Poyet to Sunderland

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
He wont get the job, as they will ask him all about the shenanigans & comments he made about luis suarez, after that they will come up with the conclusion that he aint worth the risk.

End of story....

Until he is up for the next job of course.

This is Sunderland we are talking about. They appointed Di Canio with his history. Poyet's Suarez comments( although totally out of order and i'm sure prevented us signing certain players) are positively tame compared to Di Canio's past.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
We don't want to get to the stage where it's only acceptable to post an opinion on Gus if it's a positive one.

I feel betrayed and very let down by him. I'll leave it at that.

its on record that I have said more than a few times that I don't trust any of them ,the club or Gus football is a shite business and all who go into it must know this.
betrayed .....well yes by all of them

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Good spot and I'll hold my hand up to never having seen that. Would it be churlish to suggest that I rather liked his reply?

He said when asked if he would welcome the chance to manage Chelsea: "There is no pressure in giving you an answer.

"Obviously I am a legend over there. I'm aware that people value me very much as much as I value them. But what is going to happen in the future I don't know.

"One thing for sure is I love what I am doing at Watford. I love this club and the supporters and everybody.

"Now I want to give them a huge contribution and then we'll see. A lot of what happens in the future depends on the contribution I will be able to give to them. That is what I am focused on. I need to prove myself over here first."

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
We don't want to get to the stage where it's only acceptable to post an opinion on Gus if it's a positive one.

I feel betrayed and very let down by him. I'll leave it at that.

How very reasonable. I totally agree. I was a Gus fan, hope he goes somewhere else and does well, as long as it is not against us, appreciate others will have stronger feelings than me, but do actually feel let down ad disappointed.

BUT IT IS ALL IN THE PAST.... and I'm not shouting at you, Sparkie

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Good spot and I'll hold my hand up to never having seen that. Would it be churlish to suggest that I rather liked his reply?

He said when asked if he would welcome the chance to manage Chelsea: "There is no pressure in giving you an answer.

"Obviously I am a legend over there. I'm aware that people value me very much as much as I value them. But what is going to happen in the future I don't know.

"One thing for sure is I love what I am doing at Watford. I love this club and the supporters and everybody.

"Now I want to give them a huge contribution and then we'll see. A lot of what happens in the future depends on the contribution I will be able to give to them. That is what I am focused on. I need to prove myself over here first."

It tells me that if Zola had said that whilst managing us that you'd call him a disgraceful self-touter and that someone else you hadn't really read much about was the perfect gentleman. Tis silly really, isn't it. I don't know what world some people live in where they expect a manager answering a question as to whether they'd like to manage another club someday as they loved their time there as a player or assistant manager would answer said question NO BOLLOCKS TO THAT THIS IS EVERYTHING TO ME.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It tells me that if Zola had said that whilst managing us that you'd call him a disgraceful self-touter and that someone else you hadn't really read much about was the perfect gentleman. Tis silly really, isn't it. I don't know what world some people live in where they expect a manager answering a question as to whether they'd like to manage another club someday as they loved their time there as a player or assistant manager would answer said question NO BOLLOCKS TO THAT THIS IS EVERYTHING TO ME.

Fair points, if Zola has talked about it as much as Gus did I'd agree. I believe that this may have been a one off around the time Benitez was appointed? Have to say I don't ever recall Gus saying how much he loved the club and the fans though when answering the Chelsea and Leeds questions, certainly not in the last two years, maybe someone could put some more egg on my face. Kalimantan?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It seems odd to be pro Oscar but anti Gus.

Had Gus not ripped the old place down, pulled out the foundations, laid new better stronger foundations and built the ground floor, Oscar probably wouldn't even be here.

Even if he was, he'd have such a massive job to do nobody would be chuffed with his first 9 games.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It seems odd to be pro Oscar but anti Gus.

Had Gus not ripped the old place down, pulled out the foundations, laid new better stronger foundations and built the ground floor, Oscar probably wouldn't even be here.

Even if he was, he'd have such a massive job to do nobody would be chuffed with his first 9 games.

I wouldn't go that far, it was Bloom who wanted us to play the passing game and Gus was chosen as the right man for the job at the right time to implement these requirements.

If it hadn't been Poyet, someone else would have been chosen to fit the style of play Bloom required.

I don't think Bloom was intending the academy to teach hoof ball :lolol:

It is wrong for people to assume that we would not be where we are today if it wasn't for Gus.

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
Cheers for the link, very interesting :thumbsup:

And very depressing. More evidence that Paolo was absolutely right to try and instil some discipline and professionalism into the squad, albeit in a less confrontational style.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Hmmm. There is no way Oscar has an easier job than Gus did last season. IF (here's hoping) he gets us up, then it will be Oscar's good work. Not Gus' good work.

Oscar has an easier job because Gus Poyet took us out of League 1 and established us in the Championship with the backbone of a very good squad for this level.

If we go up it will be because Oscar has done a very job and been successful in his own right, with his style and his good work. The good job done by Gus is over, and this is Oscar's story now but the reality remains that Gus Poyet did a good job here.

He did NOT finish the job, which was and is reaching the Prem.

Reaching the Premier League was our aim and our intention bit we are not Leeds. We are not under some misguided impression it is somehow our right to play in the Premier League. We nearly earnt it, and we'll try again. If it doesn't happen again, so be it.

Based on that you could argue no manager has finished the job until he wins us the league.

Making the playoffs was an achievement, not par.

I have only quoted two of your posts in this thread to specifically agree with them, but there could be many more. We agree entirely on this one and I'm glad someone else is fighting this point. Along with Lt Mellotron. Good work lads.

So Gus would have contributed NOTHING to it at all? Even though Oscar doesn't actually buy our players....

Gus' legacy will be felt for a LONG time at Brighton and Hove Albion. That is our reality.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That won't happen straight away. To start with Sunderland will be a massive club and it will be an honour etc etc....Then give it a year(if he lasts that long) when he thinks his feet are under the table and all the old spill will start to come out.....For the record I think Sunderland will chew Poyet up and spit him out. I don't think he is cut out for the big league and certainly not in that powder keg. He can't work with a director of football for starters and all the top clubs have one these days... I said he would never take us up and he didn't and I have said he will never manage a top six club(time will tell).....I so hope he gets this job, it's unreal.

Excellent assessment.

If he has any initial success there, as well as his bank balance his ego will swell to such an extent, that he will start to openly flirt with London club job openings, loathing the commute from Orpington to the cold North East. But it will end on Sunderland's terms when he starts to politic through the media about transfer fee budgets, player wages budgets, and the usual Gus whinging stuff.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Will nobody think of Tanno.

The bloke was fookin freezing in sunny Sussex, what's he going to be like on the tip of the Arctic circle?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wouldn't go that far, it was Bloom who wanted us to play the passing game and Gus was chosen as the right man for the job at the right time to implement these requirements.

If it hadn't been Poyet, someone else would have been chosen to fit the style of play Bloom required.

I don't think Bloom was intending the academy to teach hoof ball :lolol:

It is wrong for people to assume that we would not be where we are today if it wasn't for Gus.
Yeah fair comment, it always comes back to TB, as it should.

Gus still had to successfully implement it, which he did do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports