Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet to Sunderland

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I imagine tony bloom might put a good spin on it for gus. A) if he doesn't it could make gus more determined to go to court and drag everything out to clear his name (even if the club are confident they'd win, they'd be wise to set aside potential pay out money just in case, hampering us longer, and also simply being a drain on our resources and time) b) gus getting the Sunderland job could see an end to the threat of legal action

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I imagine tony bloom might put a good spin on it for gus.

Integrity?

Whatever happened was extreme enough to see TB bring an acrimonious end to the reign of our most successful Manager in recent times. I'd hope he was more professional than to dilute that. He'll do the right thing and "no comment".

It'll be up to Short to use his business nous to figure it IMO

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Bit of history re-writing there if we'd finished third we'd have had to get past Leicester and would have had the FINAL against Palace, assuming they had beaten Watford over two legs :wink:

point taken, Icy. It wasn't a shabby season's work though was it? Bar those final 45 minutes when Palarse steamrollered our non-attendees, it was a bloody good season. It's a real shame that the shite quite literally hit the fan directly afterwards, but I'm sure you'll agree that there were certainly great things to remember over the seasoon - & the preceeding 2 seasons as well. :thumbsup:

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Integrity?

Whatever happened was extreme enough to see TB bring an acrimonious end to the reign of our most successful Manager in recent times. I'd hope he was more professional than to dilute that. He'll do the right thing and "no comment".

If TB is confident that the club was justified in dismissing GP then there is no reason why the club should be anything but open and honest with the Sunderland board - not to do so could only imply lack of confidence.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Integrity?

TB pays people to run his business.whatever Sunderland want to investigate regarding poyets sacking with be dealt with by the clubs HR department

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
If TB is confident that the club was justified in dismissing GP then there is no reason why the club should be anything but open and honest with the Sunderland board - not to do so could only imply lack of confidence.

Well he'll be on very dodgy ground, I'd have thought he'd have had enough of it tbh

TB pays people to run his business.whatever Sunderland want to investigate regarding poyets sacking with be dealt with by the clubs HR department

Sorry but there's absolutely zero chance of that

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It would be ironic if Sunderland passed on Poyet because of concerns about his temperament, given the fact 6 months ago they were willing to employ possibly the most unstable man ever to manage in British football history.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Integrity?

It depends on what gus did, I suppose. I know some have said he didn't do anything, and some act like what he did was the worst crime ever, but there are also some who say it was a case of something that is technically wrong, is usually overlooked, but can be used if you want to get rid of someone without paying them off.

If bloom, via the hr department play it as a breakdown in the relationship and a technicality that they were legally on solid ground to sack him for, but Ellis shouldn't be concerned as long as he gets on well with gus, I don't how that lacks integrity.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Only on dodgy ground if the club were on "dodgy ground" in sacking GP

But Poyet is (seemingly) challenging it in a court of law. He would have taken advice and feel he's got a strong case. The application of many aspects of employment law isn't black and white, there probably isn't a huge amount of evidence either way and there will be all sorts of allegations and counter allegations.

I simply can't see TB saying anything until a judgement has been made or the case dropped

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
This ! ... He thinks he is better than us so why worry about him ... Oscar is the man now ffs

Until such time as (a)the threat of legal action against the club is ended or a court case is settled and (b)GP has a new employer then the events surrounding him are of intrinsic interest to both the club and those fans concerned for the club.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
But Poyet is (seemingly) challenging it in a court of law. He would have taken advice and feel he's got a strong case. The application of many aspects of employment law isn't black and white, there probably isn't a huge amount of evidence either way and there will be all sorts of allegations and counter allegations.

I simply can't see TB saying anything until a judgement has been made or the case dropped

Possibly agree IF a court case had been started by GP. Public statements of intent to start a legal action bears no weight in law.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
If bloom, via the hr department play it as a breakdown in the relationship and a technicality that they were legally on solid ground to sack him for, but Ellis shouldn't be concerned as long as he gets on well with gus, I don't how that lacks integrity.

You'll have noticed this aspect interests me!

Short is a very astute businessman and unlikely to be flannelled, by some spurious statement. He'd want to know what led to the breakdown and likely the detail. It wouldn't ring true if TB were just to shrug it off as "one of those things".

Plus this is way beyond the remit of HR. I could pretty well guarantee both sets of lawyers have been fully briefed

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Possibly agree IF a court case had been started by GP. Public statements of intent to start a legal action bears no weight in law.

Fair, one thing we don't know if the action is underway or not. If, after this time, Poyet hasn't commenced action then it suggests he's been advised of a weak argument.

If I were Short that's a line of enquiry I'd probe

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Fair, one thing we don't know if the action is underway or not. If, after this time, Poyet hasn't commenced action then it suggests he's been advised of a weak argument.

If I were Short that's a line of enquiry I'd probe

Most cases take a long time to actually get to a hearing but nobody knows either one way or the other whether papers have been served yet.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
What about dyslexic people??? What does the fact they can't read or write very well say about them??? I'm glad your putting this, so people can see what you really are. I left school 26 years ago, with not many qualifications granted. But I've worked everyday since and have never claimed a penny in my life. I have a fantastic child and a loving family all around me....So what does my grammar tell you about me then???....You total ****.

What about them ? They have an excuse - what's yours ?

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I would agree with you. People disagreeing with me, I have no problem with. People who think I talk a load of crap I have no problem with. But kids who think they are funny trying to rip the piss out of people's grammar and spelling grips my shite, that's pathetic.

I tend to take the opinions of the literate much more seriously than that of the illiterate.

So what does my grammar tell you about me then???....You total ****.

It tells me that you're a bit thick.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Interesting. He's going to have to piece it together as there's no way Bloom can say anything, even "off the record". Also think if Meulensteen is interested that would be a far better appointment for them.

Still puts Poyet in pole position for the next one

I agree - Tony won't say anything, particularly as it seems quite likely that whatever he did say would appear in the follow up article.

Only on dodgy ground if the club were on "dodgy ground" in sacking GP

I would have thought that Gus would be obliged to show Ellis a copy of his employment termination by law, whether he disputes it or not, and he would then have the opportunity to explain his version of the gross misconducts behind closed doors.

It would then be down to Ellis to decide the version of the truth he trusts, and whether he himself considers the charges amount to gross misconduct or not.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I would have thought that Gus would be obliged to show Ellis a copy of his employment termination by law, whether he disputes it or not, and he would then have the opportunity to explain his version of the gross misconducts behind closed doors.

It would then be down to Ellis to decide the version of the truth he trusts, and whether he himself considers the charges amount to gross misconduct or not.

Villa?

There's no law that he says he has to but you're right. Short will likely ask to see it and will ask for Poyet's side of it. No need and no point talking to TB or anyone at BHA, Short will trust his own judgement (though having screwed up so badly with PDC, who knows?)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here