Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Post Office Scandal -

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Good analogy

It's quite shocking - she took decisions (which she now admits were wrong) that had a massive impact on people's lives and now just says she can't remember seeing the information that made her make those decisions...

OK then.
She has obviously been well schooled by lawyer. Saying what all the other PO investigators, lawyers & executives said; no I never saw it, no I didn't read it, I wasn't at the meetings, I trusted info from experts and so on and so on. What crap is Paula Vennells spew when she faces questions? Same old, same old; not my fault.

Postmistress interviewed on Breakfast said she just wanted the truth, not her truth, the real truth. Not going to get it.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Do you mean Fujitsu? Senior Fujitsu figures have appeared at the enquiry but I'm not aware of any of them explaining who was responsible for the secret room full of people remotely accessing branch accounts to try and hide system errors.

Just to put some context around the remote access comments. I've been in the IT game 25+ years and every system I've ever seen has some sort of remote access. If you phone up your insurance company within minutes someone at the other end can pull up your details, access your account, refund you money etc. The principals of this would be no different.

The questions that need asking who be what were the access, security, processes and procedures around this? The remote access thing is a red herring in my view.

Sorry, back to the stoning everyone

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Just to put some context around the remote access comments. I've been in the IT game 25+ years and every system I've ever seen has some sort of remote access. If you phone up your insurance company within minutes someone at the other end can pull up your details, access your account, refund you money etc. The principals of this would be no different.

The questions that need asking who be what were the access, security, processes and procedures around this? The remote access thing is a red herring in my view.

However PO kept saying only postmaters had access to their system so they must be crooks.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton

I'm with you on the red herring. Just because Fujitsu had access to the system, I doubt very much that someone sat in the basement punching in random amounts to be deducted from certain branches. But it was this fact that they lied about that really made headlines. In truth there was a glitch in the whole software system that was causing individual branches showing losses.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Much is to do with whoever audited the system. It was suggested in the hearing today that it had been audited several times - I find that amazing. Auditors need naming and shaming.

HyperTony

May 20, 2023
I'm with you on the red herring. Just because Fujitsu had access to the system, I doubt very much that someone sat in the basement punching in random amounts to be deducted from certain branches. But it was this fact that they lied about that really made headlines. In truth there was a glitch in the whole software system that was causing individual branches showing losses.

I've watched a fair bit recently and there's multiple things going on. Fujitsu expert providing unreliable evidence that refuted SMPR claims of systemic issues. PO then decided, they couldn't put on the stand as it was found they knew about issues with Horizon, but did continue to use them to guide PO prosecutions.

The remote access was known for a long time but spun by saying they couldn't edit or change entries made by SMPR's, but they could insert new transactions.

There were defects going back to 2010 that were known about that impacted multiple branches, legal staff knew but it was considered to be unrelated to the prosecutions (or that's the claim)

Deloitte did provide a technical audit and uncovered gaps and holes in controls that could have allowed a rogue individual to create ghost entries without SMPR knowing

Evidence of discussions about the Horizon issues not being disclosed properly, evidence and/or minutes of meetings alledged to have been got rid of

The overwhelming thing for me is how incompetent some the most senior people appear to be. The PO appeared to have been a total basket case, losing loads of money but all underwritten by the government. The Government claiming to have an arms length relationship is probably one of the most shocking aspects. It owns 100% of it!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here