Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet to Sunderland

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
The problem(s) for me is Gus Poyet. He messed up big time with the second leg of the playoffs. He, if rumours are true, turned up for the second leg against Palace 30 minutes before kick off. Not exactly professional if true and not surprising that the players appeared to be ill-prepared and not up for it.

Poyet blaming everybody but himself is what has angered so many. We should have beaten Palace over two legs, without a shadow of a doubt. Forget the goal that nearly was at Selhurst, fact is Gus blew it. With the squad he had available we should have gone up in second place. Instead, we lost in the playoffs.

Forgetting everything else, Poyet's post Palace defeat interview turned me from wanting him to stay and finish the job to wanting him gone straight away. He didn't give a damn about the club at that point and that is unforgivable. He may well be the reason we nearly got promoted. He is also the reason we didn't too. I hope he gets the Sunderland job so we can close the book on his era. He wasn't as great as some are making him out to have been, he wasn't as bad as the others say either. Personally I'm now pissed off with the man because HE cost us promotion after getting us so close.

I was one of many who didn't want him moving to another club, gradually became more and more frustrated at his less than subtle hints for other clubs to come and get him and now I'm glad he's gone. Thanks for the good you did Gus and bollocks to you for the rest.

^^^^^^ Exactly.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As I'm sharing links I did a piece for the ANS boys on Oscar and Poyet. It's basically what I think of Poyet's role but it's too long to put as a post here so instead have a click on the link if you want to read something a bit longer on the subject. And yes, I'm sure there's a lot of you that don't want to to read anything else on the subject ever again.

http://www.amexnorthstand.com/bhafconlyathome.html

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I never had any time for him & always despised the 1 dimensional negativity that we had to endure. One of my favourite passwords is f**koffpoyet. Chess is simply not a spectator sport.

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
I can't be arsed to read through 32 pages, but i bet i don't have to.

The usual anti-Poyet brigade will no doubt have been on here re-writing history, and somehow claiming that one poor post match interview following the Palace debacle wipes out every bit of good he ever did for BHA.

If any Sunderland fan is reading this you need to understand that Poyet's biggest crime was that he loved Leeds and Chelsea more than he loved us.
For some of the morons who populate this message board that is unforgiveable, and it says it all about their intelligence levels that they genuinely think a Football Club Manager should have the same feelings for the club as a supporter of 30 or 40 years does.

If any Sunderland supporter values loyalty to their club above all else, then pray you don't employ Poyet, because his loyalties will always look in the direction of Chelsea, or Leeds.

If however you want a Manager who will change your club into a team worth watching, a team who dominate possession, a team playing good football, and a team that will win more than they lose, then pray for Poyet, he completely transformed BHA with his ethos on pure football.

We've got 23,000 STH at BHA.
If you asked them if they preferred pre-Gus hoofball or post-Gus keepball ... 22,500 of them would answer the latter.

Get him if you can ... he will transform your team.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Yeah fair comment, it always comes back to TB, as it should.

Gus still had to successfully implement it, which he did do.

Yep, he accomplished what he was hired to do, got paid well for doing it, and he was the right person at the time.

I wouldn’t change a thing, but at the same time it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that Bloom would have found someone else who could have got us promotion.

In fact in hindsight it could be considered that Murray won us promotion and not Gus? Now that would make a fascinating debate. :whistle:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

The usual anti-Poyet brigade will no doubt have been on here re-writing history, and somehow claiming that one poor post match interview following the Palace debacle wipes out every bit of good he ever did for BHA.

If any Sunderland fan is reading this you need to understand that Poyet's biggest crime was that he loved Leeds and Chelsea more than he loved us.
For some of the morons who populate this message board that is unforgiveable, and it says it all about their intelligence levels that they genuinely think a Football Club Manager should have the same feelings for the club as a supporter of 30 or 40 years does.

If any Sunderland supporter values loyalty to their club above all else, then pray you don't employ Poyet, because his loyalties will always look in the direction of Chelsea, or Leeds.

If however you want a Manager who will change your club into a team worth watching, a team who dominate possession, a team playing good football, and a team that will win more than they lose, then pray for Poyet, he completely transformed BHA with his ethos on pure football.

If you asked them if they preferred pre-Gus hoofball or post-Gus keepball ... 22,500 of them would answer the latter.

Nailed it.

Fantastic work.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells

If you going to say all that then fair enough, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But in the interests of balance you could add, he spent a fortune. Acted like a spoilt child on many occasions, was prone to hissy fits, nothing was ever his fault and when finally someone stood up to him and said no, he through his toys out the pram and wanted to walk away.....That's not the half of it by any stretch of the imagination, but you have to add that much in the interests of balance.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Absolutely spot on :thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If you going to say all that then fair enough, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But in the interests of balance you could add, he spent a fortune. Acted like a spoilt child on many occasions, was prone to hissy fits, nothing was ever his fault and when finally someone stood up to him and said no, he through his toys out the pram and wanted to walk away.....That's not the half of it by any stretch of the imagination, but you have to add that much in the interests of balance.

:lolol:

Because your posts are always SO balanced.......

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
:lolol:

Because your posts are always SO balanced.......

Yeah ok you got me their, I can't deny I don't like Poyet. But then I have never liked bully's and people who can't take responsibility for their own actions and always look to shift the blame......I did start out liking him you know, lol.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004

BOOM.

If you have a board who can handle a bit of a hot head, you are on to a winner. We did for a while.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Yeah ok you got me their, I can't deny I don't like Poyet. But then I have never liked bully's and people who can't take responsibility for their own actions and always look to shift the blame......I did start out liking him you know, lol.

What a stinker of a post. Childish grammatical early on, then an apostrophe for no valid reason and, finally, a "lol" to close.

For me, those things alone discredit you completely. If the incoherent ramblings of your previous posts hadn't already done so.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Come on Kev, you never had a good word for Poyet. As for spending a fortune, whilst it was big money by Withdean standards, it wasn't by the standards if this division.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
What a stinker of a post. Childish grammatical early on, then an apostrophe for no valid reason and, finally, a "lol" to close.

For me, those things alone discredit you completely. If the incoherent ramblings of your previous posts hadn't already done so.

Sorry i'm not as academic as you. But then I probably left school before you were born, and have been grafting outside ever since....Like I said, I don't like bully's and there are many forms of bullying. Like picking holes in someone's short comings. Do you laugh at people with a speech impediment as well, or other's who don't match up to your impeccable standards???.....No wonder you loved Poyet.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Sorry i'm not as academic as you. But then I probably left school before you were born, and have been grafting outside ever since....Like I said, I don't like bully's and there are many forms of bullying. Like picking holes in someone's short comings. Do you laugh at people with a speech impediment as well, or other's who don't match up to your impeccable standards???.....No wonder you loved Poyet.

Honest question. When and why did you start hating poyet? I am genuinely interested.

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
Interestingly, you confess you are in the anti-Poyet camp, yet your attempts to introduce balance into my message fail to mention anything about Poyet's footballing side.
You focus entirely on his personality.

My message to the Sunderland faithful is that if you want to watch better and more successful football, then Gus Poyet is a damn good bet.
Nowhere have I suggested he will be the perfect employee whilst doing it.

Your message to the Sunderland faithful is "don't concern yourself with the football, but instead focus on how moody he can be".

I'm happy to have your message introduced in the interest of balance, but I somehow think that Sunderland fans will probably find my view on Poyet to be rather more important to them than yours.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Not happy with that NE!

:lolol: I even proof read it in fear. Poor effort. I blame the school system.

Don't worry about me Kev, I've been out there grafting for a while too. Not a fan of bullies either. Do you genuinely think of Poyet as a bully? Is that based on anything tangible?

I love (present tense) Poyet because of the job he did for Brighton and Hove Albion, and for the way he comes across in interviews and on TV. Not to mention how highly the majority of people who have met him, speak of him. He has a nasty streak, no question about it. Bit of an edge. I like that too.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Honest question. When and why did you start hating poyet? I am genuinely interested.

If you really wanted an honest answer, I would have to meet you over a pint and talk about it. Hate is a very strong word. I don't hate anyone(well there is someone but it's not Poyet)....I just think from what I have heard, from someone I have known for many a year, that basically he is not a very nice man. Unless your kissing his arse of course and blowing sunshine up his arse....I don't and won't go into details, but what we all saw with our own eyes over the last few weeks of his employment at the club, the mask was slipping and his true colours were shining through....The man is/was a dictator at this club and like all the great dictators over the years, he ended up shooting himself in the head...Anyone who crossed him, was a marked man from that day on....Why do you think Barber was bought in, in the first place??? To bring about his downfall and thank god he did.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
:lolol: I even proof read it in fear. Poor effort. I blame the school system.

Don't worry about me Kev, I've been out there grafting for a while too. Not a fan of bullies either. Do you genuinely think of Poyet as a bully? Is that based on anything tangible?

I love (present tense) Poyet because of the job he did for Brighton and Hove Albion, and for the way he comes across in interviews and on TV. Not to mention how highly the majority of people who have met him, speak of him. He has a nasty streak, no question about it. Bit of an edge. I like that too.

I'm not worried about you in the slightest...and now you have proved you like to pick on those less academic than yourself, i'm sure a lot more people are less worried about you...Disagree with people by all means, shoot their points down in flames, no problem.....But keyboard bullying,,,oh dear.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here