Poyet to Sunderland

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
BW is obsessed. You should all take my word for it. Someone told me something about it. But I can't tell you what. Or who. But it's true.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You should all take my word for it. Someone told me something about it. But I can't tell you what. Or who. But it's true.

You've pretty much summed up all 6,900-odd (and I do mean ODD) of his posts right there and then.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Gus does not come across well in that interview at all, poorly judged wording and makes him sounds like self obsessed, massive egotistical bellend. Always liked Gus as a manager for us but think his comments about other clubs even now are unnecessary. Reading that it's as though he think every club in the premiership are interested in his services.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Reading that it's as though he think every club in the premiership are interested in his services.

Most who get rid of their Manager in the first half season will be. The competition seems to be RDM then the rest headed up by Pulis, maybe Zola but I doubt it, and that's about it.

Old Hadlothian

@san_miguel73
Jul 24, 2007
Borough of Crows
I am still being told this is a done deal & not sure what the hold up in announcement is
(Not one to post rumours etc, but this is from someone inside the club)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Have to say that I thought that the last few months may have knocked Gus's confidence a little. The Argus article puts to bed any concerns on that front :lolol:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I am still being told this is a done deal & not sure what the hold up in announcement is
(Not one to post rumours etc, but this is from someone inside the club)

I'd imagine they'd want him to drop any action against BHA (if indeed he's actually started any) ... so as to focus on the task in hand? Perhaps he's making a bit of a thing about that ... all good for his image, how he "reluctantly" drops his case, so unable to fully clear his name

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
So i wonder if Ellis Short the Sunderland owner, has had a chat with Tony Bloom? According to press, the recommendation to hire Poyet has been made to him, he is now reviewing whether he has the right character...

Well if Short is insisting on due diligence in the appointment surely he would want a chat with his previous employer or a reference ?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Well if Short is insisting on due diligence in the appointment surely he would want a chat with his previous employer or a reference ?

I can't see a written reference being asked for. These days, pretty much any employer will simply say " we can conform that X was employed by us between the dates of Y and Z" and that's it, since anything else could be used by either the ex-employee or new employer if the new working arrangements don't work out. I guess that since it's public knowledge that Gus was dimissed for Gross Misconduct, that could be added to the reference.

A phone call is a different matter in practice, but not in law. If it could be proven (by a tape recording, for example) what was said in a phone conversation was defamatory, the reference giver could again be in all sorts of trouble. Much harder to prove, of course, but I suspect that TB would be extremely cautious on even a phone call in case Short were ever to release the details of that call some time later if/when his arrangement with Poyet went sour.

On balance, I would think such a conversation would go something like:

Short: So, Poyet then?
TB: Can't really talk about it; there may be a legal case pending. Sorry.

...repeat ad nauseam...

Jimmy Grimble

I'm pretty much on the fence with the whole Poyet saga and the way he came across in the media whilst managing us, but CHRIST, he comes across badly in that interview! :lolol:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

Very dodgy indeed ... even employers won't say anything about employees now other than the very basics (dates, role) the potential for litigation is enormous, so in this scenario I just can't see it. Indeed given all the agg TB seems to have had I'd imagine a "no comment" would be quite gratifying

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Maybe they're waiting for the liverpool and man utd games to be played, so as not to start with two losses.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Maybe they're waiting for the liverpool and man utd games to be played, so as not to start with two losses.

Hmmm...interesting thought. Both sides would possibly want that, and it would give GP another couple of weeks to see if Fulham came knocking. Somehow, I doubt it, but it would make sense.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
In all fairness surely Sunderland are a bigger club than Fulham, the only main minuses are

1: Its up north
2: Dump of a City
3: More expectations from the fans
4: Squad not as good as Fulhams
5: Its up north

6: Much, much, MUCH more difficult to keep them up this season.

This would be the killer, surely? If it were a straight choice between Fulham and SAFC, I would think that anyone without previous close ties to Sunderland would take the Fulham job, wouldn't they?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Given the choice (and the risk is he won't) but surely he goes for Fulham every time ... it must be one of the clubs on his "watch list"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports