[Football] Potter to West Ham?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hammers fans and Potter - just perfect. Hopefully Millwall a year later

mile oak

May 21, 2023
They deserve each other both self inflated ego failures. West Hamlet are massive until the er 45th minute, when their fans desert them in their thousands.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I don't think he will ever coach again.
Thoroughly torched at Chelsea and has no need for any monitary reward now.
Early retirement, never to be seen again, except for going to matches now and again to wind folk up on here !

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It’s mad though isn’t it..? Tapping someone up (which we all know goes on) for such a high profile job someone is already doing..!
Alternatively, it's all utter rubbish. As is the norm.

Swegulls

Aug 29, 2023
Stockholm
Is he really suited to the England job? It seems to me that Potter likes his players to know a range of systems and positions and to play well in those positions and systems takes time and experience to ge there (and accepting some struggle with results and performances while the squad learns them all).

When you get the players for a couple of weeks several times throughout the year, how much longer would this process be? Would the nation have the patience? Chelsea didn't. You also need the willingness of the players to buy into this and give their all even when they're not in their favoured position. Again, the chelsea players didn't. And part of that is a lack of respect for him. Top England stars have won the premier league, won champions leagues, europa, FA, League cup. What did Potter achieve?
He won the Swedish cup 😀

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is he really suited to the England job? It seems to me that Potter likes his players to know a range of systems and positions and to play well in those positions and systems takes time and experience to ge there (and accepting some struggle with results and performances while the squad learns them all).

When you get the players for a couple of weeks several times throughout the year, how much longer would this process be? Would the nation have the patience? Chelsea didn't. You also need the willingness of the players to buy into this and give their all even when they're not in their favoured position. Again, the chelsea players didn't. And part of that is a lack of respect for him. Top England stars have won the premier league, won champions leagues, europa, FA, League cup. What did Potter achieve?
I was basing it on England manager GPott only has to get twitchy about the booooooooos one week every 2 years.

Sure it'll be the whole country booing and not one spotty oik but hey we loves a history lesson.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
It’s mad though isn’t it..? Tapping someone up (which we all know goes on) for such a high profile job someone is already doing..!
Isn't tapping up sounding out a manager who's already in a job?

Edit: someone beat me to it

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Can't wait until Potter and the West Ham massive experience a repeat of our club-record 14 home games without a victory under Potter with one solitary win at the Amex in the calendar year of 2020!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I can see it happening. And I can possibly see it working.

What he will have there, that he didn't have here are top quality forward players. No more fiddling about with Ali J, Andone, Maupay. He'll have Bowen, Antonio, Kudus, JWP in behind. There is potential there to unlock.

The trouble is, getting them the ball. Here he could play through the lines with top quality ball playing centre backs, Dunky and Webby at the time were exceptional. All Zouma can do is boot something, be it a ball or a cat, as hard as he can.

I agree with the point about youth as well. GP's strength is integrating young and senior players into a coherent structure. There's no culture of youth coming through there. He would have to get their fans used to periods of players being inconsistent and outmuscled, while high wage players sat on the bench. But again, there's hope. They sit second in PL2.

It wouldn't be the worst job to take in my view.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
I think ppl need to calm down a bit with the Potter-bashing and ridiculing. I’m not coming from a place of sympathy or gratitude or anything like that, because it’s kinda just a game and also they make a killing and he f***ed off to Chelsea when it just clicked for us and tore out the heart of the team…but he did help turn us in to the coolest team in the league with a great bunch of players. Everyone wanted to be a Brighton fan. Even Palace (Zaha) was commenting how progressive we were, and now their fans want a turn on the Potters wheel.

Potter at West Ham would be a wonderful revolution of the Potters wheel.
Can't wait until Potter and the West Ham massive experience a repeat of our club-record 14 home games without a victory under Potter with one solitary win at the Amex in the calendar year of 2020!

I agree this was bleak but whenever it was bad I just remember CH playing two left backs in a bid to hang on to a 0-1 defeat at home. This winless run was, in part, due to an abysmal option of strikers. Wasn’t Maups and our “NeW RoOnEY £50m kid” that everyone was creaming our main men?

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
I can see it happening. And I can possibly see it working.

What he will have there, that he didn't have here are top quality forward players. No more fiddling about with Ali J, Andone, Maupay. He'll have Bowen, Antonio, Kudus, JWP in behind. There is potential there to unlock.

The trouble is, getting them the ball. Here he could play through the lines with top quality ball playing centre backs, Dunky and Webby at the time were exceptional. All Zouma can do is boot something, be it a ball or a cat, as hard as he can.

I agree with the point about youth as well. GP's strength is integrating young and senior players into a coherent structure. There's no culture of youth coming through there. He would have to get their fans used to periods of players being inconsistent and outmuscled, while high wage players sat on the bench. But again, there's hope. They sit second in PL2.

It wouldn't be the worst job to take in my view.

Zouma might be a total baller and GP would make him a more modern player. The Dunk transformation suggests it can be done.

Secondly, on youth, how do you know West Ham’s youth situation? Unless you actively follow PL2. Just asking. I remember they lost that kid to Newcastle a year or so back, so something is going right. Maybe they have a Ben White or Big Ev in their development squad or something that we are yet to learn of. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I don't think he will ever coach again.
Thoroughly torched at Chelsea and has no need for any monitary reward now.
Early retirement, never to be seen again, except for going to matches now and again to wind folk up on here !
You think that was his plan all along, when he was in Sweden?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Zouma might be a total baller and GP would make him a more modern player. The Dunk transformation suggests it can be done.

Secondly, on youth, how do you know West Ham’s youth situation? Unless you actively follow PL2. Just asking. I remember they lost that kid to Newcastle a year or so back, so something is going right. Maybe they have a Ben White or Big Ev in their development squad or something that we are yet to learn of. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Well yes, like I say, West Ham youth situation seems to be good. Though they've not bought someone through for a long time. Not since Rice. Johnson is playing a bit I suppose. I'm not sure their fan base have the patience, though i'm sure they like the idea.

As for Zouma, Wash your mouth out comparing our fine captain with that cat kicking prick.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports