Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter In or Out?

Potter In or Out

• Total voters

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
We can't sign a top striker right now and highly doubt we will do so in the summer

So GP needs to get a tune out of the 5 strikers we currently have or it's bye bye prem and the squad we've built starts to crumble but by bit

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
swanny is a trained coach?

You wouldn’t give a shit about that if he disagreed with you. Sniping at Brighton fans because they aren’t trained coaches seems a bit odd on a Brighton fans forum. Are you a trained coach ?
By the way, I am a trained cricket coach. Doesn’t make my views on Sussex CCC any more valid than anyone else’s.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You wouldn’t give a shit about that if he disagreed with you. Sniping at Brighton fans because they aren’t trained coaches seems a bit odd on a Brighton fans forum. Are you a trained coach ?

I think there will be a few on here. I've got my Level One and would have done Level Two as I kept up my CPD, but my son's team's break up was made permanent by Covid and I've no desire to do it professionally :lol:

Anyone who's helped out at a grass roots club probably has L1 plus the medical and safeguarding.

Nevertheless, this is a message board where fans come to discuss and, for me, being an actual Brighton fan carries weight above any other category.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Fair enough.

This is kind of what I was driving at. I think a much better question than Potter In/Out (which is as binary and divisive as Brexit) would be "is Graham Potter the best coach available for this group of players?"

I'd love to know what [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] 's answer to that would be. I'm assuming "yes" from his post this morning but I don't think "change the strikers" is a valid answer to Potter In/Out for the simple reason that I don't think we will.

Given the obvious limitations of our forwards, I think a play style that creates a large number of chances is best approach. It may be true that relatively few of those are big "how on earth did that not go in" chances, but normally we only need to be scoring 1 or 2 goals a game anyway.

I might have more sympathy for the idea that a more restrained style would draw the other side out and give us clearer chances on the counter, if I hadn't seen us miss two penalties yesterday, in addition to all the misses in open play across the season.

There may well be a better coach out there, but I don't know who it is and unless they're a striker whisperer I'm not sure how they'd get an improvement in results.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Given the obvious limitations of our forwards, I think a play style that creates a large number of chances is best approach. It may be true that relatively few of those are big "how on earth did that not go in" chances, but normally we only need to be scoring 1 or 2 goals a game anyway.

I might have more sympathy for the idea that a more restrained style would draw the other side out and give us clearer chances on the counter, if I hadn't seen us miss two penalties yesterday, in addition to all the misses in open play across the season.

There may well be a better coach out there, but I don't know who it is and unless they're a striker whisperer I'm not sure how they'd get an improvement in results.

Until yesterday I would have said we need to play more on the break and create better chances. WA mentioned a lot of our wins have come when we’ve had less than 50% possession. But after spunking two pens and an open goal, who knows anymore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Until yesterday I would have said we need to play more on the break and create better chances. WA mentioned a lot of our wins have come when we’ve had less than 50% possession. But after spunking two pens and an open goal, who knows anymore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Presumably because our wins have come against more proactive teams (and Newcastle). Even in those games, there were plenty of chances missed, but we kept it tight at the other end so it didn't matter.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Fair enough.

This is kind of what I was driving at. I think a much better question than Potter In/Out (which is as binary and divisive as Brexit) would be "is Graham Potter the best coach available for this group of players?"

I'd love to know what [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] 's answer to that would be. I'm assuming "yes" from his post this morning but I don't think "change the strikers" is a valid answer to Potter In/Out for the simple reason that I don't think we will.
But that's not really any more of a relevant question than mine because a) clearly for some players he is a great coach and others he isn't, and b) he is our manager, and I'd only be interested in discussing this point if I knew who the alternative was. What I do know is that 1) we have 3 or 4 front players and I've seen enough - they're nearly all gash and 2) Potter has set this team up to have won far more games than it has. 66 chances in 3 games and ONE goal from a defender FFS. It isn't his fault that our useless forward players are so shit that they can't score tap-ins or even penalties. I was so prepared to join the Potter out legion a while back, but I simply can't based on Potter's contribution in the last 3 games because I honestly don't know what more he could have done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here