDM being lined up at Galatasaray.
3. Sunderland fans seem keener on Zola than Poyet.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Poyet to Fulham is a much more likely scenario I would say. Firstly because clubs tend to go for opposites when one manager doesn't work out. Boring, to exciting, to boring, to exciting. PDC followed by Poyet is a double risk. Boring Jol followed by Poyet makes a lot more sense. And I also think Poyet would prefer the London based Fulham job. Other than a short role in Leeds has he ever shown any inclination to leave London or the South?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Poyet to Fulham is a much more likely scenario I would say. Firstly because clubs tend to go for opposites when one manager doesn't work out. Boring, to exciting, to boring, to exciting. PDC followed by Poyet is a double risk. Boring Jol followed by Poyet makes a lot more sense. And I also think Poyet would prefer the London based Fulham job. Other than a short role in Leeds has he ever shown any inclination to leave London or the South?

Been saying this for a while. I don't think Zola will go anywhere so the options for Sunderland are limited, which may well give Poyet such limited competition that their hand is forced. Alternatively I think Fulham will be a much better option for him and obv he knows it's all brewing up there ... much might depend on his patience, although he's not shown a great deal of that.

Plus rejecting their offer ups his stock considerably ... them rejecting him probably blows a hole in his side, albeit temporaily

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

He left Uruguay. Which is quite a long way south.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here