Poyet to Sunderland

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If Gus doesn't get it because of his dismissal, presumably it would make him all the more determined to carry on with the legal proceedings.

Possibly. Or alternatively if he doesn't get it, he might start to realise for the first time that he really hasn't helped himself here, and that further dirty laundry being aired in public might damage him more and add to the list of jobs he already hasn't got as a result.

Certainly don't think a new club will want Poyet pursuing action against Brighton, they will want all energies devoted to keeping club in PL. And they may pay him extra to drop it.

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
According to my paper this morning, Meulensteen is coming in to the frame.

His name was mentioned a lot yesterday. I'll be very disappointed if he gets the job. The only appointment that would make me put the disgraceful treatment of Paolo behind me and get on with supporting the team is Gus.
I realise you are one of those who regarded Di Canio as a mad choice.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
His name was mentioned a lot yesterday. I'll be very disappointed if he gets the job. The only appointment that would make me put the disgraceful treatment of Paolo behind me and get on with supporting the team is Gus.

Opinions about Poyet aside, why would you be very disappointed? He's got an excellent pedigree having successfully coached one of the very best teams in Europe.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Wonder if he will go for a 'safe' bet like Pullis or McLaren if they are classed as safe.

I can't see any premier league team EVER going for Pulis.

Don't get me wrong, what he did at Stoke was VERY VERY good (he did spend a LOT OF WONGA though)....but you are basically making a statement to the fans, before the first ball is kicked (or hoofed) exactly how you're going to play.

He's basically typcasted himself!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

I am one of those who regarded Di Canio as a mad choice, but am interested to hear someone who seems fairly level headed come up with the opposite view. Some of us on here will actually listen to other people's views and take them on board!!!!!

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
Opinions about Poyet aside, why would you be very disappointed? He's got an excellent pedigree having successfully coached one of the very best teams in Europe.

He was highly regarded for his work as a coach at manu, but there's a long list of those who were successful side men to Ferguson but have failed when venturing out on their own. There's nothing in his record to suggest he'll make a good manager. History is littered with excellent coaches who were terrible managers.
Mind, in this new age and set up at Sunderland it isn't clear what is required in Paolo's replacement, other than that he does what the players want. The term head coach rather than manager is being used, so who knows?
I suppose some of it is just gut instinct, unreliable but hey, I'm a football supporter.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Of course we don't know if the job hinges on Sunderland's opinion of the dispute between GP and BHAFC and if it does and he gets the job then what will that say about the validity of the charges? ???

Yep, I did mean to cover both scenarios. I should have said if he gets the job or not, it would say something about how serious or not the the charges were.

It was my last post of the early morning so this may not have been clear.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
BW is obsessed. You should all take my word for it. Someone told me something about it. But I can't tell you what. Or who. But it's true.

Spot on. Although 'someone' is a bit dismissive! ;-)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Gus does not come across well in that interview at all, poorly judged wording and makes him sounds like self obsessed, massive egotistical bellend. Always liked Gus as a manager for us but think his comments about other clubs even now are unnecessary. Reading that it's as though he think every club in the premiership are interested in his services.

That's a good summary of his latest diatribe. Unbelievable, some on here STILL can't see it!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
He was highly regarded for his work as a coach at manu, but there's a long list of those who were successful side men to Ferguson but have failed when venturing out on their own. There's nothing in his record to suggest he'll make a good manager. History is littered with excellent coaches who were terrible managers.
Mind, in this new age and set up at Sunderland it isn't clear what is required in Paolo's replacement, other than that he does what the players want. The term head coach rather than manager is being used, so who knows?
I suppose some of it is just gut instinct, unreliable but hey, I'm a football supporter.

Understood ... but it looks as if that other Italian fella is getting a lot more involved ... perhaps one reason why Meulensteen might be a wise choice and Poyet not. I don't know but (as you can see) it's an interesting process and it may well not play out till next week. As another said if that's the case and Fulham lose at home to Baadiff maybe another aspect to consider!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
we believe Short made a massive mistake when he sacked him on Sunday.

Why? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious what you think PDC's done well?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You have used obsessed twice in one sentence! Sloppy!

You're right!

How about "Once to try to make a point about how obsessed I was, when you seem fixated with my posts!"?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
You'd love it if he didn't get it, wouldn't you?

No I have not said that. In all my posts on here I have been pro wanting to see him tested in the Prem and I believe he is the perfect person to keep them up because he will make them hard to beat. Having said that I don't really give a orangutan, both scenarios are fine with me, it's interesting either way.

Last edited:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I don't think anyone would suggest that Gus' success was not partly down to the way the club has been run behind the scenes. When we have wanted new players, we got them. He wanted Calderon and Hendrie when he first got here, and Barnes on loan, and we got them. He wanted Gordon Greer, however unlikely that looked, and we got him. He was well backed by any standards and in reality the tools for his trade were provided to him by a man we universally think of as brilliant and one of us. In Bloom we trust.

But for all that, he had his job to do. And he did it. We all wanted out of League 1, amd he won the title. We all want Premier League football, and he so nearly provided it. Had we gone up it would have been a massive achievement for the club. But my only source of annoyance on this subject is that by not going up, he did NOT fail us. But not going up his reign was not somehow unfulfilled or a failure.

Gotta say that we are closer on this subject than I first thought. Just a few nuanced differences away.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
This could be interesting the Sunderland job may depend on how they view the gross misconduct charges.

Sunderland are understood to be making detailed inquiries about the precise circumstances which prompted the 45-year-old Uruguayan's acrimonious departure from Brighton – something that remains the subject of legal proceedings – in June. The identity of their new manager may well hinge on Short's reading of the situation.

If that's true, then Meulensteen it is then!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Interesting. He's going to have to piece it together as there's no way Bloom can say anything, even "off the record". Also think if Meulensteen is interested that would be a far better appointment for them.

Still puts Poyet in pole position for the next one

Actually, I agree with you. Not sure how Mr Short will get to the detail behind the gross misconduct charges << waiting for the call <-- joking! >>

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
If that's true, then Meulensteen it is then!

That's a very sweeping assumption to make - if one can make a "sweeping" assumption.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I imagine tony bloom might put a good spin on it for gus. A) if he doesn't it could make gus more determined to go to court and drag everything out to clear his name (even if the club are confident they'd win, they'd be wise to set aside potential pay out money just in case, hampering us longer, and also simply being a drain on our resources and time) b) gus getting the Sunderland job could see an end to the threat of legal action

Interesting post. Maybe a deal is in the offing. Drop the legal threat and we'll back-up your Sunderland application.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports