Poyet NOT to Reading thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So Reading ask Bloom if they can speak to Poyet, Bloom says yes, so then sacks Poyet. Er, OK.

If Reading have asked, assumably Gus has said he wants to speak to them. Do you know how Bloom would feel about this then? Given our current situation and the unrest it is likely to cause, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that TB would feel letdown and decide he wants somebody in charge for next season who doesn't make it quite so obvious he sees us as a stepping stone. Even if Gus does turn down the job. Just a thought.

As an aside and regardless of what happens timing is appalling, if Gus was to go I'd feel pretty let down that he couldn't wait until the end of the season.

Last edited:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Why have they increased the amount of the parachute payments? It seems to go against the financial fair play rules as it means a club like Reading will be able to spend big again once they come down.

To Be honest I think that the parachute payments should be spread right through the Championship teams to make a more level playing field.

Well sadly it looks like he is going. My main reaction to this is not one of the typical "traitor" notion but one of sadness and a deep feeling of betrayal. Nobody is perfect and certainly Gus, whilst being here, has at times given the impression he is bigger than the club. They where mere undercurrents to a largely happy time to be an Albion fan, again thanks to Gus and his staff. Yet we are now so very close to the play offs and he has decided a money move, to a smaller club, is the way forward. Where on earth is there any loyalty in that? If Chelsea came calling etc then yes of course, good luck. But what about the project here? With the players, staff and fans?

I have never really hated a manager who has left us before. I think in this case, albeit hate being a strong word, it would be my overriding feeling for the man. The fact we are seemingly losing our manager to a nearly relegated team is beyond me.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Poyet to Reading thread, massively odds on, (maybe) in talks with them [merged]

To Be honest I think that the parachute payments should be spread right through the Championship teams to make a more level playing field.

Then you'd have L1 and L2 clubs moaning that they'll never be able to compete.

Sky"s money has destroyed ethics and morals in football. A pox on Murdoch and his empire.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Well sadly it looks like he is going. My main reaction to this is not one of the typical "traitor" notion but one of sadness and a deep feeling of betrayal. Nobody is perfect and certainly Gus, whilst being here, has at times given the impression he is bigger than the club. They where mere undercurrents to a largely happy time to be an Albion fan, again thanks to Gus and his staff. Yet we are now so very close to the play offs and he has decided a money move, to a smaller club, is the way forward. Where on earth is there any loyalty in that? If Chelsea came calling etc then yes of course, good luck. But what about the project here? With the players, staff and fans?

I have never really hated a manager who has left us before. I think in this case, albeit hate being a strong word, it would be my overriding feeling for the man. The fact we are seemingly losing our manager to a nearly relegated team is beyond me.

This pretty much sums up how I feel about the situation. That and a desire to see Reading fail spectacularly.

If I'm honest, I'm more concerned about losing our players than I am about losing Poyet now. We will find a replacement to move us forward-we are no longer the basket case of football. I bet Tony Bloom already has a couple of dozen SERIOUS applications. If we attract over 50 decent applications whenever the manager's job is available I'm confident that we will be more than happy with a replacement (if Poyet goes).

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

I'd go along with this. I'd even have wished him well if he'd gone to a lesser Prem club, even a struggling one at mid season but this bewilders me. Obv Reading are relegated and he'll have been given assurances about money to get them straight back but you only need look at Bolton, Blackburn and Wolves to see that money isn't the only thing that gets clubs promoted and even though it will give him a huge advantage there will be others in this league throwing money around. Reading haven't even got a Prem history of any note so the Championship is their natural level.

What will piss me off more than anything is that he'll be pulling the rug from under our play off ambitions. We may still make it, we may not have made it anyway but the impact on players will be huge and there's not even a close 2nd in the club that will be able to pick them up and galvanise them imo

I just hope that there was some other motive in him wanting to meet with them, like broadcasting to the outside world that he is definitely looking for the move up, and will be available in the summer. That way we might get through and also give TB a bit of time to think

I should be asleep :(

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
He will take his backroom staff I assume, Taricco etc but I think Oatway will remain to see the season out and you never know he may have picked up some of the Gus mentality when I comes to players and football.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

The money should flow proportionally right through the system, some even making it into non league. It all got fecked up years ago when the Prem League was established and decided to take the lot and screw everyone else

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
He will take his backroom staff I assume, Taricco etc but I think Oatway will remain to see the season out and you never know he may have picked up some of the Gus mentality when I comes to players and football.

Charlie's a smashing bloke but I'd sleep even less thinking he would take the reins temporarily

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I know it's a natural reaction for people to think Poyet will come back in for our players. But apart from Spanish Dave all the others are under contract, and I can't see TB letting Reading take our manager and our best players.

Well, your manager left for another Championship club where as ours is (yet again) being linked to a Premier League club..........

:bla::bla::bla::lolol: He's not jumping ship for anything else other than all the wonga he get whilst at Reading not to mention the buynig pot to buy new players, hopefully taking a few of your 1st teamers with him :thumbsup:

Normally I hate the way this is allowed to happen to clubs but not to you lot:cool: after all the sympathy shown when Dougie walked out on us for more cash.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Re: Poyet to Reading thread, massively odds on, (maybe) in talks with them [merged]

:bla::bla::bla::lolol: He's not jumping ship for anything else other than all the wonga he get whilst at Reading not to mention the buynig pot to buy new players, hopefully taking a few of your 1st teamers with him :thumbsup:

Normally I hate the way this is allowed to happen to clubs but not to you lot:cool: after all the sympathy shown when Dougie walked out on us for more cash.

Why don't you piss of from this thread before you get a ban.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Re: Poyet to Reading thread, massively odds on, (maybe) in talks with them [merged]

Please leave. Not a thread for your bile.

tommyseagull

Jan 11, 2012
They're not mentioning anyone else other than poyet on ssn this morning. I feel it would be disrespectful to the club, players, tony bloom and of course the fans for him to leave at this point in the season. At least wait until the end of the season to see which club is where etc. I can also see it from his point of view, more money for him, more money for players, and even if they do get relegated there's some nice parachute payments aswell.

If he does leave I'd like to see reading relegated and Brighton promoted! In my heart I am 90% sure he'll stay, he's done so much for the club and it would be sad to see him go.. But he won't!!! UTA!!

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton

I see SSN not running the "overwhelming favourite" story now. They have stirred it right up to make money on sky bet.

Yes I will be gutted if he does go but our club is bigger than Gus.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Sam Wallace knows no more about the situation than anyone else. He has consistently linked Gus with every job that has come along, including Blackburn and P*rtsm**th. This piece also contains several inaccuracies (did GP really "attract" Liam Bridcutt, who had been released by Chelsea and had nowhere else to go? - And, er, we did sign a striker: some bloke called Ulloa). Nor does he mention that the "frustrations" are as much to do with internal club politics as any spending limitations. This doesn't move the story on at all.

I'll take this version over a flaky piece in The Independent any day. Reads like Sam Wallace taking a flyer off the back of a chat with someone at Reading in the hope he can look like he's ahead of the game. There are far better placed journalists (of which I think you're one, unless I'm confused) who would know about this for sure, if there was that degree of certainty.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Reading asked.

Tony said "yeah sure have a chat with Gus I have always said I wont hold him back if a premiership team come knocking"

Gus would be stupid not to listen, and if he goes so what...

Good luck to him and thanks for everything you have done, after all "it is just a job to him".

How many people here would swap jobs if another company came in for you offering you more money ? be honest ! and add into the mix a higher profile for another step up the ladder, now I dont belive it would be the right choice for Gus but I like 95% of the people on NSC support Brighton there lies the problem.

We say in Gus we trust, well actually it should be in Bloom we trust, because at the end of the day he is the true man behind our revival and without his money, vision and yes his choice in picking Gus where would we be, I am sure Tony will pick right again if required.

Last edited:

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Reading asked.

Tony said "yeah sure have a chat with Gus I have always said I wont hold him back if a premiership team come knocking"

Gus would be stupid not to listen, and if he goes so what...

Good luck to him and thanks for everything you have done, after all "it is just a job to him".

How many people here would swap jobs if another company came in for you offering you more money ? be honest ! and add into the mix a higher profile for another step up the ladder, now I dont belive it would be the right choice for Gus but I like 95% of the people support Brighton there lies the problem.

We say in Gus we trust, well actually it should be in Bloom we trust, because at the end of the day he is the true man behind our revival and without his money, vision and yes his choice in picking Gus where would we be, I am sure Tony will pick right again if required.

Spot on, I trust Tony that if Poyet goes then he won't only appoint another good manager but he will stop Poyet ripping apart the team he has built here and moving it to Reading.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Odds with Bet 365 now:

Adkins 4/6
Dolan 15/2
GP 10/1

At the time of this post there are no odds currently available on Bet365 for the Reading job, only the Denmark job is being shown in the next manager markets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports