[Albion] Potter: nasty post match interview

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
It was not nasty, his usual pragmatic view, giving credit where credits due, his comments about the crowd meh, you play with intensity and the crowd respond, he knows that. He knew we would be up for it from top to bottom of the club. Maybe some frustration, but don’t be fooled we could be like that today week in week out, he would still have gone, so a lame excuse if that’s the case.
I just think it hurt him, he knows we’re a good club throughout and is always on borrowed time at Chelsea, here you are appreciated and he’s probably jealous of De Zerbi inheriting such a good squad and ethos.

Last edited:

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Ben Roberts got a particularly torrid time of it, when he had the thankless task of getting the replacement keeper warmed up in front of the North Stand at HT. Did he not like that :lol:
🤣 enjoyed watching Cucurella doing the walk of shame in front of the NS as well. I guess he's really interested in aeroplanes because his gaze was fixed on the sky as a really interesting plane must have just taken off from Gatwick.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
FFS why is this so difficult for people to understand.

We are now, we always have been, we always will be...

A REACTIVE CROWD.

Give us something to react too and we are phenomenal.
Kill is with a thousand passes leading to a missed shot and we will do, say and sing nothing.
Very true.

We've always needed help to get us going. Doesn't have to be something on the pitch either, the best example being Ipswich at home when those idiots unfurled their daft banner. Pre-match atmosphere was as tame as it gets, in 10 seconds flat they managed to turn the Amex hostile :lolol:

It won't happen every week, never had and never will. Just enjoy it when it's good :thumbsup:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Can't see a problem with it.

I'm really enjoying the win today. Not concerned about Potter and his team. I have no animosity, and things are much more enjoyable when you don't use hate as a nutrient. Enjoyed the pantomime stuff and the 'getting sacked in the morning'. But folk can keep the toxicity. Life is so much better for less of it. It sours the enjoyment.

Thanks for posting the video, and your comment. I'm with you all the way.
Potter was utterly amazing for us, and what he said about his time with us is to the point. But he's gone now, his return generated some hostility but, more importantly, it generated an atmosphere, and it was a joyous experience to be there.
Instead of Potter, we have RDZ and I have to say that on the few occasions I saw him today, I loved his touchline antics. We move on. Gloriously.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Ben Roberts got a particularly torrid time of it, when he had the thankless task of getting the replacement keeper warmed up in front of the North Stand at HT. Did he not like that :lol:
Absolutely no free tickets at the Amex. That’s what a decent crowd can do and now that we know what an impact it can have, let’s hope we can keep it boiling.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Not sure what interview the OP is referring to but I was slightly taken aback by the tone of a comment he made about nothing to apologise for and almost taking credit for our win ..came across as slightly bitter …all open to interpretation I guess ..anyway more importantly we won 4/1 and Graham I don’t believe you achieved that when manager at Brighton…..time to move on now

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
'I've nothing to apologise for'.

I don't begrudge him moving to a big six club with an owner buying into his model of management.

He couldn't help the timing but sodding off a few games into a new season and taking Bruno and Roberts with him (and possibly Winstanley) isn't classy. Yes their grown men who had to make the decision themselves but he did that to suit himself without any care for the damage it does to our club. You could argue that he could apologise for that.

Other than that the interview is fine and classic Potter. Devoid of personality but respectful and measured. Listening to him on the radio did make me think how I'm not going to miss he sucking in of his teeth and going through the motions with questions.

I don't wish him well because he is Chelsea manager. I hope those horrible entitled fans turn on him.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Can't see owt wrong with what he said. He acknowledged the best team won, got in a slightly cheeky (but entirely justifiable) comment about how he knew we were a good team (he'd done a lot towards making it a good team!)

Nasty post-match interview? Nah - I've done with being touchy for the sake of being touchy!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Really don't think it was that bad
He wasn’t saying it was bad, it was a back handed insult as to why every Albion home game doesn’t have such a rac
It was not nasty, his usual pragmatic view, giving credit where credits due, his comments about the crowd meh, you play with intensity and the crowd respond, he knows that. He knew we would be up for it from top to bottom of the club. Maybe some frustration, but don’t be fooled we could be like today week in week out, he would still have gone, so a lame excuse if that’s the case.
I just think it hurt him, he knows we’re a good club throughout and is always on borrowed time at Chelsea, here you are appreciated and he’s probably jealous of De Zerbi inheriting such a good squad and ethos.
Absolutely. Hopefully everyone can move on. Wins like that have come about because of the coaching and belief Potter instilled in the group. He’s been hurt by a defeat he set the groundwork for - weird day for him. Thought his comment was a backhanded compliment to the atmosphere, and we all might echo why’s it not like that more often? (@Stat Brother already answered that.

Brilliant day and result. We’ve beaten everyone now. So excited by De Zerbi, I defended what he tried to do against Forest, he’s got what this team is about immediately - I’ve got high hopes there’s a lot more great days to come.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Don't get his comment about he 'took over when they were 4th bottom. They were the third worst team in the league'.

How you work that out Graham? Did you watch every single Cardiff and Brighton game that season and make that judgement? Bit odd.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I think we all need to move on and stop looking to be offended. It was a perfectly reasonable interview where he gave us full credit. As to the point about the atmosphere not only was he spot on but Lewis Dunk said the exact same thing.
Both Dunk & Sanchez were getting into the north stage during the Spurs game because of the general nervousness etc when we had the ball at the back so it’s definitely been affecting the players for a while

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Don't get his comment about he 'took over when they were 4th bottom. They were the third worst team in the league'.

How you work that out Graham? Did you watch every single Cardiff and Brighton game that season and make that judgement? Bit odd.
We finished 4th bottom. We were dreadful for large, large chunks of that season. He’s not wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports