Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet to Sunderland

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Is there actually any evidence that he has taken us to court, surely we would know about it? Also surely there is some time limitation as to when he must give up all threat of legal action, he can't just swan around on various shows threatening it, either needs to admit he's not going to court or put his money where his mouth is, well at least now Bloom doesn't have to stump up the money for his ego anymore.

I have used this example on other threads but it took Jim Magilton 3 years to win his case against Ipswich,the LMA were backing him as they are Poyet.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I hope Poyet gets the Sunderland job and then we can see what a good manager he is under stress in a relegation season long battle.

To be fair, Gus did pretty well when we were flirting with relegation when he joined us (admittedly in league 1)

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I have used this example on other threads but it took Jim Magilton 3 years to win his case against Ipswich,the LMA were backing him as they are Poyet.

Yes but is there a limitation on when he can bring the action about, my understanding is that in many places in law you can only bring legal action a few months a most from when you have faced wrong doing. I don't know if that extends to employment law.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Are you saying that Gus should have chosen the deadline???

They were negotiating. That means give and take. The club and gus could have come together and agreed a more suitable deadline

club: before we start negotiating, we are setting a deadline 8pm sunday evening
gus: I have a pre-arranged appearance on bbc, my last appearance was cancelled, it is unfair on the bbc to keep cancelling on them
club: as a show of good will let's have a look, we really need this sorted before preseason,
gus: I'd rather not go on tv and be questioned about being sacked
club: a deadline of 7pm with a moratorium on press release until you are off air?
or
club: Well, it's either 8pm or 7pm, if you don't want to face questons about being sacked, I suggest we come to a deal and you drop x requirement, and maybe you can put a happier face on it on TV.

The players were due to be back in and working on Monday morning, Blooms club statement on Tuesday, and Oscar was arriving on Thursday.

The deadline was there for no other reason than the season was starting the following morning.

This is a nonsense argument. What did the club do between 8pm sunday evening and, say 11pm sunday evening that could not wait? What did they do through the night? There was plenty of leeway to avoid officially sacking him between 7.30pm and 11pm that the show was on air. And even if they had set a deadline there is absolutely no reason they couldn't delay the club statement until 11pm.

Gus could have broken the news on BBC with a different more headline friendly scenario.

How? He thought they were still negotiating.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
They were negotiating. That means give and take. The club and gus could have come together and agreed a more suitable deadline

gus: I have a pre-arranged appearance on bbc, my last appearance was cancelled, it is unfair on the bbc to keep cancelling on them
club: as a show of good will let's have a look, we really need this sorted before preseason,
club: a deadline of 7pm with a moratorium on press release until you are off air?
or
club: Well, it's either 8pm or 7pm, if you don't want to face questons about being sacked, I suggest we come to a deal and you drop x requirement, and maybe you can put a happier face on it on TV.

This is a nonsense argument. What did the club do between 8pm sunday evening and, say 11pm sunday evening that could not wait? What did they do through the night? There was plenty of leeway to avoid officially sacking him between 7.30pm and 11pm that the show was on air. And even if they had set a deadline there is absolutely no reason they couldn't delay the club statement until 11pm.

As I said earlier Paul Barber has admitted that the club had no idea that Gus was on television that night.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm with you. I don't understand the bitterness and recounting of facts to highlight the truth. He did a great job with us. It finished and now we should all move on. There are quite a few on here who are still determined to paint things exactly as they actually were.

Corrected for you.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

How? He though they were still negotiating

Do you REALLY believe that?

I'm more inclined to believe he was given a deadline and let it lapse, but who knows.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
As I said earlier Paul Barber has admitted that the club had no idea that Gus was on television that night.

And I do not believe that. As a football club in the middle of negotiations with his representatives, they would have to be embarrassingly inept not to know he was on a nationally televised football show, and/or should have had the grace to explain they were unaware of his TV appearance in their follow up press release instead of (or as well as) suggesting he was lying.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Corrected for you.

You state facts and yet the club haven't released any facts apart from what Barber said at the AGM and Bloom said at the Fans Forum. Please do not twist my words. Your posts are twisting opinions in just the same way that you have just twisted my post.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
At the AGM of the supporter's club, Paul Barber was challenged as to why the club released the news at 8pm on Sunday night, and Barber admitted that the club did not know that Gus Poyet was on tv that night.

Which is ineptitude of the highest order on the club's part IMHO...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And I do not believe that. As a football club in the middle of negotiations with his representatives, they would have to be embarrassingly inept not to know he was on a nationally televised football show, and/or should have had the grace to explain they were unaware of his TV appearance instead of suggesting he was lying.

Nevertheless, he sat in front of a room of about 50 people and said that.
The meeting is minuted in the August copy of the Albion Almanac which I will email to anyone who would like a copy. Pm me an email address.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm a bit upset that you haven't thanked me for finding the article for you.

You know, the one where Gus said he wants the truth to come out.

Just a simple thanks would do.

I'm not sure you should take as gospel everything that Gus says.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Do you REALLY believe that?

I'm more inclined to believe he was given a deadline and let it lapse, but who knows.

Do I really believe what?That last point? I don't know. But the way this discussion has gone it has been suggested the club had to fire him at 8pm because that was the deadline they set, and until that they were negotiating. People defending the clubs actions are making that suggestion. Gus was also making the suggestion that negotiations were ongoing. If both ides agree that, as a minimum, negotiations were going on until 8pm (with the debate being whether it was ongoing as gus claims, or set to end at 8pm as the club/people defending the clubs firing of him on air claim)

As such, if he has become secluded in TV studio before this deadline, how can he release a more gus friendly statement about the end of his time with us?

As for the rest, yes. He and the club could have easily arranged a more suitable deadline, and the argument the club had to make a public announcement confirming his firing at 8pm because pre-seas started the next day is a nonsense argument.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Quote Originally Posted by symyjym: Are you saying that Gus should have chosen the deadline

or

Quote Originally Posted by symyjym: The players were due to be back in and working on Monday morning, Blooms club statement on Tuesday, and Oscar was arriving on Thursday.

The deadline was there for no other reason than the season was starting the following morning.

Quote Originally Posted by symyjym: Gus could have broken the news on BBC with a different more headline friendly scenario.

This has to be one of the weakest arguments I have come across.

Read my other posts that give his option which says: "It could have quite easily have been him breaking the news on the BBC that he has left our club amicably and under mutual consent."

Answer this: Why did Gus not take his opportunity to resign with dignity before it even got to Sunday?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
And I do not believe that. Acker, do be careful!As a football club in the middle of negotiations with his representatives, they would have to be embarrassingly inept not to know he was on a nationally televised football showThe only way they could reasonably have known is if Gus or his representatives told them. Surely you're not suggesting that they should keep an eye on the TV listings on the off-chance he was appearing? If, as you suggest, PB has lied about not knowing that Gus was on TV (and, for the record, I believe him) and you concede that the only way he could have known is if Gus had told him, why hasn't Gus or his representatives publicly said "Yes, you did. We told you."?, and/or should have had the grace to explain they were unaware of his TV appearance in their follow up press release instead of (or as well as) suggesting he was lying.Yes, I agree with this. I suspect that the press release that came out after Gus' TV appearance was rushed out, with insufficient proof reading/thinking.

The most likely scenario to me is that there was a deadline imposed by the club, they didn't know about the TV appearance, the deadline was reached and they went to press shortly after the deadline.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here