Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet to Sunderland

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Jobs his appartently. Going to be announced shortly.

You would have thought Sunderland would have learnt. More fool them.

No doubt he will turn them around in the short term. Long term, not a chance!! He is so tactically inept, premiership managers will tear his tactics apart. Can wait for him to start!! This is going to be fun to watch!!!

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
What will be interesting, and complete quaility if it happens, is now he has a new job, will Brighton go after him for breach of contract and lost earnings!!! Now THAT WOULD be seriously ****ing funny!!!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Jobs his appartently. Going to be announced shortly.

You would have thought Sunderland would have learnt. More fool them.

No doubt he will turn them around in the short term. Long term, not a chance!! He is so tactically inept, premiership managers will tear his tactics apart. Can wait for him to start!! This is going to be fun to watch!!!

You may not like him as a person but you can't criticise his abilities. He has the second best win ratio in the history of the Albion. I hope he does well.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Gus or his advisers could have told them, unofficially without recording the communication to back up their claims or they already had sympathy so there was no need, but I do not concede that as the only way they know. As I just posted, their official twitter feed follows several people who mentioned it a few days in advance.

They are a football club, football is their business. They should take an interest in any televised game.

They air sports channels in their stadium, it's not unreasonable to assume the club has someone responsible for keeping an eye on sports listings.

That's quite possibly true, but whoever that person is won't have been involved in the negotiations with Gus and his advisers. It's quite possible for someone employed at the club to have seen the twitter comments but not have known the negotiation timescales, still less any deadlines that may or may not have been given.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree about whether PB knew that Gus was on TV before the press release announcing his departure. Partly due the reasons I have cited (though they are nothing more than speculation), but also because the club both before and after have been at pains to keep the moral and legal high ground. It was such an own-goal to release the news at 8pm when, as you say, they could just as easily have released it at 11pm, that I'm inclined to think that the people directly involved truly didn't know.

Can I ask what motivation PB could have to gift such a wonderful opportunity to Gus and the BBC? It just doesn't make sense. I'm firmly in the "cock-up due to ignorance" camp rather than the conspiracy camp.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Gus tried to resign in March when Tony Bloom refused to accept it.

Oh right, so wanting to leave a club two months before the season finishes when we are sitting pretty was admirable of Gus?

His wanting to leave phone call at the time was more about an attempt to pull strings to his own advantage. I have never heard of a failed resignation he obviously didn't try hard enough, you either offer your resignation in writing and it is either accepted or declined, or you just resign in writing and go.

You don’t call your boss and say “If I could leave tomorrow I would”.

Gus was clearly playing games with the club whilst cashing in a near £3k a day for Blooms discomfort.

It was quite right for Gus to finish the season here, but his premature badly calculated verbal phone request only initiated a search for a new manager. If Bloom did anything different to finding a replacement after that phone call he would have been naïve to have not put the wheels in motion.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
You may not like him as a person but you can't criticise his abilities. He has the second best win ratio in the history of the Albion. I hope he does well.
Oh I can, and do.

Given with what he had to work with, and given how was was unable to influence a game tactically if the other sides tactics stopped us playing (far weaker sides in comparison to us, than Sunderland are going to face like for like in the premiership), gives me more than enough ammo to criticise his abilities as a manager. Not to mention how he conducted himself. I think its out of the frying pan into the fire for Sunderland, a crazy choice for them!

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
As I said earlier Paul Barber has admitted that the club had no idea that Gus was on television that night.

I believe that. It was definitely cock up rather than conspiracy. Now as to wheyher they should have known........

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
People in football know why Poyet was sacked but football is like the masons, they keep schtum and look after themselves. I have read that the Bloom family including Tony is very very well respected in boards up and down the country. It wouldn't matter if other chairman knew the specifics but just that a Bloom had suspended, investigated then fired Gus is enough. Actions speak louder than words and dont think people dont know what gus is like. If he gets hired its because they want him, good points and bad.

I think there is much to what you say about the respect for the Bloom family across many other football boardrooms and on looking Chairmen fancying Gus but thinking if we saw fit to sack him after a formal investigation process then their own alarm bells might well be ringing.

On the other hand I still think there are Chairmen out there who will disregard the off pitch stuff and just take a punt on appointing a manager who they think will do a good footballing job. Even so they might just put Gus under closer reins, especially having had their fingers burnt with Di Canio. Will be interesting to see what happens.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Can you list the facts.

Not the rumours. The actual facts.

You'd be doing me a favour.

What again!? Seriously! Well, let's start with Gus' refusal to do his job with the retained list. His CONSTANT moans about budget. His CONSTANT flirting with other clubs. His ridiculous post-match comments for the home leg of the playoffs. I could go on, but this really is old, old ground.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
What will be interesting, and complete quaility if it happens, is now he has a new job, will Brighton go after him for breach of contract and lost earnings!!! Now THAT WOULD be seriously ****ing funny!!!

Um, as they have fired him, don't believe they can do anything other than perhaps hope and pray that he doesn't pursue his action against them. Whether he wins or loses that, the club will be paying out money that according to Paul barber, we cant afford

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What again!? Seriously! Well, let's start with Gus' refusal to do his job with the retained list. His CONSTANT moans about budget. His CONSTANT flirting with other clubs. His ridiculous post-match comments for the home leg of the playoffs. I could go on, but this really is old, old ground.

None of which are sackable offences in their own right especially when he'd told the club he no longer wanted to manage us.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Chairmen like results, and are not that bothered about a manager's character to a certain extent.

And here I agree with you. I really would NOT be surprised if Gus was offered the Sunderland job.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I didn't like Poyet's character or his tactics, I can appreciate what he did for the Club, but I also bear in mind the fact that he was in an extremely priviliged position.

Good luck to him at Sunderland how he gets on there will certainly be interesting and hopefully this ends any potential issues between him and BHAFC.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here