Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter: nasty post match interview

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Firstly, cards on the table, I booed Potter and the other, not out of malice but because I was getting behind my team.

With regard to Potter's tenure, let's be honest, we were dire under Hughton at the end, whether that was the coaching or the lack of players or a combination, it had to change. I watch pretty much every game under Hughton, home and away, and at times it was painful. Statistically, Potter didn't achieve too much in his first two seasons but surely everyone can acknowledge the vastly different approach and even though we finished 15rh and 16th (as someone said) the games were far better to watch. Last season was particularly good apart from one really bad spell and I agree that the change coincided with the introduction of Caicedo. I'm sure if Potter had stayed we would have finished the season better than last.

However, I don't think anyone would disagree that Potter doesn't wear his heart on his sleeve. He was here to do a job. That's what he did and that's what we are grateful for. He left us in a better state than he found us but that was what he was paid to do. Unlike Bruno, I doubt he shed a tear at leaving us behind and no doubt he felt the same at Ostersunds and Swansea and will do the same at Chelsea when he eventually leaves. For those reasons I don't feel guilty about using him as a pantomime villain to help our team raise their game.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Easy to say now, isn't it? Just like it was easy for you to say in the summer that you would not hold it against GP if he left the club for a top one if TB / PB told him "ees complicated" about the transfer window.

If in ten years or so a season would go shite - which does happen to nearly ever club at some point or another - and the team got relegated into the Championship, while a certain Graham Potter was currently out of a job after leaving FC Barcelona with five Champions League-titles, don't you think you'd at least consider that bringing him in would be quite welcome..?
:facepalm:

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Are you just repeating Houghton instead of Hughton to piss people off? If so, it worked. No idea what you posted.
worked with me 😃
I loved Houghton but didn't like Porter much - Mallory was a legend, but Poyat was a bit of a prat

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Easy to say now, isn't it? Just like it was easy for you to say in the summer that you would not hold it against GP if he left the club for a top one if TB / PB told him "ees complicated" about the transfer window.

If in ten years or so a season would go shite - which does happen to nearly ever club at some point or another - and the team got relegated into the Championship, while a certain Graham Potter was currently out of a job after leaving FC Barcelona with five Champions League-titles, don't you think you'd at least consider that bringing him in would be quite welcome..?
ermm nope

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
It might well have blown over.

In normal circumstances.

However the poaching of Bruno was the game changer ( and I know Bruno gave the final Yes/No on that ). If that hadn't happened the wound of Potter leaving would have been far more superficial.
Nice analogy and last week with the news that they were coming back for Winstanley was poking the wound. As it stands in the short term it totally backfired because even the most moderate fans were fired up which in turn spurred on the team to a famous victory

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Nice analogy and last week with the news that they were coming back for Winstanley was poking the wound. As it stands in the short term it totally backfired because even the most moderate fans were fired up which in turn spurred on the team to a famous victory
Has Winstanley agreed to go yet or is it still under discussion?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

As if a five time Champions League winner would even answer the phone from the Championship Albion.

Good to see your expectations of Albion and GP don't disappoint :lolol:

In answer - no - I do not want to see GP back here under any circumstances but I do not hope he crashes and burns either. Never go back, unless you‘re Glenn Murray or Zamora :wink:

Last edited:

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

Never go back is a really good piece of advice. It's got nothing to do with Graham Potter behaving like an over-emotional child, it's just that it never seems to work out when you return.

We'll certainly have setbacks, Championship football is inevitable at some stage given how competitive this league is. When it happens it will be a struggle, those 'establish clubs' that drop seem to struggle more than the yo-yo's and we'll need a fresh approach to move forward again. Not someone that walked out as soon as he was being taken seriously outside of the club.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Never go back is a really good piece of advice. It's got nothing to do with Graham Potter behaving like an over-emotional child, it's just that it never seems to work out when you return.

We'll certainly have setbacks, Championship football is inevitable at some stage given how competitive this league is. When it happens it will be a struggle, those 'establish clubs' that drop seem to struggle more than the yo-yo's and we'll need a fresh approach to move forward again. Not someone that walked out as soon as he was being taken seriously outside of the club.
Micky Adams, Mullery both disasters the second time around. TB likes to progress can’t see him hiring a manager from the past.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Are you just repeating Houghton instead of Hughton to piss people off? If so, it worked. No idea what you posted.
I don’t why I did that 😳 Probably because my neighbour’s called Houghton and it’s stuck in my head today for various reasons - have edited my typo, thanks for pointing it out. But no, wasn’t to piss people off! The pount I was trying to make was that IMO there was/is a specific ‘project’ that Potter was part of ie become a firmly established top 10 club in the PL (and become financially sustainable which needs to go hand in hand with whats happing on the field) we had just begun to slot the football pieces into place by the end of last season and beginning of this, when he left - which other posters had pointed out and to which I was reiterating - many of us thought he would be here to push through at least until the end of this season to get another top 10 finish.

I’m not daft though, hitting the top 10 once or even twice is not consolidating our objectives as a top 10 club but continuing the shrewd signings with big sell-ons, the academy, BHA becoming more financially sustainable, increasing club revenue and getting the football ‘right’ are all part of the same long term project. I just happen to think just looking at our level of football (putting all the other stuff aside for a minute) - especially where it’s going with De Zerbi - is already proving to me that achieving a 10-7 PL finish with enough regularity (to make it a seasonal ‘drop’ in standard if we ‘don’t finish in the top 10) is entirely within our grasp within the next few years if the Club progresses as it has been with all the other parts of the long term project.

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Firstly, cards on the table, I booed Potter and the other, not out of malice but because I was getting behind my team.

With regard to Potter's tenure, let's be honest, we were dire under Hughton at the end, whether that was the coaching or the lack of players or a combination, it had to change. I watch pretty much every game under Hughton, home and away, and at times it was painful. Statistically, Potter didn't achieve too much in his first two seasons but surely everyone can acknowledge the vastly different approach and even though we finished 15rh and 16th (as someone said) the games were far better to watch. Last season was particularly good apart from one really bad spell and I agree that the change coincided with the introduction of Caicedo. I'm sure if Potter had stayed we would have finished the season better than last.

However, I don't think anyone would disagree that Potter doesn't wear his heart on his sleeve. He was here to do a job. That's what he did and that's what we are grateful for. He left us in a better state than he found us but that was what he was paid to do. Unlike Bruno, I doubt he shed a tear at leaving us behind and no doubt he felt the same at Ostersunds and Swansea and will do the same at Chelsea when he eventually leaves. For those reasons I don't feel guilty about using him as a pantomime villain to help our team raise their game
I’m not that bothered about Bruno great player but I’m not going to get upset about the guy who puts the cones out. Turns out he’s just another Oatway sad really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here