Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet to Sunderland

D

Deleted member 22389

I want Gus to do well too, however I would love him to come down with Sunderland in the FA Cup. That would be as bigger match as Arsenal, Palace for me.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm clearly in a very small camp of hoping Gus does well if he get's the job ! If nothing else it would rub the bitter and twisted up the wrong way.

I'm with you. I don't understand the bitterness and twisting of facts to suit prejudices. He did a great job with us. It finished and now we should all move on. There are quite a few on here who are still determined to paint things worse than they actually were.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Fulham still seems the better fit for me, though you have to ask if Fulham supposedly came in for him before and if this was the source of all the trouble, why didn't they appoint him then? Presumably, despite Al Fayed's and the new guy's millions, they didn't want to have to pay us off and then pay Jol off. Shortly after all this blew up, Jol was signing players - hardly likely to have been allowed if you were to be fired. With their poor start though and no compensation issue regarding Poyet, I guess the game has changed. Wherever he goes and particularly Fulham, I can see Bridcutt going. With Andrews and Ince playing so well, I'm not sure that matters too much, so long as the fee is good. Ulloa, though - hands off please. If Sunderland were willing to pay £10 million for Fletcher, surely TB would hold out for more. Interestingly, his going to our friends up the road is to me quite likely. Can just see the Palace fans on here and the BBS saying that they always rated him.

By the way, somebody up thread talked about foreign "nuttiness". I don't think it is a foreign issue - you only have to look at Martinez and Oscar, both models of calmness. The nearest comparison with Di Canio for me is Martin "Mad Dog" Allen.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I'm with you. I don't understand the bitterness and twisting of facts to suit prejudices. He did a great job with us. It finished and now we should all move on. There are quite a few on here who are still determined to paint things worse than they actually were.

Once again, good luck to Gus if he gets to sunderland, but the time for moving on for me is after any legal action ( which let's face it could hurt the club ) gets resolved.
At that point the final line is drawn.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
apart from the point of what he knew in advance, this isnt even accurate: the announcment was while the first half of the game, not while he was on TV. if the producers had decided otherwise, it wouldnt even have been noted at half time. (was the game that dull?)

You should listen to the Albion roar episode with nick szcepanik. That was a cock up by the Albion but the media knew the story immediately and were on it. Nobody can blame the BBC for covering what was a huge story that landed straight in their laps.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You should listen to the Albion roar episode with nick szcepanik. That was a cock up by the Albion but the media knew the story immediately and were on it. Nobody can blame the BBC for covering what was a huge story that landed straight in their laps.

At the AGM of the supporter's club, Paul Barber was challenged as to why the club released the news at 8pm on Sunday night, and Barber admitted that the club did not know that Gus Poyet was on tv that night.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I sincerely hope he gets the Sunderland job. It's not as glamorous an appointment as Newcastle or as close to home as Fulham, so the prospect of losing our best players is reduced.

In addition, I'm sure Sunderland will encourage him to drop the court case and focus on the job in hand of keeping them up, and pay him accordingly. I'm not convinced he'll do this, but he'd be a fool to risk so much for so little.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
What like you have ???

I certainly have. I'm concentrating on supporting the club and its new manager, rather than the big-mouthed fool who tried (and failed) to put himself first, and the club a very distant second. Maybe you and your cronies should too?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

To be honest, equally I don't understand the pretty painting of Gus’s picture by some.

The moment I lost respect for him was when he had the opportunity to resign and chose not to.

He was unable to understand the benefits to himself in departing and it is clear to see that it will work out very well for him by being available for good offers. If it’s not Sunderland it will be some other Prem job at some point this season.

Is he going to phone up Bloom and say “in hindsight leaving Brighton was the best thing that ever happened to me, and I will be dropping the case for unfair dismissal”?

Gus wrote his own headlines, and this sacked live on BBC rubbish could have quite easily have been him breaking the news that he has left our club amicably and under mutual consent.

He doesn’t deserve the glitter being thrown at him whilst at the same time taking us to court.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Firstly, can you debate the subject without the spitefulness, and secondly, Poyet was upset about being sacked for 'gross misconduct'. Without going into the ins and outs of the situation, he said he wanted to clear his name. He understood if results on the field weren't positive that a sacking is inevitable, but having that hanging over him, is the reason he was thinking of going to court.
Magilton took Ipswich to court and although it took 3 years, he won his case for being sacked for allegedly hitting a player in the changing room. I'm not saying that Poyet will carry on with his case, but getting a new job will not necessarily cease any action that he wants to take.

If he goes to court, he loses. That's the only thing keeping him out of it. Don't believe his BS.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Is there actually any evidence that he has taken us to court, surely we would know about it? Also surely there is some time limitation as to when he must give up all threat of legal action, he can't just swan around on various shows threatening it, either needs to admit he's not going to court or put his money where his mouth is, well at least now Bloom doesn't have to stump up the money for his ego anymore.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Could it not simply have been that he would be sacked by a certain time unless a compromise agreement was reached ? ???

The deadline for the agreement passed without outcome, and so the sacking was actioned at the deadline as warned ?

It's possible, but if so the wording of their statement is inaccurate and should have read that gus knew their negotiations (which he had said he believed were ongoing) had a deadline. Also, why would gus agree to a deadline that expired while he was on TV? And again, even if that was the deadline for their negotiations, why did the club release the statement confirming his firing while he was "on" tv? The statement isn't a requirement of firing him, it could have waited.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
This would be the icing on the cake that is the farce at Sunderland.
For me it would like being infatuated with a woman and worshiping from afar but believing you have no chance. Then just when you've realised what a nasty bitch she is and that beneath the powder and paint she's ugly as sin, she saunters over and says "I hear you fancy me, well shall we go ?"

Brilliant! :lolol:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
According to The Guardian, Gus is having reservations because the Sunderland director of football wields so much power. Surely that's going to be the same at any club he goes to at a higher level - there are going to be bigger hierarchies than we have at Brighton scrutinising every aspect of the playing budget and having a say on transfers in and out of the club, and I doubt Gus will ever get the autonomy he craves. Or anything like the autonomy he enjoyed with us, however limited he may have believed that was.

So, so true. Maybe, just maybe, he'll start to understand what he threw away.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It's possible, but if so the wording of their statement is inaccurate and should have read that their negotiations had a deadline. Also, why would gus agree to a deadline that expired while he was on TV? And again, even if that was the deadline for their negotiations, why did the club release the statement confirming his firing while he was "on" tv? The statement isn't a requirement of firing him, it could have waited.

Are you saying that Gus should have chosen the deadline???

The players were due to be back in and working on Monday morning, Blooms club statement on Tuesday, and Oscar was arriving on Thursday.

The deadline was there for no other reason than the season was starting the following morning.

Gus could have broken the news on BBC with a different more headline friendly scenario.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here