Poyet to Sunderland

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sunderland fans have a mixed response to him from meh.... to why its a sideways step.... nobody out and out mega pleased.

They are implying it was Gus who did the poo.....

A lot of fans in the wider footballing world do think that. The club could have done more to straighten out that situation than they did. There was a brief comment about an investigation proving nothing and the case was closed.
We all know it was the Palace coach driver who got caught short but Holloway made such a song & dance about it, then the leaked email was sent to the press and so the myth continues.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
A lot of fans in the wider footballing world do think that. The club could have done more to straighten out that situation than they did. There was a brief comment about an investigation proving nothing and the case was closed.
We all know it was the Palace coach driver who got caught short but Holloway made such a song & dance about it, then the leaked email was sent to the press and so the myth continues.

Do we know for a fact that it was the coach driver?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
That is the one fact (apart from Poyet ringing up with his resignation in March) that the club have revealed. Gus told the club it would be unfair of him to decide who to release and who to keep as he wasn't going to be here any longer.

Really? I must have missed that. Can you point me to where the club have confirmed it? (I'm not messing about!) I know it's received wisdom on here, but I didn't know the club have confirmed it.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
True. And you KNOW I can't share.

Which is actually rubbish - what EXACTLY is stopping you sharing ? There's no court order to prevent it and if it's true then you're not risking libel.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Refusing to do your job is generally viewed pretty poorly by employers in my experience. I have no idea whether the example that is commonly cited (retained list) is accurate or not.

B.W. does.

He says he was told something in confidence by one person with a vested interest. He's taken that word as gospel, without corroboration, and presented this opinion as fact - without revealing said fact(s). It's therefore, to him, irrefutable.

Anyone who challenges him gets an infantile response of being in a 'pro-Gus' camp, which one, doesn't exist, and two, to him is perjorative. It also has no value.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Indeed. What B.W has listed are fans displeasures with him.

Not quite backup material to gross misconduct.

All the grievances listed have literally no bearing on the charge upon which he was dismissed.

That's not to say he was dismissed incorrectly as I don't know what the gross misconduct charge related to, but when B.W said there was facts in the public domain I thought he meant something actually relevant to his sacking.

I never said that the facts in the public domain were directly relevant to the gross misconduct charge. Wishful thinking on your part.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Really? I must have missed that. Can you point me to where the club have confirmed it? (I'm not messing about!) I know it's received wisdom on here, but I didn't know the club have confirmed it.

Tony Bloom at the end of fans forum.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I can't move on with the threat that Gus may (he shouldn't, for his own sake) take legal action and therefore inflict (further) damage on the club. I have moved on in the sense that I see right through Gus and am glad to see the back of him.

Yet you keep telling everyone else to move on ! You really are full of BS.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Hope Poyet gets the job... Hope Poyet takes them down.... Hope we wave to him as we go up....

Who cares about Mr Poyet, it's all about Barney Rubble now.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Do we know for a fact that it was the coach driver?

Could well be, they seem to eat crap food and often down it very quickly. Then sat on their arse for a few hours builds up a head of steam. Also think who the passengers were, and it could be that sitting just to the side of Wurzel and listening to sh1t for a couple of hours, made the tipping out point inevitable.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I'm not a fan of Adrian Durham but agree with his views on this one. Top footballers don't exactly have a hard life, especially those in the Prem. Many (but not all) seem to be a law unto themselves, don't like being told a few home truths so need a firm hand. Trouble is they have too much power plus their agent can stir things up.

I was horrified to hear that Forest have (allegedly) taken Chalobah on loan and willing to pay the £35k per week that Chelsea have put him on. the kid is talented but has hardly made his way in the game. Maybe he will prove us wrong but how 'hungry' will he be on £35k per week at such a young age?

I do have some respect for Di Canio (not as a person) in trying to impose some standards, he just went about it the wrong way and player power was allowed to win. It is a shame that the Club did not back Di Canio especially if they brought him in to instil some discipline but then they have made a greater investment in the players than one manager who they can replace too easily. Plus the fans are more likely to show allegiance to the players so the manager often becomes the obvious fall guy.

In my experience there is too much indiscipline, too much 'something for nothing' attitude around and not enough personal responsibility in society these days - and many (but not all) top footballers set a very poor example to others.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, it's as old and as tedious as the wilful rewriting of history from the fervent anti-Gus camp.

His comments on the budget were as much a tool to rein in fan expectations and a two-fingers to greedy pre-ffp agents and players as they were a nudge to bloom for more cash. If he was that bothered or frustrated by the budget he'd have walked long ago.

And he never openly declared interest in another club - he just said "one day" he'd like to go back to chelsea for example. On the contrary, he turned down several clubs' interest during his tenure, and always said he wanted to get to the prem with bhafc and only a 'special' offer would persuade him to jump ship.

I back the club in their decision to fire him as they clearly felt they had grounds and the need to - but I'm not the only one getting pissed off with the outright lies about poyet being peddled about by keyboard warriors trying to give it the big "I was right". He did a great job, irrespective of how sourly it ended, and to suggest otherwise is frankly rubbish.

But who has criticized Gus' management record? Certainly not me. You're getting upset for no reason.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Refusing to do your job is generally viewed pretty poorly by employers in my experience. I have no idea whether the example that is commonly cited (retained list) is accurate or not.

It is.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I can't move on with the threat that Gus may (he shouldn't, for his own sake) take legal action and therefore inflict (further) damage on the club. I have moved on in the sense that I see right through Gus and am glad to see the back of him.

I assume you met him often enough at his place of work to make that expert judgement call. Or perhaps you didn't.

You haven't moved on at all. I think you'll find it's you that everyone can see through.

The rest of us, meanwhile, in order to make a judgement would wait for impartial, agreed evidence to be made public, not rely on the word of an interested (and therefore biased) party.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
PB isn't the only person involved in the whole situation, though. I suspect he would not have written and released the statement himself, he would have a communications officer for that, and the communications officer should be overseeing the twitter feed (or the person who does) and so someone in the communications department should have known and said something when PB came to them with the statement prior to its release. I should clarify, I can believe as an individual PB did not know when he made the final call (or relayed the final call from Bloom), but I do not believe nobody at the club knew or said anything, specifically nobody involved in either the hearings, or the process of releasing statements (as well as the communications department, the HR department should surely know when employees have outside appointments, even if not officially through the club). But like you say, we will have to agree to disagree.

Why release it while knowing he's on air? I don't know, I'm still trying to work out why they released the statement about gus refusing to turn up to a meeting due to legally disputed reasons. Perhaps to embarrass him, a lot of fans seem to be highly offended and upset that gus mentioned budgets or other vacancies and some suggest this embarrassed the club, turnaround is fair play, as they say.

Alternatively, maybe it's because we don't generally have higher ups that like to go on TV too frequently, so we got the statement entirely read out letting the world know that we are firing the guy who took us from relegation zone to league 2 up to play offs to premier league in 3.5 years because we have thoroughly investigated and found him guilty of gross misconduct, rather than just "brighton fire gus" with people throughout football, fans of other clubs etc questioning why and but very few bothering to search out the full statement, and neither Bloom nor barber have to go on tv and explain the club's actions.

But we're getting into speculation here, so it's best I leave this line of discussion for now.

Give it a rest with the Gus overkill empathy. You have just got it in your mind that it was a plot to embarrass him on TV and you are not able to grasp that we didn’t care if he was on TV or not.

More than that you are blind to any rational argument for reasons for this deadline and you feel that Gus needed to be mothered by the club.

I guess you will not read this post anyway.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I assume you met him often enough at his place of work to make that expert judgement call. Or perhaps you didn't.

You haven't moved on at all. I think you'll find it's you that everyone can see through.

The rest of us, meanwhile, in order to make a judgement would wait for impartial, agreed evidence to be made public, not rely on the word of an interested (and therefore biased) party.

Well said.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports