Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet to Sunderland

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I reckon he'd be fine you know. I think we more than anyone are aware of his ability to shore up a defence and not lose games.

As we discovered in the cup games away against Liverpool and Stoke.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Well, according to the club he only knew it was "pending" not that it had been confirmed.

Could it not simply have been that he would be sacked by a certain time unless a compromise agreement was reached ? ???

The deadline for the agreement passed without outcome, and so the sacking was actioned at the deadline as warned ?

Actaully I've no idea, but that would explain the arguments over semantics.

And good luck to Gus at Sunderland, he should really bite their hand off. He'll keep them up ( just ) I think as long as he's backed in the January window.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Poyet's schedule:

Take Sunderland job
Get to January
Bid for Bridcutt
??
Profit

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Could it not simply have been that he would be sacked by a certain time unless a compromise agreement was reached ? ???

The deadline for the agreement passed without outcome, and so the sacking was actioned at the deadline as warned ?.

That was almost certainly what happened. The club gave Poyet and his legal team a deadline which they didn't (or chose not to) meet which meant he was fired. He was aware of the deadline, his legal team were aware of it. It was their choice to ignore the deadline and knew the outcome if they failed to comply. To say he was fired 'Live On TV' is very tabloid.

I'm getting tired of all of this Poyet shit now. Let's hope he gets a job soon so we can all leave his playoff melt down behind us. Interviews may not be as unpredictably entertaining with Oscar in charge but I'm beginning to prefer Oscar's style more and more.

Gus who?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Poyet's schedule:

Take Sunderland job
Get to January
Bid for Bridcutt
??
Profit

As I pointed out to Andy Naylor when he tweeted about Poyet buying Bridcutt/ulloa; Sunderland bought 14 new players in August, I really can't see them buying many more in January. And if they did, I'm sure they'd be looking for one or two with Prem experience to fight their way out of a hole, not taking a chance to two more untried players

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
No he did not.

As I said on here before the fans forum, it was all agreed, poyet changed his mind at the last minute.

Not sure what the journalist could have known about that.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
That was almost certainly what happened. The club gave Poyet and his legal team a deadline which they didn't (or chose not to) meet which meant he was fired. He was aware of the deadline, his legal team were aware of it. It was their choice to ignore the deadline and knew the outcome if they failed to comply. To say he was fired 'Live On TV' is very tabloid.

I'm getting tired of all of this Poyet shit now. Let's hope he gets a job soon so we can all leave his playoff melt down behind us. Interviews may not be as unpredictably entertaining with Oscar in charge but I'm beginning to prefer Oscar's style more and more.

Gus who?

Exactly, the club gave him the opportunity to hand in his resignation and leave with dignity, or be fired by the time of the deadline.

Despite all the fall out, Bloom was still doing him a favour by making him available for other job opportunities and Gus probably had until 5pm on Sunday to choose his method of departure.

If he does get the Sunderland job it will probably be the biggest club he could have ever got at this moment in his career with his lack of experience as a manager in the Prem.

I hope he contacts Bloom, thanks him and apologises for being difficult in what should have been an amicable departure.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Gus who?

After the revelation from TB at the end of the fans forum where he said GP told him he wanted to go at the end of the season at the very latest 4 days before the Saint Patrick's Day Massacre and other things had gone on after that you can see why the official announcement of his sacking was timed to coincide with the BBC programme where Gus was a studio pundit. There would have been a deadline to reach an amicable decision , it isn't the club's responsibility if his legal team didn't make contact before Gus switched off his mobile.

D

Deleted member 22389

Looking back at this, it was a time for consolation, thanking the supporters and thanking the players, instead we got an interview about hitting the ceiling, wanting assurances from the club and basically talking himself out of the job. It appears we have certainly not hit the ceiling. We have been smart with our transfers and loans, and have ended up with a better team than last season, I honestly thought it wasn't possible, and we still have Orlandi, CMS, Bridcutt, Hoskins to come back.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm clearly in a very small camp of hoping Gus does well if he get's the job ! If nothing else it would rub the bitter and twisted up the wrong way.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
That's because he was....

He was on Live TV. We announced he'd been sacked.

That's being sacked whilst on live TV, no matter which way you look at it.

apart from the point of what he knew in advance, this isnt even accurate: the announcment was while the first half of the game, not while he was on TV. if the producers had decided otherwise, it wouldnt even have been noted at half time. (was the game that dull?)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here