Poyet to Sunderland

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
If Oscar takes us up many on here will say, it's partly down to Poyet. Despite the fact Oscar has bulked up the squad physically by introducing Ince, Andrews, Kemy and bringing back Crofts, all much more attack minded and a physical presence. Playing with two wide men(maybe after Saturday, we can expect to see more of this) on the pitch and by playing a more direct attacking game.....Buckley has already publicly said the players are loving the new style and I am lead to believe there is a real feel good factor around the whole place, which has been missing for quite a while....Let's get one thing straight, what ever we achieve this season is down to Oscar and nothing to do with Poyet.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Gus does not come across well in that interview at all, poorly judged wording and makes him sounds like self obsessed, massive egotistical bellend. Always liked Gus as a manager for us but think his comments about other clubs even now are unnecessary. Reading that it's as though he think every club in the premiership are interested in his services.

But that is exactly what he is and exactly what he thinks. Interview is about spot on for me.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Given the choice (and the risk is he won't) but surely he goes for Fulham every time ... it must be one of the clubs on his "watch list"

I wonder how he would be regarded by Fulham fans, given his Chelsea background, love for all things Chelsea, and oft-stated desire to manage them at some point? I can't imagine it would be a particularly endearing quality, for many of them?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I genuinely think that if Gus hadn't had the elongated tantrum and public issues with the board at the end of last season, he'd probably walk into a job like the Sunderland one. They wouldn't delay the decision.

Forget about the behind-the-scenes stuff that none of us really know about. Just take THAT interview on TV straight after the game ... if the video of that was played back during the job interview and he was asked to justify his behaviour, I think he'd struggle to convince any new employer that he was a team player with a grasp of financial reality and respect for his club and fans. And that leaked email has merely given Sunderland fans the idea that it was Poyet that "decorated" the Palace changing room!

If Gus does get the Sunderland job, I'll wish him well, but I hope he curbs the more unpleasant aspects of his character. Or just grasps the idea that you don't need to vocalise every thought in your head.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
If Oscar takes us up many on here will say, it's partly down to Poyet. Despite the fact Oscar has bulked up the squad physically by introducing Ince, Andrews, Kemy and bringing back Crofts, all much more attack minded and a physical presence. Playing with two wide men(maybe after Saturday, we can expect to see more of this) on the pitch and by playing a more direct attacking game.....Buckley has already publicly said the players are loving the new style and I am lead to believe there is a real feel good factor around the whole place, which has been missing for quite a while....Let's get one thing straight, what ever we achieve this season is down to Oscar and nothing to do with Poyet.

You stupid, stupid bore.

It doesn't surprise me in the least that you completely ignore the fact that the majority of first teamers were brought in by Poyet - & finished THIRD in the division last year. Nor does it surprise me that you fail to state that Ince was given his chance through the injury Bridcutt sustained at the start of the season. Agustein may well prove to be a good signing, but I can't say I've been particularly impressed with his contribution thus far. We all know what Crofts can do & it's pleasing to see that he looks interested again. I seem to recall that Poyet re-signed him after he was surplus to requirements at Norwich, but you probably believe he came under duress & immediately fell fowl of the manager's clueless approach to the game. Still, the side didn't do too badly without the massive physicality of Andrew Crofts at the heart of the side. Frankly, you wouldn't appreciate good football if it came & kicked you up your arse.

No doubt you'll put me down as a Poyet worshipper - who thought the man could do no wrong; & as having no appreciation for the job that OG has done since he came here recently. The fact is, I don't give a tuppenny **** what you think I believe. You're so far up your own backside with your obsession of the Uruguayan Anti-Christ that I doubt if you'll ever get your eyes & ears in a position that could alter your opinion. Consider yourself as a permanent fixture on my ignore list from now on. Enough already.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Twinkle Toes; It doesn't surprise me in the least that you completely ignore the fact that the majority of first teamers were brought in by Poyet - & finished THIRD in the division last year.[/QUOTE said:
Bit of history re-writing there if we'd finished third we'd have had to get past Leicester and would have had the FINAL against Palace, assuming they had beaten Watford over two legs :wink:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Once to try to make a point about how obsessed I was, when you seem obsessed with my posts!

You have used obsessed twice in one sentence! Sloppy!

I wonder how he would be regarded by Fulham fans, given his Chelsea background, love for all things Chelsea, and oft-stated desire to manage them at some point? I can't imagine it would be a particularly endearing quality, for many of them?

Mullers managed Palace - but he did know they were c**ts before he went. Yet they still love him and sing about him.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
You stupid, stupid bore.

It doesn't surprise me in the least that you completely ignore the fact that the majority of first teamers were brought in by Poyet - & finished THIRD in the division last year. Nor does it surprise me that you fail to state that Ince was given his chance through the injury Bridcutt sustained at the start of the season. Agustein may well prove to be a good signing, but I can't say I've been particularly impressed with his contribution thus far. We all know what Crofts can do & it's pleasing to see that he looks interested again. I seem to recall that Poyet re-signed him after he was surplus to requirements at Norwich, but you probably believe he came under duress & immediately fell fowl of the manager's clueless approach to the game. Still, the side didn't do too badly without the massive physicality of Andrew Crofts at the heart of the side. Frankly, you wouldn't appreciate good football if it came & kicked you up your arse.

No doubt you'll put me down as a Poyet worshipper - who thought the man could do no wrong; & as having no appreciation for the job that OG has done since he came here recently. The fact is, I don't give a tuppenny **** what you think I believe. You're so far up your own backside with your obsession of the Uruguayan Anti-Christ that I doubt if you'll ever get your eyes & ears in a position that could alter your opinion. Consider yourself as a permanent fixture on my ignore list from now on. Enough already.

Haven't read anything of the thread e/cept this. But......calm down dear.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Poyet was an excellent manager for us. I wish him well ,and will follow his career with interest ......(Is there anything else ? ......)

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
It all went wrong for him here because he ultimately thought he was bigger than the club.

If he succeeds at Sunderland (and I wish him well and hope he does) he'll sooner or later reach the same point with them.

It's who he is.

Last edited:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
You stupid, stupid bore.

Don't worry. He'll turn against Oscar once his slick passing on the floor style comes fully to the fore and curse him for not signing the new white Kevin Francis, putting Poyet's supposed mercenary ways to bed and aim his ungracious dour monotony at a living and moving target closer to home. His drab fiendishness needs not enough respect to earn him the longest list of ignores on the site that he so craves.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Whilst I agree with a lot of what you are saying, and I have REPEATEDLY said I recognise Gus' achievements on the pitch (via his team), I still think you and others on here are overplaying Gus' influence on our success (highly significant tho' that influence may be), and UNDERPLAYING that of Tony and the board.

Gus achieved his target with the (generous) resources he was provided (and he REPEATEDLY failed to appreciate what he had). If Oscar succeeds in getting us up, then I can't help feeling you and others will over-play Gus' role in that success, and under-play Oscar's role. But, hey ho, at least you are arguing your case, instead of just resorting to obscenities (a certain glasfryn take note please).

I don't think anyone would suggest that Gus' success was not partly down to the way the club has been run behind the scenes. When we have wanted new players, we got them. He wanted Calderon and Hendrie when he first got here, and Barnes on loan, and we got them. He wanted Gordon Greer, however unlikely that looked, and we got him. He was well backed by any standards and in reality the tools for his trade were provided to him by a man we universally think of as brilliant and one of us. In Bloom we trust.

But for all that, he had his job to do. And he did it. We all wanted out of League 1, amd he won the title. We all want Premier League football, and he so nearly provided it. Had we gone up it would have been a massive achievement for the club. But my only source of annoyance on this subject is that by not going up, he did NOT fail us. But not going up his reign was not somehow unfulfilled or a failure.

You stupid, stupid bore.

Absolutely sensational. Brilliantly written.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
You stupid, stupid bore.

You don't give a tuppenny **** what I think. But you felt compelled to write a line and two paragraphs about it....

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I don't think anyone would suggest that Gus' success was not partly down to the way the club has been run behind the scenes. When we have wanted new players, we got them. He wanted Calderon and Hendrie when he first got here, and Barnes on loan, and we got them. He wanted Gordon Greer, however unlikely that looked, and we got him. He was well backed by any standards and in reality the tools for his trade were provided to him by a man we universally think of as brilliant and one of us. In Bloom we trust.

But for all that, he had his job to do. And he did it. We all wanted out of League 1, amd he won the title. We all want Premier League football, and he so nearly provided it. Had we gone up it would have been a massive achievement for the club. But my only source of annoyance on this subject is that by not going up, he did NOT fail us. But not going up his reign was not somehow unfulfilled or a failure.

Absolutely sensational. Brilliantly written.

And you have changed your tune, 24 hours ago it was Gus, Gus and Gus alone.....There are so many back trackers on this board it unbelievable. At least I go down with my ship and not jump in the boats and bollox to the women and children.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports