Poyet to Sunderland

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
His win record is the second best in our history.
This is the sort of rubbish that fans are coming out with and rewriting history. Yes, we know it was over but don't write off our best league position in 30 years with nonsense like this.
Not rewriting history at all. Countless games at The Amex should have been much more enjoyable but weren't thanks to Gus's obsession with playing managerial chess...

Pattern A: Boredom for 70 minutes as neither team musters a shot on goal while Buckley, Lua Lua and Vicente sit on the bench. Then a couple of attacking subs and us actually trying to score for the last 20 minutes...

Pattern B: One of our very good players goes against the plan, has a shot and puts us ahead earlier than he should have done . Then a couple of defensive subs and we try to hang on.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not rewriting history at all. Countless games at The Amex should have been much more enjoyable but weren't thanks to Gus's obsession with playing managerial chess...

Pattern A: Boredom for 70 minutes as neither team musters a shot on goal while Buckley, Lua Lua and Vicente sit on the bench. Then a couple of attacking subs and us actually trying to score for the last 20 minutes...

Pattern B: One of our very good players goes against the plan, has a shot and puts us ahead earlier than he should have done . Then a couple of defensive subs and we try to hang on.

You must have been watching totally different games to me, and I didn't miss very many.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
You must have been watching totally different games to me, and I didn't miss very many.
I didn't miss many either.

Poyet's standard method at The Amex was to play 3 defensive midfield players and 1 up front and to retain possession however laboriously - with the aim of gradually grinding down the opposition, while not conceding, so that our attacking players would have a good chance of winning the game in the last quarter. There were several games when we barely mustered a worthwhile attempt on goal - not because the opposition were so good but because of Poyet's deliberate style of play.

At the same time Palace were starting their home games with 5 forwards...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Poyet's standard method at The Amex was to play 3 defensive midfield players and 1 up front and to retain possession however laboriously - with the aim of gradually grinding down the opposition, while not conceding, so that our attacking players would have a good chance of winning the game in the last quarter. There were several games when we barely mustered a worthwhile attempt on goal - not because the opposition were so good but because of Poyet's deliberate style of play.

And yet, we finished both seasons above them with more points.

You can still see stats from last seasons games on the club website.
First game we lost to Hull 1-0 but we had 18 shots at goal.
Second game 0-0 with Cardiff - 16 shots.
I can't be bothered to carry on.

Last edited:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

This is very true, it's like chalk and cheese compared to what we are seeing now.

I can actually enjoy the games under Oscar knowing that it won't be predictable or frustrating, which in affect looking back, it felt like we hit the roof with Poyet and there was no more to come from him.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells

Not forgetting that mostly the 1 up front, was a 5ft 10in striker who was crying out for a partner. Who when Poyet signed him for £3.25 million he was going to build the team around(his words not mine).....For the record I think Cms will be quality playing just off Ulloa, as Buckley has been doing this season in some games.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Was that down to tactics or because we had better players in every position except for Zaha?

See my edited post where I show the stats for shots on goal. I also think it is arrogant to say that every player was better except for Zaha. Speroni is a good keeper and there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth about Murray until Ulloa arrived in January.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells

You forgot Bristol City away- No shots,,,and a great many other away games where we barely mustered shot and are you seriously trying to suggest we were a better side than Palace???,,,,maybe we were, in fact I know we were, in fact we were good enough to go up automatic......oh, I can't be bothered to carry on.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Hull City 18
Cardiff City 16
Barnsley 11
Burnley 17
Sheff Wed 9
Watford 9
Millwall 13
Birmingham 8
Ipswich Town 14
Derby County 11
Middlesbrough 16
Leicester City 7
Blackpool 5
Leeds United 15
Peterborough 19
Wolves 15
Huddersfield 9
Bolton 20
Bristol City 6
Crystal Palace 7
Charlton 16
Nottm Forest 8
Millwall 10
Blackburn 10
Ipswich Town 6
Derby County 8
Birmingham 9
Blackburn 8
Sheff Wed 7
Hull City 8
Blackburn 17
Cardiff City 4
Burnley 6
Huddersfield 13
Bristol City 0
Bolton 21
Barnsley 8
Crystal Palace 11
Nottm Forest 4
Charlton 12
Leicester City 12
Middlesbrough 3
Peterborough 11
Blackpool 15
Leeds United 10
Wolves 5

So far this season:
Leeds 8
Derby County 10
Birmingham 8
Burnley 14
Millwall 14
Reading 20
QPR 5
Bolton 17

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Hull City 18
Cardiff City 16
Barnsley 11
Burnley 17
Sheff Wed 9
Watford 9
Millwall 13
Birmingham 8
Ipswich Town 14
Derby County 11
Middlesbrough 16
Leicester City 7
Blackpool 5
Leeds United 15
Peterborough 19
Wolves 15
Huddersfield 9
Bolton 20
Bristol City 6
Crystal Palace 7
Charlton 16
Nottm Forest 8
Millwall 10
Blackburn 10
Ipswich Town 6
Derby County 8
Birmingham 9
Blackburn 8
Sheff Wed 7
Hull City 8
Blackburn 17
Cardiff City 4
Burnley 6
Huddersfield 13
Bristol City 0
Bolton 21
Barnsley 8
Crystal Palace 11
Nottm Forest 4
Charlton 12
Leicester City 12
Middlesbrough 3
Peterborough 11
Blackpool 15
Leeds United 10
Wolves 5

So far this season:
Leeds 8
Derby County 10
Birmingham 8
Burnley 14
Millwall 14
Reading 20
QPR 5
Bolton 17

So there were 22 games last season were we didn't manage 10 or more shots(on and off target) all game??? That's pretty piss poor tbh.....Top homework by the way.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
So there were 22 games last season were we didn't manage 10 or more shots(on and off target) all game??? That's pretty piss poor tbh.....Top homework by the way.

If you want another pointless and stupid stat - in 44 out of 46 matches last season, we had FEWER throw ins than our opponents.

But we finished 4th, which matters. Everything else is semantics. We could have won the league if we won more matches. Ground breaking.

We finished 4th. All your Poyet whining is up there with The Major's Palace dribblings as the two most tedious and pathetic recurring themes on this forum. When you see Kevtherev has waded in you know he's spouting some hatred for something about Gus, and if you see The Major you know he's having a little cry about Palace.

The throw ins stat was made up. As is this one; we'd have won the league if Poyet wasn't manager last season.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
You forgot Bristol City away- No shots,,,and a great many other away games where we barely mustered shot and are you seriously trying to suggest we were a better side than Palace???,,,,maybe we were, in fact I know we were, in fact we were good enough to go up automatic......oh, I can't be bothered to carry on.

Still on your anti-Poyet soap box I see. It's about time you got some professional help for your unhealthy obsession, quite frankly. Hopefully you'll piss-off to the Mackam boards if he takes the job up there: & bore the shite out of all & sundry with your myopic, ignorant bollox. :wave:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

A great many other games? See Acker's post. This is what I mean about rewriting history. I give up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports