Poyet to Sunderland

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I'll be honest, I don't really care if Poyet goes there or not. I wish him well if he does, principally because right now, Sunderland are inconveniently occupying Palace's rightful slot at the foot of the league, and it's about time someone put that right.

Other than that, we've gone through the Poyet debate a million times over the summer. I was bored of all that by about the middle of June, and Saturday's result was, I think, the game that finally persuaded me I've got my Albion mojo back (and it really did take a while).

What will be, will be as far as Poyet's case is concerned. It's really not relevant any more, and Oscar deserves to be judged on his own merits, not those of his predecessor. Let's move on: the King is dead, long live the King.

Agree with much of what you say but am a bit surprised it took you so long to move on, especially as you seem so insightful. Surely the 'King was already dead.....etc' minutes after the second play off game when Gus looked completely unconcerned on the touchline and just about the only person associated with the club and many independent observers across football who could not understand his lack of emotion during that game - which was bizarre for such a passionate character. Clearly something was fundamentally wrong and I recall questioning that on here after the game.

I was very angry at the time that Gus appeared indifferent and had placed his personal agenda above the Club's at probably the most important point in its history for many years. Promotion to the Prem. wouldn't have done his CV any harm either, so it didn't make a lot of sense. I am curious to know the full truth of those few weeks and intrigued by all the speculation on NSC I cannot change what happened, Gus was not coming back so the sooner we moved on the better. The priority at athat time was already to get the Club and players to focus on preparing for this season ASAP.

Like many of us after years of riding the Albion rollercoaster I am no longer that surprised by events, although this one is up there. I support a football club - and not just one manager, especially one who was happy to publicly pronounce his interest in managing elsewhere, so the writing had already been on the wall for some time.

But out of adversity comes opportunity. It is far more important for me as a fan to have great faith in Tony Bloom for all he is doing for our Club and that he continues to innovate with a new flair-istic manager who is quietly repairing the damage and steadily taking us forward. Given a fit squad I am very optimistic that we will be contenders soon, so I'm feeling very optimistic. I also recognise that someday Oscar Garcia will move on, hopefully having served us well with dignity, class and will depart with our best wishes - but The Albion will still remain the no.1 priority.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
I consider that Gus realised that the financial situation was not good and he would have little opportunity to strengthen the side this season resulting
in his c.v. being damaged so he could not be blamed for trying to take his chances elsewhere.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
i dont understand why so many wish him well.

a) he didnt care about the palace 2nd leg (see his body language, time he turned up, comments afterwards).
b) stated weekly in a roundabout way he was too good and big for us.
c) tried to leave before palace at home.
d) now trying to sue the club (errr, take your [the fans] money)

but keep bumlicking him guys.

i hope he fails miserably and looks like a complete fool.

saying all this, he has many good managerial talents in football - but none of these outweigh a-d above.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I consider that Gus realised that the financial situation was not good and he would have little opportunity to strengthen the side this season resulting
in his c.v. being damaged so he could not be blamed for trying to take his chances elsewhere.

And why was the financial situation not good(in terms of playing budget),,,,,because he spent a frigging fortune. He spent £6 million just on strikers alone, probably more if you count Buckley as a striker. Not to mention the amount on signing on fee's wages....Vicente anyone???..How about Harley 1/2 a million??? I reckon Poyet spent well over £12 million in his time here.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven

a) he didnt care about the palace 2nd leg (see his body language, time he turned up, comments afterwards).

saying all this, he has many good managerial talents in football - but none of these outweigh a-d above.

He is not the reason we lost at home to palace people forget that we played palace 72 hours earlier at selhurst & we should have had the tie sewn up in the first half of that game.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What's laughable is people still can't see just how much damage Poyet done to this club, we are all suppose to support. I sometimes think some people support him more than they do the club....When he didn't get his own way, just look what happened....If anyone thinks that team he put out against Palace at the Amex in the play offs, was motivated and the right selection they are deluded and blinded by the bullshit....He was dead man walking before the end of the season. The board knew it, he knew it and now we all know it as well.....He wanted to walk when he wanted to and drop us in the shit.....As it turns out, we should have let him, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

What damage has he done to the club? We seem to be doing quite well as far as I can see.

And why was the financial situation not good(in terms of playing budget),,,,,because he spent a frigging fortune. He spent £6 million just on strikers alone, probably more if you count Buckley as a striker. Not to mention the amount on signing on fee's wages....Vicente anyone???..How about Harley 1/2 a million??? I reckon Poyet spent well over £12 million in his time here.

You do realise that some of our competitors spent more than £6 million on just one player? Oscar has exactly the same budget so we have been told.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

e) he inflicted some of the most tedious football imaginable merely because it allowed him to have an "identity" and play tactical chess - when anyone with half a brain could see we weren't attacking enough with the quality players we had...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Why don't they get Fabrizio Ravanelli. He's done his coaching badges and has management experience. He speaks Italian and knows the area.

He certainly has a love for the area and has a lot of love to give.

Rav loved Middlesbrough: 'Middlesbrough gave me so much love - and all I have for these fans is love. They must understand that.' He loved Marseille: 'I don't want to go back to England. I love Marseille: it is my own little paradise.' He loved Middlesbrough again: 'I'd love to go back. I want everyone at Middlesbrough to understand their town is like a dream to me. I have the love of those fans under my skin.' But Derby was The One. 'I love Derby County, I love the city and I love the fans. It's a beautiful place because its people are beautiful. I will put my heart forward for this club - and maybe I will play for free? Money is not important to me...' Now: after a fling with Dundee ('I love the style of football in Scotland... and I love Scotland') Rav's back at Perugia. 'I love Perugia,' he says. 'It's where my heart is.'

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
What damage has he done to the club? We seem to be doing quite well as far as I can see.

You do realise that some of our competitors spent more than £6 million on just one player? Oscar has exactly the same budget so we have been told.

If your paying the same players, the same money and you haven't sold anyone of note. Then you have got the same budget....No???

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Agree with much of what you say but am a bit surprised it took you so long to move on, especially as you seem so insightful. Surely the 'King was already dead.....etc' minutes after the second play off game when Gus looked completely unconcerned on the touchline and just about the only person associated with the club and many independent observers across football who could not understand his lack of emotion during that game - which was bizarre for such a passionate character. Clearly something was fundamentally wrong and I recall questioning that on here after the game.

I was very angry at the time that Gus appeared indifferent and had placed his personal agenda above the Club's at probably the most important point in its history for many years. Promotion to the Prem. wouldn't have done his CV any harm either, so it didn't make a lot of sense. I am curious to know the full truth of those few weeks and intrigued by all the speculation on NSC I cannot change what happened, Gus was not coming back so the sooner we moved on the better. The priority at athat time was already to get the Club and players to focus on preparing for this season ASAP.

Like many of us after years of riding the Albion rollercoaster I am no longer that surprised by events, although this one is up there. I support a football club - and not just one manager, especially one who was happy to publicly pronounce his interest in managing elsewhere, so the writing had already been on the wall for some time.

But out of adversity comes opportunity. It is far more important for me as a fan to have great faith in Tony Bloom for all he is doing for our Club and that he continues to innovate with a new flair-istic manager who is quietly repairing the damage and steadily taking us forward. Given a fit squad I am very optimistic that we will be contenders soon, so I'm feeling very optimistic. I also recognise that someday Oscar Garcia will move on, hopefully having served us well with dignity, class and will depart with our best wishes - but The Albion will still remain the no.1 priority.

It's taken me 20 minutes to read it, thank God it wasn't joined up writing. But glad I did, as I agree with it all. :)

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013

Amen, a **** with talent is still a ****.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I can't speak for Edna, but I too seemed to have lost my albion mojo. But it isn't because of Gus. It's not about him being fired - I never expect most players or managers to stick around forever. What he said in interviews never bothered me. How he acted then is irrelevant now he's gone - he isn't here to act like it again. His being gone now means for me, and I think a lot of us, the feelings and opinions of current things albion aren't centred around him. Yes there is also the disappointment of missing out in the play offs (irrespective of the reasons for that failure). But I'm not generally that effected by losses, I tend to have sense of perspective - it's just a game of football, and there are more seasons to play.

It might be the more corporate direction and the closed off nature of the club - the club are still here and the questions I have over their behaviour (as explained earlier in this thread) and what they've learned from the experience and put a bit of distance between me and my club (or maybe that has nothing to with it).

It might be that we're still getting to know oscar and the new players he is using, and that it will take time. When you get used to one style you know what to expect, you grow accustomed to what you're seeing, when someone comes in and changes things there's a progression for some fans as much as for the players. (one of my friends thinks this is the case for him)

It is probably that so much emotion was invested into the club over the last few seasons that I am just a bit spent and need a little while to recharge. (I think a bit of this and the last two paragraphs are close to true for me).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
e) he inflicted some of the most tedious football imaginable merely because it allowed him to have an "identity" and play tactical chess - when anyone with half a brain could see we weren't attacking enough with the quality players we had...

His win record is the second best in our history.
This is the sort of rubbish that fans are coming out with and rewriting history. Yes, we know it was over but don't write off our best league position in 30 years with nonsense like this.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
What's laughable is people still can't see just how much damage Poyet done to this club, we are all suppose to support. I sometimes think some people support him more than they do the club....When he didn't get his own way, just look what happened....If anyone thinks that team he put out against Palace at the Amex in the play offs, was motivated and the right selection they are deluded and blinded by the bullshit....He was dead man walking before the end of the season. The board knew it, he knew it and now we all know it as well.....He wanted to walk when he wanted to and drop us in the shit.....As it turns out, we should have let him, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Highest league position for THIRTY years - that's ALL that really counts. As I say, bitter and twisted.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
He is not the reason we lost at home to palace people forget that we played palace 72 hours earlier at selhurst & we should have had the tie sewn up in the first half of that game.

Oh shit - some common sense !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports