Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet explores loan striker option?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I thought Barnes had an acceptable game on Saturday.

Same here, I thought he worked really hard and looked quite classy at times. Got fouled at one stage and got straight up again to try and win the ball before the referee stopped play anyway, which I was quite impressed with as he can be a bit of a drama queen at times. There was only one cringeworthy moment where he lost the ball in a tackle near the south west corner, and then stood there cursing himself, seemingly thinking it was a lost cause or was going out of play, when in fact if he'd run after it, he'd have got it straight back. I think it was a genuine mistake on his part, but it was painful to watch, purely because I couldn't help thinking it would give his (ever stupid) critics exactly the sort of ammunition they love.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I thought Barnes had an acceptable game on Saturday.
If you think acceptable is waiting for the game to come to him, being missing as support for CMS, I am all for a mix of opinions, but this 'acceptable' performance is producing exactly what you are seeing,... nothing in the way of a threat up top, no link play between midfield and the forwards.... making things easy for the Boro defence, they just had CMS to mark, easy when he is outnumbered two or even three to one.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Same here, I thought he worked really hard and looked quite classy at times. Got fouled at one stage and got straight up again to try and win the ball before the referee stopped play anyway, which I was quite impressed with as he can be a bit of a drama queen at times. There was only one cringeworthy moment where he lost the ball in a tackle near the south west corner, and then stood there cursing himself, seemingly thinking it was a lost cause or was going out of play, when in fact if he'd run after it, he'd have got it straight back. I think it was a genuine mistake on his part, but it was painful to watch, purely because I couldn't help thinking it would give his (ever stupid) critics exactly the sort of ammunition they love.
I believe stupidity comes from the blind support for a player who long ago reached his level, and that level is sadly found wanting in the upper reaches of the Championship. But he may come good again, when continued performances like this lead us into the lower reaches, or worse over the next season or two.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I believe stupidity comes from the blind support for a player who long ago reached his level, and that level is sadly found wanting in the upper reaches of the Championship. But he may come good again, when continued performances like this lead us into the lower reaches, or worse over the next season or two.
Yes, yes we know what you think about Barnes. You've told us about SEVEN times on this thread alone FFS. You don't rate him, others do. Ho hum.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yep, season's over already. At least we didn't get relegated, so he's to next season.

Agreed. We're FOUR points off top spot. How on earth are we meant to get 4 points when there's only 30+ games to go?!

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I thought Dobbie looked threatening when he came on, to be honest. A tidy, intelligent player who will come good for us.

I'm not convinced a lack of striker is what is killing us at the moment anyway. It's not like we are not creating chances. We should have scored 3 or 4 on Saturday, and even tucking one or two of them away would have meant this thread didn't happen. Our biggest problems are Poyet not starting with Buckley (who is probably our best attacking player) and the whole team consistently starting too sluggishly, and lacking any pace and urgency when attacking. It's all very well keeping the ball but we are FAR too slow to look to create openings.

Totally agree.
If you want to play tippy tappy Barcelona/Spanish style football, you need pace, our midfield is far to slow in attack.
You need Porsche's and Ferrari's, we have Vauxhall's and Fords at the moment.
Set pieces are a waste of time, corners are bread and butter to defenders like Woodgate.
We had a free kick just outside the box on Saturday in injury time. From ESU you could see the plan, Bridders was expected to put it far post,but Bruno was 10 yards outside their box waiting for the square ball to blast. Liam delayed it, Bruno went towards him and the moment was gone, totally wasted.
We need more pace

Gullzone

Apr 14, 2012
This Green and Pleasant Land
Yes, yes we know what you think about Barnes. You've told us about SEVEN times on this thread alone FFS. You don't rate him, others do. Ho hum.

Just picking up on this thread and I know its easy to have a negative opinion but I deliberately watched him Saturday and he is very weak on the ball, doesnt really move too far and his first touch is often poor. That said he probably had two of the best chances to score the header and the shot but he didnt and that's part of the problem!!

I believe a strong athletic striker with guile would benefit the team and certainly accommodate a plan B if necessary

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Fortunately, the list that do is shortening with each passing game, lets hope its not too late when the man that matters recognises it too.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Some say he missed a sitter with that header straight into Steele
He should have buried that header, best chance of the match, a poor effort IMHO

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
But thats all he did,.. one pass and one shot all game,....

Well, yes, that is accurate if you ignore the defensive headers (at least two from corners), tracking back, tackling, chasing, harrying and overall solid play. He was one of the only players to contribute anything decent on Saturday.

However, I rate Ashley Barnes, you don't, therefore I look for the good things he does, you look for the bad.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I've gone on here and said in the past that I don't rate him but to be fair to him I thought he had a good game on Saturday.

Can't help thinking that even though we need a striker desperately especially one that can find the net some posts on here are right. Our main problem is our slow play and lethargy early in the game. If there's no Buckley/Vicente/a fit LuaLua in the starting team then your relying on our fullbacks. The opposition knows this so shuts them down like they did on Saturday.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Agreed. We're FOUR points off top spot. How on earth are we meant to get 4 points when there's only 30+ games to go?!

Exactly. We are at the BASE of one HELL of a mountain now.

If only they awarded something like 3 WHOLE points for a win. That would help us massivly.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Fortunately, the list that do is shortening with each passing game, lets hope its not too late when the man that matters recognises it too.

Is that "fortunate"? Is that not unfortunate, as opposed to seeing Barnes have a run of great games, and goals that see his detractors slowly fall by the wayside. It's almost as if you are willing him to play badly. Surely not.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Really do not think we need a target man we need a bit more creativity and width

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He should have buried that header, best chance of the match, a poor effort IMHO

Good assesment. Barnes headed it powerfully, and kept it down. The keeper just kept it out and was lucky that the rebound didn't go in. Hammond and Crofts both had just as clear headed opportunities (Hammond's was basically IDENTICAL to Barnes'), but its Barnes who is to blame. Well done.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well, yes, that is accurate if you ignore the defensive headers (at least two from corners), tracking back, tackling, chasing, harrying and overall solid play. He was one of the only players to contribute anything decent on Saturday.

However, I rate Ashley Barnes, you don't, therefore I look for the good things he does, you look for the bad.

Thank God for that I was starting to think I'd been watching a different player to quite a few on here, at least he gets into position and gets his shots away with reasonable accuracy rather than trying to walk the ball into the net like so many of his team mates. Most of the haters deliberately don't see all the good things he does in defence and link up play. Barnes is well worth his place imo.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I thought Dobbie looked threatening when he came on, to be honest. A tidy, intelligent player who will come good for us.

I'm not convinced a lack of striker is what is killing us at the moment anyway. It's not like we are not creating chances. We should have scored 3 or 4 on Saturday, and even tucking one or two of them away would have meant this thread didn't happen. Our biggest problems are Poyet not starting with Buckley (who is probably our best attacking player) and the whole team consistently starting too sluggishly, and lacking any pace and urgency when attacking. It's all very well keeping the ball but we are FAR too slow to look to create openings.

I can only rely of feedback on here or from player (when it works) but I got the impression that earlier on when we were beating Burnley S. Weds etc we were moving the ball around much faster. So has something else changed?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here