Poyet to Sunderland

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The problem(s) for me is Gus Poyet. He messed up big time with the second leg of the playoffs. He, if rumours are true, turned up for the second leg against Palace 30 minutes before kick off. Not exactly professional if true and not surprising that the players appeared to be ill-prepared and not up for it.

Poyet blaming everybody but himself is what has angered so many. We should have beaten Palace over two legs, without a shadow of a doubt. Forget the goal that nearly was at Selhurst, fact is Gus blew it. With the squad he had available we should have gone up in second place. Instead, we lost in the playoffs.

Forgetting everything else, Poyet's post Palace defeat interview turned me from wanting him to stay and finish the job to wanting him gone straight away. He didn't give a damn about the club at that point and that is unforgivable. He may well be the reason we nearly got promoted. He is also the reason we didn't too. I hope he gets the Sunderland job so we can close the book on his era. He wasn't as great as some are making him out to have been, he wasn't as bad as the others say either. Personally I'm now pissed off with the man because HE cost us promotion after getting us so close.

I was one of many who didn't want him moving to another club, gradually became more and more frustrated at his less than subtle hints for other clubs to come and get him and now I'm glad he's gone. Thanks for the good you did Gus and bollocks to you for the rest.

Bingo.

All of the above....

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The problem(s) for me is Gus Poyet. He messed up big time with the second leg of the playoffs. He, if rumours are true, turned up for the second leg against Palace 30 minutes before kick off. Not exactly professional if true and not surprising that the players appeared to be ill-prepared and not up for it.

Poyet blaming everybody but himself is what has angered so many. We should have beaten Palace over two legs, without a shadow of a doubt. Forget the goal that nearly was at Selhurst, fact is Gus blew it. With the squad he had available we should have gone up in second place. Instead, we lost in the playoffs.

Forgetting everything else, Poyet's post Palace defeat interview turned me from wanting him to stay and finish the job to wanting him gone straight away. He didn't give a damn about the club at that point and that is unforgivable. He may well be the reason we nearly got promoted. He is also the reason we didn't too. I hope he gets the Sunderland job so we can close the book on his era. He wasn't as great as some are making him out to have been, he wasn't as bad as the others say either. Personally I'm now pissed off with the man because HE cost us promotion after getting us so close.

I was one of many who didn't want him moving to another club, gradually became more and more frustrated at his less than subtle hints for other clubs to come and get him and now I'm glad he's gone. Thanks for the good you did Gus and bollocks to you for the rest.

Good post.

Sums it up perfectly for me.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Someone from Sky Sports Italia (who seem to break loads of stories first for some reason - not sure why they're so well connected) says that Poyet is taking the Sunderland job

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Whats all this old bollocks about "sales teams" and "middle management" and "risk scores" ? Always makes me laugh when analogies / comparisons are drawn with other businesses.

Its a football club, not a regional sales office for a double glazing firm.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Whats all this old bollocks about "sales teams" and "middle management" and "risk scores" ? Always makes me laugh when analogies / comparisons are drawn with other businesses.

Its a football club, not a regional sales office for a double glazing firm.

You say that but Brendan Rodgers has gone very David Brent over the last year

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The problem being that BW hasn't said anything to prove he knows anything. I could easily say "I have an inside contact who says were signing a Bury striker with the Coke money" - would you believe me ? Of course not but it was true as were other transfer "rumours" I've posted ( see my posting history ). Difference is, I backed my claims of having a source with reality. BW hasn't.

The reality is in our club's board's actions to suspend, investigate, and then sack Gus. For gross misconduct. I know that's hard for you and a few other stragglers to grasp, but do try.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Did you ever read Mr Burns tirades about Ashley Barnes? He kept it up for over two years in a very similar fashion.

Oh please, there is no comparison.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Agree with much of what you say but am a bit surprised it took you so long to move on, especially as you seem so insightful. Surely the 'King was already dead.....etc' minutes after the second play off game when Gus looked completely unconcerned on the touchline and just about the only person associated with the club and many independent observers across football who could not understand his lack of emotion during that game - which was bizarre for such a passionate character. Clearly something was fundamentally wrong and I recall questioning that on here after the game.

I was very angry at the time that Gus appeared indifferent and had placed his personal agenda above the Club's at probably the most important point in its history for many years. Promotion to the Prem. wouldn't have done his CV any harm either, so it didn't make a lot of sense. I am curious to know the full truth of those few weeks and intrigued by all the speculation on NSC I cannot change what happened, Gus was not coming back so the sooner we moved on the better. The priority at athat time was already to get the Club and players to focus on preparing for this season ASAP.

Like many of us after years of riding the Albion rollercoaster I am no longer that surprised by events, although this one is up there. I support a football club - and not just one manager, especially one who was happy to publicly pronounce his interest in managing elsewhere, so the writing had already been on the wall for some time.

But out of adversity comes opportunity. It is far more important for me as a fan to have great faith in Tony Bloom for all he is doing for our Club and that he continues to innovate with a new flair-istic manager who is quietly repairing the damage and steadily taking us forward. Given a fit squad I am very optimistic that we will be contenders soon, so I'm feeling very optimistic. I also recognise that someday Oscar Garcia will move on, hopefully having served us well with dignity, class and will depart with our best wishes - but The Albion will still remain the no.1 priority.

That is a brilliant post. Still far, far too many on here hanging on to Gus' coat tails when they should be supporting their club (listen-up TLO and chums).

The reality is in our club's board's actions to suspend, investigate, and then sack Gus. For gross misconduct. I know that's hard for you and a few other stragglers to grasp, but do try.

And we can all see that - so what have you offered? Absolutely SFA so will you please go away and be tedious somewhere else.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Thank you for that - everyone knows that without ANY insider knowledge. YOU claim to have inside information of the details - you clearly don't.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The FACT being that Poyet gave Poyet the chance to finish 4th. What you conveniently ignore is that without his work in League 1, we wouldn't even have been in the Championship, let alone established at the top end. It shows you what a good job Gus did that we finish 4th in the second tier of English football and people like you are still banging a drum and insisting we should have done better.

You need to join the real world. Poyet did brilliantly with what he had, fact. Someone else might have done better, but far more would have done much worse. Oscar has a much easier task because of the work Gus did.

Rewrite history as much as you want, but it's a fact that we finished 4th last season.

Hmmm. There is no way Oscar has an easier job than Gus did last season. IF (here's hoping) he gets us up, then it will be Oscar's good work. Not Gus' good work.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Hmmm. There is no way Oscar has an easier job than Gus did last season. IF (here's hoping) he gets us up, then it will be Oscar's good work. Not Gus' good work.

So Gus would have contributed NOTHING to it at all? Even though Oscar doesn't actually buy our players....

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
And Gus Poyet won the league, established us in the Championship and then took us into the play offs. Bloom did his part, and Poyet did his. Whether it suits your agenda or not.

3 managers a year win promotion from League 1. It's tradition. Only one wins the league, that year it was Gus Poyet. Not luck, no fluke, hard work and being better than every other team in the league.

Didn't finish the job? Having taken over just outside the league 1 relegation zone, I would suggest by finishing 4th in the Championship he not only finished the job but made a damn good fist of it.

He did NOT finish the job, which was and is reaching the Prem.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
poyet 1/8 for the job now....hope he goes and fails.
My ONLY problem with this is it will mean Palace have someone competing with them for worst team...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports