Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet to Sunderland

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I was told by a club employee that we offered to double his wage but Murray wanted quadruple.

I was told by an ex teammate of Murray, that he was offered a deal and then the deal was withdrawn. When a new deal came along it was less than the previous offering. No wonder he went to that lot up the road.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I was told by a club employee that we offered to double his wage but Murray wanted quadruple.

I was told by a friend that had a conversation with Glenn just after he left, that he was on £7000 a week whilst playing in L1. Brighton got promoted and he was offered £9000 a week. He wanted £11000 a week, Brighton refused, Palace came in with a bigger offer than £11000, Brighton would not offer more than they had stated. So Glenn moved on. He also stated to my friend (at the time) that he wanted to stay at BHA and was gutted to leave.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I was told by a friend that had a conversation with Glenn just after he left, that he was on £7000 a week whilst playing in L1. Brighton got promoted and he was offered £9000 a week. He wanted £11000 a week, Brighton refused, Palace came in with a bigger offer than £11000, Brighton would not offer more than they had stated. So Glenn moved on. He also stated to my friend (at the time) that he wanted to stay at BHA and was gutted to leave.

But not gutted enough to accept £572k plus bonuses a year. My heart bleeds.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
I'm with you. I don't understand the bitterness and twisting of facts to suit prejudices. He did a great job with us. It finished and now we should all move on. There are quite a few on here who are still determined to paint things worse than they actually were.

Watching that interview again, this time properly, i've come to the conclusion everything was far worse than i originally thought. Thank the lord he's not in charge of this club anymore.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
But not gutted enough to accept £572k plus bonuses a year. My heart bleeds.

I got the impression that he felt the club did not really want him. Obviously all the players would have got pay rises after going from L1 to the Championship.
So with the Palace offer he would be about £5000 a week better off, food for thought when you've only got a few years left at the top.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The FACT is Bloom and Brighton and Hove Albion gave Poyet a chance to take this club to 4th in the championship. A FACT that he would have done well to remember.

And Gus Poyet won the league, established us in the Championship and then took us into the play offs. Bloom did his part, and Poyet did his. Whether it suits your agenda or not.

Eddie Howe has done a fine job at Bournemouth and even Yeovil manager Gary Johnson punched above his weight. Managers get promoted from league 1 every year and sometimes it sounds like Gus is the only one who ever did.

He did his job but couldn't finish it.

3 managers a year win promotion from League 1. It's tradition. Only one wins the league, that year it was Gus Poyet. Not luck, no fluke, hard work and being better than every other team in the league.

Didn't finish the job? Having taken over just outside the league 1 relegation zone, I would suggest by finishing 4th in the Championship he not only finished the job but made a damn good fist of it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
And Gus Poyet won the league, established us in the Championship and then took us into the play offs. Bloom did his part, and Poyet did his. Whether it suits your agenda or not.

3 managers a year win promotion from League 1. It's tradition. Only one wins the league, that year it was Gus Poyet. Not luck, no fluke, hard work and being better than every other team in the league.

Didn't finish the job? Having taken over just outside the league 1 relegation zone, I would suggest by finishing 4th in the Championship he not only finished the job but made a damn good fist of it.

:clap2:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I dont think he got Murray wrong either, his first season with Palace 6 goals, hardly worth 11grand a week

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
To correct the figures stated here. BHA paid Murray £3,250 per week. To put that in perspective, at the time, Chopra, Ambrose and dozens of other Championship strikers were paid well over £10,000 per week. But with the promotion virtually a done deal, Poyet didn't particularly rate Murray, so instead had his grand plan for the classy £3.25m fee CMS. So he quite happily let Murray go, with CP actually paying him £6,000 per week in that initial contract; not the far greater figures stated in this thread. Murray wanted to stay local.

18 months later on, Poyet tried to justify his gaff with the bizarre clap-trap that we had 2 budgets and he simply couldn't afford to pay the Murray wages regretfully. But at the same time he awarded far greater wage deals to the likes of Vicente, Buckley, CMS and Hoskins, as well as spending millions of Bloom's money on transfer fees.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing

This all over...

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
He is not the reason we lost at home to palace people forget that we played palace 72 hours earlier at selhurst & we should have had the tie sewn up in the first half of that game.

Something happened between the 2 playoff games for sure which has not been made public.

At the time I thought Gus had been tapped up by Leicester following their semi-final defeat to Watford on the Sunday, but I realise it had nothing to do with Leicester now.

But something had happened to provoke Gus' complete disinterest in the 2nd playoff game at the AMEX.

And then all the Project Poyet rubbish he was spouting in the post match interview about ceilings etc. , when we were at our lowest point.

His mind certainly was not on the albion for our biggest game in years. I find it hard to forgive him for that.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Not sure why this thread has turned into another Gus love in/bashing, fact is Gus was fantastic for us anyone who denies that would have to be stupid to say anything other than that and it was a hugely enjoyable time to be a supporter, he deserves a lot of credit for what he did with the club overall, however I blame him 90% for the loss to palace with awful tactics and lets be fair the way it all ended is always going to tarnish it for some but hey ho. He's a good manager but I think Sunderland is a extremely tough job to go straight into, would be a huge challenge for him. Wish him luck with whatever else he does but as childish as it sounds it's hard for me to forgive him for the way things ended and those dreadful tactics but hey ho.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Something happened between the 2 playoff games for sure which has not been made public.

At the time I thought Gus had been tapped up by Leicester following their semi-final defeat to Watford on the Sunday, but I realise it had nothing to do with Leicester now.

But something had happened to provoke Gus' complete disinterest in the 2nd playoff game at the AMEX.

And then all the Project Poyet rubbish he was spouting in the post match interview about ceilings etc. , when we were at our lowest point.

His mind certainly was not on the albion for our biggest game in years. I find it hard to forgive him for that.

You could well be right - IF this is the case though there would have been another party involved, hard therefore to say it was necessarily GP's 'fault' that he was not single-minded about the second playoff game.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Not sure why this thread has turned into another Gus love in/bashing, fact is Gus was fantastic for us anyone who denies that would have to be stupid to say anything other than that and it was a hugely enjoyable time to be a supporter, he deserves a lot of credit for what he did with the club overall, however I blame him 90% for the loss to palace with awful tactics and lets be fair the way it all ended is always going to tarnish it for some but hey ho. He's a good manager but I think Sunderland is a extremely tough job to go straight into, would be a huge challenge for him. Wish him luck with whatever else he does but as childish as it sounds it's hard for me to forgive him for the way things ended and those dreadful tactics but hey ho.

Sums it up perfectly for me

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here