Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet to Sunderland

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Nevertheless, he sat in front of a room of about 50 people and said that.
The meeting is minuted in the August copy of the Albion Almanac which I will email to anyone who would like a copy. Pm me an email address.

Don't get me wrong, I totally believe he said it, I think I heard it on the radio, if not I've seen it covered here before. I just don't believe they didn't know. Their twitter feed follows plenty of people who mentioned it, someone in the communications department at the club knew, I don't believe they are that inept.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Apparently poyet was at Sunderland today just for a chat, hawksbee and jacobs have some news that they are going to announce as soon as they can, they said they have heared a whisper, but then it is talksport.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Quote Originally Posted by symyjym: Are you saying that Gus should have chosen the deadline

This has to be one of the weakest arguments I have come across.

Read my other posts that give his option which says: "It could have quite easily have been him breaking the news on the BBC that he has left our club amicably and under mutual consent."

Answer this: Why did Gus not take his opportunity to resign with dignity before it even got to Sunday?

Gus tried to resign in March when Tony Bloom refused to accept it.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Talkshite have just said that they have heard a little whisper on the new Sunderland manager and will announce it shortly.... I am also sure Gus was supposed to be on talkshite today.... anyone ?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Do you REALLY believe that?

I'm more inclined to believe he was given a deadline and let it lapse, but who knows.

Me too. Gus was very careful with his wording on this too (just like the club and their infamous 'pending' comment).

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
I'm a bit upset that you haven't thanked me for finding the article for you.

You know, the one where Gus said he wants the truth to come out.

Just a simple thanks would do.

As I have previously said on this thread, Gus has said he wants to go to court so the truth will come out. As it stands, legal proceedings haven't started as far as we are. Everybody now thinks Gus is innocent because he has publicly stated he wants the truth to come out.

But if the truth was to come out, a lot of people in the footballing world would loose respect for Gus. If I was him, I wouldn't want the truth to come out.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
If as claimed that negotiations had been going on between both parties over that weekend I find it hard to understand why Poyet thought it a good idea to appear on national TV rather than focus on agreeing an outcome with his employer. I don't see why The Albion as his employer should suspend its efforts to resolve the situation over that weekend (hours before coaching staff and players were due to report for pre-season) just because Poyet undertook a personal TV commitment and turned his mobile off. Yet didn't Poyet and the LMA also publicly complain about how long it was taking to resolve? - in which case I would expect their priority should be to remain behind locked doors in the proverbial smoke filled room thrashing out an agreement over beer and sandwiches.

I think it was mischievous of Poyet to go on TV and make out he did not know of his sacking, clearly he knew which way the wind was blowing and certainly that he would be asked about his situation on air. OK The Albion look naïve in their announcement appearing to coincide with his TV appearance thereby gifting Poyet a golden PR opportunity and the BBC a 'scoop'. But if the Club were anxious to go public on his sacking before Monday AM then what were they supposed to do? We forget that there is little sentiment in football management even though The Albion were trying to deal with the matter in a formal way.

Most of this is public domain but hopefully the full detail will come out in the wash someday. I suspect both parties would like to have handled that day differently in hindsight.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You state facts and yet the club haven't released any facts apart from what Barber said at the AGM and Bloom said at the Fans Forum. Please do not twist my words. Your posts are twisting opinions in just the same way that you have just twisted my post.

There are plenty of facts about Gus' behavior towards the end of his tenure in the public domain. They are enough for me and many others to see his many character flaws. Shame you can't.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The only way they could reasonably have known is if Gus or his representatives told them. Surely you're not suggesting that they should keep an eye on the TV listings on the off-chance he was appearing? If, as you suggest, PB has lied about not knowing that Gus was on TV (and, for the record, I believe him) and you concede that the only way he could have known is if Gus had told him, why hasn't Gus or his representatives publicly said "Yes, you did. We told you."?

The most likely scenario to me is that there was a deadline imposed by the club, they didn't know about the TV appearance, the deadline was reached and they went to press shortly after the deadline.

Gus or his advisers could have told them, unofficially without recording the communication to back up their claims or they already had sympathy so there was no need, but I do not concede that as the only way they know. As I just posted, their official twitter feed follows several people who mentioned it a few days in advance.

They are a football club, football is their business. They should take an interest in any televised game.

They air sports channels in their stadium, it's not unreasonable to assume the club has someone responsible for keeping an eye on sports listings.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There are plenty of facts about Gus' behavior towards the end of his tenure in the public domain. They are enough for me and many others to see his many character flaws. Shame you can't.

Ah, but you know something that we don't know, so until we know what you know, we're in the dark.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm a bit upset that you haven't thanked me for finding the article for you.

You know, the one where Gus said he wants the truth to come out.

Just a simple thanks would do.

Apologies. Thank you for that, although I was aware of Gus' comments therein. Just don't believe him.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
As I have previously said on this thread, Gus has said he wants to go to court so the truth will come out. As it stands, legal proceedings haven't started as far as we are. Everybody now thinks Gus is innocent because he has publicly stated he wants the truth to come out.

But if the truth was to come out, a lot of people in the footballing world would loose respect for Gus. If I was him, I wouldn't want the truth to come out.

People in football know why Poyet was sacked but football is like the masons, they keep schtum and look after themselves. I have read that the Bloom family including Tony is very very well respected in boards up and down the country. It wouldn't matter if other chairman knew the specifics but just that a Bloom had suspended, investigated then fired Gus is enough. Actions speak louder than words and dont think people dont know what gus is like. If he gets hired its because they want him, good points and bad.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
People in football know why Poyet was sacked but football is like the masons, they keep schtum and look after themselves. I have read that the Bloom family including Tony is very very well respected in boards up and down the country. It wouldn't matter if other chairman knew the specifics but just that a Bloom had suspended, investigated then fired Gus is enough. Actions speak louder than words and dont think people dont know what gus is like. If he gets hired its because they want him, good points and bad.

Chairmen like results, and are not that bothered about a manager's character to a certain extent.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I certainly have. I'm concentrating on supporting the club and its new manager, rather than the big-mouthed fool who tried (and failed) to put himself first, and the club a very distant second. Maybe you and your cronies should too?

I support the club and Oscar - I'm also interested in what ex-managers and players get up to. In addition I believe the situation was 50/50 with Gus and the club.

The difference is that YOU keep claiming to have moved on yet can't help commenting on threads that have Gus as the topic and always in a bitter way ( so you haven't moved on clearly - if you had then you wouldn't even bother opening the thread ).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here