Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet to Sunderland

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
its on record that I have said more than a few times that I don't trust any of them ,the club or Gus football is a shite business and all who go into it must know this.
betrayed .....well yes by all of them

If you feel betrayed by Tony and the current board you must be sadly lacking ANY perspective.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Good spot and I'll hold my hand up to never having seen that. Would it be churlish to suggest that I rather liked his reply?

He said when asked if he would welcome the chance to manage Chelsea: "There is no pressure in giving you an answer.

"Obviously I am a legend over there. I'm aware that people value me very much as much as I value them. But what is going to happen in the future I don't know.

"One thing for sure is I love what I am doing at Watford. I love this club and the supporters and everybody.

"Now I want to give them a huge contribution and then we'll see. A lot of what happens in the future depends on the contribution I will be able to give to them. That is what I am focused on. I need to prove myself over here first."

And there you go. There is a MASSIVE difference between this and Gus' public pronouncements. MASSIVE.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Oscar has an easier job because Gus Poyet took us out of League 1 and established us in the Championship with the backbone of a very good squad for this level.

If we go up it will be because Oscar has done a very job and been successful in his own right, with his style and his good work. The good job done by Gus is over, and this is Oscar's story now but the reality remains that Gus Poyet did a good job here.

Reaching the Premier League was our aim and our intention bit we are not Leeds. We are not under some misguided impression it is somehow our right to play in the Premier League. We nearly earnt it, and we'll try again. If it doesn't happen again, so be it.

I have only quoted two of your posts in this thread to specifically agree with them, but there could be many more. We agree entirely on this one and I'm glad someone else is fighting this point. Along with Lt Mellotron. Good work lads.

Gus' legacy will be felt for a LONG time at Brighton and Hove Albion. That is our reality.

Whilst I agree with a lot of what you are saying, and I have REPEATEDLY said I recognise Gus' achievements on the pitch (via his team), I still think you and others on here are overplaying Gus' influence on our success (highly significant tho' that influence may be), and UNDERPLAYING that of Tony and the board.

Gus achieved his target with the (generous) resources he was provided (and he REPEATEDLY failed to appreciate what he had). If Oscar succeeds in getting us up, then I can't help feeling you and others will over-play Gus' role in that success, and under-play Oscar's role. But, hey ho, at least you are arguing your case, instead of just resorting to obscenities (a certain glasfryn take note please).

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Most managers have at least some respect for other manager's already in a job when questioned by the press but Gus does indeed sound like a self centred vulture in that interview.

It doesn't make him out to be a very empathic person. You'd have thought he might have learnt not to answer every question he's asked totally honestly every time; but seemingly not.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Only 4 defeats all season and our highest position for 30 years? That seems a lot of point winning to me.

It certainly was, if only he could have (as he should have) converted his ridiculous number of draws into wins. We would be in the Prem now, still Gus-less tho'

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Actually I don't think we have official confirmation of legal action yet, just statements of intent.

Yes, he has threatened but NOT delivered re legal action, which is wise.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
We've got 23,000 STH at BHA.
If you asked them if they preferred pre-Gus hoofball or post-Gus keepball ... 22,500 of them would answer the latter.

The other 500 seem to post on here :)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
To be fair , he has a point. I haven't even been involved with or bothered to read this thread, but it's yet another one where you DOMINATE the post count with (presumably) obsessive anti-Poyet diatribe. 87 out of 700 posts here belong to you.

Thank you for my post count figure; really useful information! You really should read the thread before making a comment TBH. There has been plenty of abuse, mostly by the pro-Gus deluded-ones, i.e. your cronies, culminating in the ban-worthy post from the very angry and ill-informed glasfryn.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Most managers have at least some respect for other manager's already in a job when questioned by the press but Gus does indeed sound like a self centred vulture in that interview.

Yes, because his character flaws keep on shining through.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If you feel betrayed by Tony and the current board you must be sadly lacking ANY perspective.

While I'm grateful for what Bloom has provided and produced, if you seriously have 100% in anyone in football then you're a) a fool and b) forgetting the clubs past

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
While I'm grateful for what Bloom has provided and produced, if you seriously have 100% in anyone in football then you're a) a fool and b) forgetting the clubs past

From my front row perch in WSU I have a perfect view of the directors' seats. Tony wasn't there last Saturday but his brother was together with brother and Tony's children. All the boys were wearing full Albion kit and when the goals rattled in they went as mental as the rest of us. One or both of these lads will one day be running this club. I think we're in very safe hands.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

S/he said s/he felt betrayed by the club, which is ridiculous IMHO. What you're saying is obvious. As you pointed out, I have criticised the board when I felt it merited criticism, e.g. lack of action to plug striker gap.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
From my front row perch in WSU I have a perfect view of the directors' seats. Tony wasn't there last Saturday but his brother was together with brother and Tony's children. All the boys were wearing full Albion kit and when the goals rattled in they went as mental as the rest of us. One or both of these lads will one day be running this club. I think we're in very safe hands.

Yes, and Tony is there supporting with the rest of us when he can be. We are so, so lucky to have him as our chairman. He is the key to our successful future.

D

Deleted member 22389

Reading the mail apparently Gus has been offered the job, but it is now finally down to the owner to make the final decision on it. I don't honestly think Gus did himself any favours after the Palace match. Gus also bought a load on unneeded attention to this club because of his status, which I hated at the end. So glad we have Oscar now in respect of that. Oscar is quiet, getting on with the job. That is all we need. One interview before and after the match, and not being reported in the papers.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
So i wonder if Ellis Short the Sunderland owner, has had a chat with Tony Bloom? According to press, the recommendation to hire Poyet has been made to him, he is now reviewing whether he has the right character...

Last edited:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
So i wonder if Ellis Short the Sunderland owner, has had a chat with Tony Bloom? According to press, the recommendation to hire Poyet has been made to him, he is now reviewing whether he has the right character...

With no judgement made one way or another I can't see it. If Poyet is rejected on the basis of anything TB or PB were to say the chit would really hit the fan, and way too risky to expect anything said would be held in confidence

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here