Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Post-match report - Wolves

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Thought we were good today, especially in the first 25 minutes. Murphy was a very bright point for us, and him on the wing with Baldock supporting Hemed will be great to watch. We look like genuine promotion contenders this season, with strength in all areas of the pitch, especially defence.

Murphy looks exciting. My favourite type of footballer.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Only listened to the game on the radio so cannot comment in detail, but I did worry when three changes were announced. We have had a very settled side who have grown to know each other over the last few games so this was always going to be a tough ask, away from home against a fancied side too

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
We looked tired and unsettled by the changes. I only watched the stream but I got the impression that .greer plays less well with Dunk than he does with Uwe beside him. But despite everything we got a point and kept a clean sheet - we ground out a point, just like a successful side has to do and just like we couldn't for most of last season. The week rest has come at the right time.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
We looked tired and unsettled by the changes. I only watched the stream but I got the impression that .greer plays less well with Dunk than he does with Uwe beside him. But despite everything we got a point and kept a clean sheet - we ground out a point, just like a successful side has to do and just like we couldn't for most of last season. The week rest has come at the right time.

Couldn't agree more re Dunk and Greer. We were a bit ragged at times at the back, still a clean sheet is a clean sheet.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
They said we had no shape for the whole game on the radio!

They were totally wrong IMO. We were so organised. The subs certainly disrupted us, and injuries didn't help. Maybe I'm being too positive, I don't know.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
But I think we need more than a point a game average away to mid table teams.

Our average points away so far is 2. A mix of draws with a win thrown in every 2-3 away games will be enough for top 2, and I think this team is capable of that.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We are doing brilliantly but for me we are missing one up front and today was an example. He fitted the bill and we went for him. Shame, he would have unlocked it today
I completely agree. It is a shame, he's an excellent player at this level, but as I said, there has to be a limit. It was an absurd loan fee that would have made him cost 2 or 3 times as much as our most expensive player, with zero chance of a resale fee.

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
I can't believe nobody has mentioned how defensive Wolves played second half. It was like watching a barca game. We could basically walk the ball to about 20 yards out and then were met by 2 banks of 4 camped around their 18 box. The only space was out wide and we didn't have the types of strikers on the pitch to benefit from crosses into the box.

Credit should go to wolves and it's nice to see that as soon as the sending off, even being the home side, the effort they went to just to get a point against us.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Our average points away so far is 2. A mix of draws with a win thrown in every 2-3 away games will be enough for top 2, and I think this team is capable of that.
And that's exactly why we shouldn't 'take a point'. Not that we get the chance to 'take a point', it's a hypothetical idea. And now that we've left Wolves with a point, it's not the worst result. But if we want to aim for automatic promotion (which we should, even if we probably won't get it), we shouldn't settle for single points.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
We had enough chances in that game to win comfortably the main issue being our players seemed to lack the ability to put any force behind their shots. Baldock was also a big miss for us as he is behind so much of our good build up play. On a positive note another game where our central midfield look head and shoulders above the opposition

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
And that's exactly why we shouldn't 'take a point'. Not that we get the chance to 'take a point', it's a hypothetical idea. And now that we've left Wolves with a point, it's not the worst result. But if we want to aim for automatic promotion (which we should, even if we probably won't get it), we shouldn't settle for single points.

I don't think that we've set up or settled for a point in any game this year - scoring after having conceded equalisers against Fulham and Ipswich shows that. Sometimes though, things just don't go your way and you have to accept that there are days when you could play for 180 mins and not score.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I just watched the highlights, a bit unlucky not to win maybe we need more killer instinct but I would have taken a draw before the game, just little be disappointed we didn't get all 3 points after the sending off.
But that football what counts is our leauge postion at the end of the season .

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't think that we've set up or settled for a point in any game this year
You've misunderstood me. I wasn't talking about the attitude or effort of the team.manager. sheebo said that before the game he'd have taken a point - ie, hypothetically, if god had said you can have a point or wait and see, he'd have taken the point. And it's a view that several posters have expressed before games this season. And I'm just saying that we need more than a point on average, so if we just get 1 point away to each mid table team, it won't be enough. So, if god does ask me if I'll take a point (which I think is very unlikely, because he's really busy) then I'll decline, unless it's away to Middlesbrough.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Wasn't at the game but saw the second half via a live stream. From what I saw, we bossed the second half and created a host of chances but too many were straight at the keeper. On the highlights last night, poor penalty but totally different story had it gone in. We now regroup and hammer Bolton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here