Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet to Sunderland

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I support the club and Oscar - I'm also interested in what ex-managers and players get up to. In addition I believe the situation was 50/50 with Gus and the club.

The difference is that YOU keep claiming to have moved on yet can't help commenting on threads that have Gus as the topic and always in a bitter way ( so you haven't moved on clearly - if you had then you wouldn't even bother opening the thread ).

I can't move on with the threat that Gus may (he shouldn't, for his own sake) take legal action and therefore inflict (further) damage on the club. I have moved on in the sense that I see right through Gus and am glad to see the back of him.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
What will be interesting, and complete quaility if it happens, is now he has a new job, will Brighton go after him for breach of contract and lost earnings!!! Now THAT WOULD be seriously ****ing funny!!!

And a distinct possibility I would have thought...

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Under Gus we played some of the most skillful, attractive and classy football I have ever witnessed in an Albion team. Levels that we, until Saturday second half, have only fleetingly touched upon since. Oscar may well in time prove to be the better manager, but for now I am not going to join in the revisionist historians of nsc and belittle what he achieved here.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I don't know. In the ordinary world, is a firm refused to accept a resignation and then fired someone just two months later, it could amount to constructive dismissal.

It depends what happened in the interim... (<-- meaningful ...)

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Um, as they have fired him, don't believe they can do anything other than perhaps hope and pray that he doesn't pursue his action against them. Whether he wins or loses that, the club will be paying out money that according to Paul barber, we cant afford
Dunno how it would work. The fired him as they felt they had no choice due to a serious breach of contract. If that contract had a buy out clause for Gus to leave the club, then surely the club could argue that Poyet manufactored his departure for this exact reason.

If not, any player/manager who has a buy out clause, only has to act a complete ****, get fired and that clause doesn't have to be honored??? I highly doubt it!

And for whats its worth, I very much doubt anyone at the club is praying Poyet doesn't take legal action. I think their biggest concern would be not to piss themselves laughing if he did!!! Stop believing the Poyet spin!!!! More chance of us signing Wayne Rooney in January, than Poyet taking us to court!!!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
None of which are sackable offences in their own right especially when he'd told the club he no longer wanted to manage us.

Indeed. What B.W has listed are fans displeasures with him.

Not quite backup material to gross misconduct.

All the grievances listed have literally no bearing on the charge upon which he was dismissed.

That's not to say he was dismissed incorrectly as I don't know what the gross misconduct charge related to, but when B.W said there was facts in the public domain I thought he meant something actually relevant to his sacking.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Um, as they have fired him, don't believe they can do anything other than perhaps hope and pray that he doesn't pursue his action against them. Whether he wins or loses that, the club will be paying out money that according to Paul barber, we cant afford

That's a shame. Thank you for the clarification ROSM.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Adrian Durham has written a piece on Di Canio's sacking and the Sunderland player's revolt in this article. I followed the link from Twitter so apologise if I upset anyone as it's in the Daily Mail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ester-derby--Adrian-Durham.html#ixzz2foKw2NHh

When Paolo Di Canio got the job at Sunderland I said in this column that he wasn’t appointed for football reasons.
He was brought in to upset some egos and kick some backsides.
Which is also the reason he’s been sacked.
Believe me, footballers get very upset if a new manager changes their routine. They cry about it to their mates, and before you know it ‘the lads’ are in it together, playing in such a way that the manager’s dismissal becomes inevitable.

I’ve seen it happen time and time again.
How about the international (not at Sunderland, I hasten to add) who hated new training schedules so much he told his new manager that he saw it as his job to get him the sack as soon as possible?

Or the well-respected player who told his new manager he wouldn’t adhere to the new defensive tactics because he preferred playing a different way? Both times – the manager was sacked after a matter of months.
I’ve read stories about players being upset about Di Canio’s rules on chatting with club staff. Forget whether the Italian was right or wrong to impose a rule like that. Instead, ask yourself this: should that affect player performance on a Saturday afternoon? Really?
Do you honestly believe it’s logical that players perform worse if they’re not allowed to chat to the tea lady? How unprofessional is that? Are they all big babies or what?
And apparently there is outrage at a Di Canio rule that youth team players couldn’t use the gym if a senior player was already in there. One of the biggest problems in English football is young players thinking they’ve ‘made it’ before they’ve achieved anything in the game. People long for the days of apprentices cleaning boots and showing respect to management and senior pros. Yet this rule brought in by di Canio to keep young players’ feet on the ground has been criticised.
Don’t feel sorry for the players at Sunderland. They’re well-paid, and they play football all day. Life wasn’t so unbearable for them.
They were given a manager who asked difficult questions of them. They couldn’t be bothered to work harder, so they contacted the board and got him the sack.
They preferred the old ways of no demands, no expectations, and no achievement. Remember this was a group of players who couldn’t be bothered to do their jobs properly for a man like Martin O’Neill.
The fans might get all excited if they beat League One Peterborough in the Cup tonight, but it’s a game that should be comfortable for any Premier League side. The fans deserve more than a routine cup win. Sunderland is a club that has been mediocre or worse for years and years.

The players have got their way, so they’d better start producing something decent. Until they do, the fans should treat the players with the contempt they deserve – they were unprofessional, they under-performed, lost games, and eventually forced the manager out.
Di Canio wasn’t perfect, and I can’t see him managing in the Premier League again. His strict disciplined regime didn’t go down well with players who prefer an easy life. Had they embraced his methods, Sunderland might have been successful – we will never know.
The sad state of the Premier League these days means managers have to be nice to players or you lose the dressing room and the players get you the sack.
Speaking to Swindon players about Di Canio, they tell me they were so hungry for success they were ready to go along with what he wanted.
That tells you all you need to know about the hunger of the Sunderland players.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
None of which are sackable offences in their own right especially when he'd told the club he no longer wanted to manage us.

I agree, apart from maybe the refusing to do your job bit...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Under Gus we played some of the most skillful, attractive and classy football I have ever witnessed in an Albion team. Levels that we, until Saturday second half, have only fleetingly touched upon since. Oscar may well in time prove to be the better manager, but for now I am not going to join in the revisionist historians of nsc and belittle what he achieved here.

May have missed it but has anyone on this thread suggest that Gus did not do the business on the field?

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
What again!? Seriously! Well, let's start with Gus' refusal to do his job with the retained list. His CONSTANT moans about budget. His CONSTANT flirting with other clubs. His ridiculous post-match comments for the home leg of the playoffs. I could go on, but this really is old, old ground.

Yes, it's as old and as tedious as the wilful rewriting of history from the fervent anti-Gus camp.

His comments on the budget were as much a tool to rein in fan expectations and a two-fingers to greedy pre-ffp agents and players as they were a nudge to bloom for more cash. If he was that bothered or frustrated by the budget he'd have walked long ago.

And he never openly declared interest in another club - he just said "one day" he'd like to go back to chelsea for example. On the contrary, he turned down several clubs' interest during his tenure, and always said he wanted to get to the prem with bhafc and only a 'special' offer would persuade him to jump ship.

I back the club in their decision to fire him as they clearly felt they had grounds and the need to - but I'm not the only one getting pissed off with the outright lies about poyet being peddled about by keyboard warriors trying to give it the big "I was right". He did a great job, irrespective of how sourly it ended, and to suggest otherwise is frankly rubbish.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I agree, apart from maybe the refusing to do your job bit...

Refusing to do your job is generally viewed pretty poorly by employers in my experience. I have no idea whether the example that is commonly cited (retained list) is accurate or not.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

But some of us recognize Gus' talents as a manager, but realize he was appalling at handling the media...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
That's quite possibly true, but whoever that person is won't have been involved in the negotiations with Gus and his advisers. It's quite possible for someone employed at the club to have seen the twitter comments but not have known the negotiation timescales, still less any deadlines that may or may not have been given.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree about whether PB knew that Gus was on TV before the press release announcing his departure. Partly due the reasons I have cited (though they are nothing more than speculation), but also because the club both before and after have been at pains to keep the moral and legal high ground. It was such an own-goal to release the news at 8pm when, as you say, they could just as easily have released it at 11pm, that I'm inclined to think that the people directly involved truly didn't know.

Can I ask what motivation PB could have to gift such a wonderful opportunity to Gus and the BBC? It just doesn't make sense. I'm firmly in the "cock-up due to ignorance" camp rather than the conspiracy camp.

PB isn't the only person involved in the whole situation, though. I suspect he would not have written and released the statement himself, he would have a communications officer for that, and the communications officer should be overseeing the twitter feed (or the person who does) and so someone in the communications department should have known and said something when PB came to them with the statement prior to its release. I should clarify, I can believe as an individual PB did not know when he made the final call (or relayed the final call from Bloom), but I do not believe nobody at the club knew or said anything, specifically nobody involved in either the hearings, or the process of releasing statements (as well as the communications department, the HR department should surely know when employees have outside appointments, even if not officially through the club). But like you say, we will have to agree to disagree.

Why release it while knowing he's on air? I don't know, I'm still trying to work out why they released the statement about gus refusing to turn up to a meeting due to legally disputed reasons. Perhaps to embarrass him, a lot of fans seem to be highly offended and upset that gus mentioned budgets or other vacancies and some suggest this embarrassed the club, turnaround is fair play, as they say.

Alternatively, maybe it's because we don't generally have higher ups that like to go on TV too frequently, so we got the statement entirely read out letting the world know that we are firing the guy who took us from relegation zone to league 2 up to play offs to premier league in 3.5 years because we have thoroughly investigated and found him guilty of gross misconduct, rather than just "brighton fire gus" with people throughout football, fans of other clubs etc questioning why and but very few bothering to search out the full statement, and neither Bloom nor barber have to go on tv and explain the club's actions.

But we're getting into speculation here, so it's best I leave this line of discussion for now.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Sunderland fans have a mixed response to him from meh.... to why its a sideways step.... nobody out and out mega pleased.

They are implying it was Gus who did the poo.....

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/thread...-whisper-about-your-new-manager.814835/page-5

Geronimo said: ↑
Ron Atkinson - nailed on.

That'll cause a stir
:lol::lol::lol::lol: of epic proportions aye, think he's been out of the game too long though ;)
rocky said: ↑
get ya rat oot
Roland ? :lol: he'd make a shit manager anarl ;)
barbieshellsaysFTM, 11 minutes ago #81
cluffy
cluffy
Striker
T_Bone said: ↑
Calm Down ffs it's only an interview........... if you believe these clowns at all.
this is true.
cluffy, 8 minutes ago #82
KarenDent likes this.
GBSAFC
GBSAFC
Winger
Zola very much in the frame
don't believe anything you've read so far
GBSAFC, 8 minutes ago #83
KarenDent likes this.
Sebastien
Sebastien
Winger
Relax, its talksport. It's the 'Moose' and his sources (the same sources that said James Milner was signing for SAFC)
Sebastien, 6 minutes ago #84
KarenDent
KarenDent
Winger
GBSAFC said: ↑
Zola very much in the frame
don't believe anything you've read so far

Cool
KarenDent, 6 minutes ago #85
BumbleBee
BumbleBee
Full Back
BumbleBee said: ↑
If it's happened this quick it must be Poyet.
Ta - da!!!!!!
BumbleBee, 5 minutes ago #86
Alfa
Alfa
Goalkeeper
It would serve our shower right if it was Poyet and he immediately instigated three training sessions a day and banned not only Ketchup but HP as well.
Alfa, 4 minutes ago #87
GBSAFC likes this.
Seaburn ftm
Seaburn ftm
Full Back
Alfa said: ↑
It would serve our shower right if it was Poyet and he immediately instigated three training sessions a day and banned not only Ketchup but HP as well.
Sauce?
Seaburn ftm, 2 minutes ago #88
andrewftm
andrewftm
Central Defender
"poogate" could linger around the club like a bad smell!

maybe we should write into his contract that the only place he's allowed to poop is on pardews living room floor!

Poyet
rocky, 20 minutes ago #65
WillD
WillD
Striker
Its Gus
WillD, 20 minutes ago #66
KarenDent
KarenDent
Winger
rocky said: ↑
Poyet

pleae no
KarenDent, 20 minutes ago #67
Plank
Plank
Full Back
POYET MOTHER****ERS!!!!!!!11111111111111111
Plank, 19 minutes ago #68
WillD
WillD
Striker
Wonder when the shit will hit the fan?
WillD, 19 minutes ago #69
JeffM
JeffM
Goalkeeper
Happy here
JeffM, 18 minutes ago #70
rocky
rocky
Striker
http://talksport.com/football/poyet-set-succeed-di-canio-sunderland-boss-13092461429
rocky, 17 minutes ago #71
safcman73
safcman73
Central Defender
FFS out of the frying pan and into the fire comes to mind what the **** are they thinking
safcman73, 17 minutes ago #72
palm 1
palm 1
Full Back
Poyet will do for me.
palm 1, 17 minutes ago #73
Steeeeeeed
Steeeeeeed
Central Defender
Sideways step
Steeeeeeed, 17 minutes ago #74
Mr Redknapp
Mr Redknapp
Striker
Steeeeeeed said: ↑
Sideways step
very similar personality, does not make any sense if he gets the job.
Mr Redknapp, 16 minutes ago #75
Pell likes this.
T_Bone
T_Bone
Striker
Calm Down ffs it's only an interview........... if you believe these clowns at all.
T_Bone, 15 minutes ago #76
Pepe
Pepe
Striker
Less of a knob, couldn't get a team out of The Championship with an excellent budget.

I also, embarrassingly, thought he was Argentinean, once.
Pepe, 15 minutes ago #77
sad-eyed prophet
sad-eyed prophet
Midfield
Salem Street South said: ↑
Cobblers.
Not ****in'Aidy Boothroyd?
sad-eyed prophet, 15 minutes ago #78
Notts Mackem
Notts Mackem
Winger
I hope he doesn't land us in the shit. Coming from Brighton he probably thinks Sunderland is a bit of a dump. I wonder if he brings his own stool with him.

Poo.
Notts Mackem, 15 minutes ago #79
GBSAFC
GBSAFC
Winger
has pards not ruled himself out.
gutted if he hasnt

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Refusing to do your job is generally viewed pretty poorly by employers in my experience. I have no idea whether the example that is commonly cited (retained list) is accurate or not.

That is the one fact (apart from Poyet ringing up with his resignation in March) that the club have revealed. Gus told the club it would be unfair of him to decide who to release and who to keep as he wasn't going to be here any longer.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Yes but is there a limitation on when he can bring the action about, my understanding is that in many places in law you can only bring legal action a few months a most from when you have faced wrong doing. I don't know if that extends to employment law.

6 years

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What will be interesting, and complete quaility if it happens, is now he has a new job, will Brighton go after him for breach of contract and lost earnings!!! Now THAT WOULD be seriously ****ing funny!!!

Can we assume if they don't it's because they know they'd lose?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here