Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet NOT to Reading thread

TheReadingFan

Mar 20, 2013
Does being a premier team mean you have a better squad ? it hasn't helped blackburn bolton or wolves - yes I think our squad is at least on a par if not superior

I appreciate your view point, but I just can't see it. I believe we have the weakest squad in the division, but I still think it is stronger than the whole of the Championship. It is very much the same squad that won the division last year, or if not improved. You have some notable quality players in your squad, but I'm afraid it doesn't match to the depth and experience in our squad.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Evening gents. I have been hovering over the forum for a little while now and have seen a couple of posts that have simply baffled me, but I couldn't believe this one. Inferior squad? Please can you elaborate.

What is the word on the street in Reading about your manager's job?

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
The Rokerites, as was, Sunderland; quite possibly swapping places with you in a couple of months.

Ah cheers, is it an old nickname? I'm only young after all :dunce:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Re: Poyet to Reading thread, massively odds on, (maybe) in talks with them [merged]

No, I genuinely don't know. Don't recall seeing any of his posts before and don't recognise the name 'Rokerite' if it applies to a football club. :shrug:

Look up Roker Park ???

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
He's a youngster and probably not heard of Roker Park.

This is most certainly the case! I've heard of places like Ninian Park, the Dell, etc, but never Roker Park...

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
The Rokerites, as was, Sunderland; quite possibly swapping places with you in a couple of months.

Nah, that'll be Reading

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Does being a premier team mean you have a better squad ? it hasn't helped blackburn bolton or wolves - yes I think our squad is at least on a par if not superior

By that logic then Mcdermott is a much better manager than Gus for getting Reading promoted with an inferior squad then?!

Would be very disapointed and surprised if he did go to Reading but the only thing I could console myself with is that he didn't go to Southampton which was my fear all season.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I appreciate your view point, but I just can't see it. I believe we have the weakest squad in the division, but I still think it is stronger than the whole of the Championship. It is very much the same squad that won the division last year, or if not improved. You have some notable quality players in your squad, but I'm afraid it doesn't match to the depth and experience in our squad.

With regards to the wider issue though - I'm not sure how relevant that is to the actual question. When you go down, you will lose a lot of those players and would probably have a similar quality side to ours and other Championship teams. Whereas if we go up, we could built our squad to the level of yours (or higher, but I am not interested in that argument). So it's still very much a temporary upwards move.

TheReadingFan

Mar 20, 2013
I agree, we are doomed. But because the fact our squad is the weakest in the division, I can't see many players leaving and for those reasons, I am quietly confident we can go back up with the right person in charge. The reasons teams have faltered when getting relegated was they lost notable players and couldn't replace them, the likes of Newcastle and West Ham had the financial means that they didn't have to sell their squad when they went down, I feel we would be in the same position.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden

I am including Upson and Bridge - but if you also add in Vicente, Lopez Bridcutt, Kuzack, Buckley,Ulloa we have the spine of a lower prem squad

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
Poyet to Reading thread, massively odds on, (maybe) in talks with them [merged]

Would there be money to spend at Reading should Poyet go? I can't recall them spending any money in the transfer window to try to stay in the premier league.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
No, I genuinely don't know. Don't recall seeing any of his posts before and don't recognise the name 'Rokerite' if it applies to a football club. :shrug:

I'm actually embarrassed for you :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here